maqroll

to be honest wherever hes been hes left mostly enemies (even at liverpool he made a lot of enemies amongst the board and its no secret players like gerrard or carragher werent in love with his ideas either) . Hes a dislikeable and overrated manager and person. Inter fans absolutely hate him, but had to put on with the same fanboyism from liverpool fans you've had. Liverpool fans should be recognised as a cult because thats what they're. Incapable of forming an articulate opinion about anything, they just cry, light candles and pat each other on the arm, "cmon la, YNWA". hysterical bunch of babies,. thank god they've another manager that reminds them of benitez, and he has the same small time paranoid complex of liverpool fans.

• Like 2

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those aren't the ones who are going to the games though.  The interview tonight was amazing, how the fans will react to Rafa in their next game is going to be very interesting.  

Maybe Rafa knows something we don't.  I think everybody expects Mourinho to be out at Real Madrid this summer regardless of whether they win the Champions League or not.  Will Rafa end up there?  He is a Madridista, born and raised in the city and he has spent about 15 years of his career in and around Real Madrid as a (youth) player and a coach, and he was briefly assistant manager there in the 1990s.  Does he still have friends at Real?  Is his stock still high in Spain?  He hasn't done much at all in the three years since he left Liverpool, he lasted less than half a season at Inter and he has only managed a little bit longer with Chelsea.  His next job will be huge in terms of what it means for his career because he cannot afford three disasters in a row, surely? 

cant see it. Capello was sacked for his style of football and Rafa teams are like a poorer version of Capellos

its very similar relationship to villa and mcleish though except mcleish didnt have a go at villa fans

Again (just like in the other thread) it isn't.

We hated McLeish because he was and is shit, was always going to be shit and will always be shit.

Yes coming from Blues didn't help, but the main reason no-one wanted or liked him was his poor reputation for results, and style of football.

Chelsea fans hate Benitez because of something he said about them. They don't have a footballing reason to be so against him. He hasn't been amazing for them but he hasn't been bad.

McLeish was awful for us. He was given a chance (not a huge one) by the fans. Benitez was never given any sort of chance.

its very similar relationship to villa and mcleish though except mcleish didnt have a go at villa fans

I thought the Villa fans who actually showed up to Villa Park on a weekly basis were fairly tolerant of Mcleish. There was no booing from the moment he walked through the door, and he didn't seem to suffer an adverse reaction as a result of his past, but more because of the team's poor form.

His next job will be huge in terms of what it means for his career because he cannot afford three disasters in a row, surely? 

Isn't this what he is trying to deal with in his rant? He's basically telling the world that although it might look like a failure at Chelsea, it's not his fault. He is halfway through a fixed term contract and he is already in (reputation) damage-limitation mode. All he is doing here is getting his retaliation in first.

I wasn't at McLeish's first home game but apparently he was applauded onto the pitch by the fans? The exact opposite happened with Benitez at his first home game.

He got a round of applause, the first time any sort of anti mcleish chanting arrived was the away game at wigan when on rhe 70th minute he replaced the injured bent with a midfielder so we could close out a 0-0 draw, to chants of you dont know what your doing, I was there it was the typical mcleish game.

Chelsea fans hate Benitez because of something he said about them. They don't have a footballing reason to be so against him. He hasn't been amazing for them but he hasn't been bad.

They were 7 points above Spurs and 5 points above Arsenal when Benitez took over. Since he's been there Spurs have gained 9 more points than them, and are now 2 points ahead. Arsenal, a club apparently in crisis, have gained 3 more points than them and are now only 2 points behind.

They went out of the League Cup over 2 legs to a mid-table Swansea City side.

Their performance in the above competitions has not been good enough under Benitez, given the squad they have.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

They were 7 points above Spurs and 5 points above Arsenal when Benitez took over. Since he's been there Spurs have gained 9 more points than them, and are now 2 points ahead. Arsenal, a club apparently in crisis, have gained 3 more points than them and are now only 2 points behind.

Their performance in the above competitions has not been good enough under Benitez, given the squad they have.

Fair enough. I won't argue with that.

But the point stands that he wasn't given a chance for non-footballing reasons. Whereas the reason people here were so anti McLeish was because of his footballing reputation, not his Blues connections.

I'm sorry but where is it written that fans of Chelsea or any team have to welcome a manager or player for that matter? They pay their money, they support their club and they are in my view perfectly welcome to hold whatever view they want.

Is they way they reacted to Rafa helping their team? No probably not but then I don't personally believe it is really having a negative effect either. I just think Rafa is looking for a way to deflect attention away from the rather poor job that he is doing in an attempt to try and look like a victim so he can walk away now or in the summer with a degree of sympathy. In that respect I don't think he is all too different to McLeish and the victim card he constantly played with the press before his departure and indeed after it.

He knew when he took the job how long his contract was and so did everyone else so it really doesn't matter what his job title was or that he didn't know it would include the word interim, the fact it was a contract until the end of the season showed that was the case as did Chelsea's pursuit of Pep. In fact it could be argued that it wasn't a mistake by the club giving him this title but an attempt to reduce the backlash to his appointment by letting the fans know it was a short term thing.

As for the notion it somehow weakened his position with the players, well frankly it wouldn't have mattered if he had a 5 year contract it would make no difference in that regard at all.

Rafa knew what he was going into, he knew he was disliked by the Chelsea fans, he knew they weren't happy with his appointment before he took the job, he knew the clubs record with managers and the influence of the players at the club and he knew how long his contract was.

Perhaps if he had performed a bit better in the job he might have won a few of the fans over but his performance is in danger of costing them a CL place so it is hardly surprising they aren't warming to him.

As for people comparing his reception to that of McLeish there really isn't much grounds for comparison the situations are very different.

The closest comparison I can imagine is if after the last few shit years of bad appointments and managerial changes we sacked Lambert and put Paul McGrath in charge as manager. Then McGrath led us up the table, into Europe and won the FA cup with what remained of the season only to be sacked, as everyone knew he would be because of the childish chairman who then fails to land his target and ends up appointing Ian Holloway. (He being the only manager I could think of who has been openly negative about our club) or perhaps Redknapp who has had a pop at our fans.

If that little scenario were to pan out I rather suspect that a rather large section of our support, perhaps even myself included, wouldn't be overly welcoming to Mr Holloway and I'd be openly hostile to Redknapp from the off.

If people really think we would have acted differently to the Chelsea fans in their situation, or that fans of countless other clubs wouldn't have done I think they are kidding themselves as I think Rafa is.

But even this scenario doesn't really get close to what RDM achieved in his short spell as manager, regardless of how much of it was down to him.

Rafa has done a bad job and it doesn't matter how much he shouts and who he points at people, especially in the game and the media shouldn't lose sight of that or the fact that he not the fans is responsible for that.

He has managed an 8-0 during this time. :mellow:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â