maqroll

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, if he didn't go down like that he could have gotten injured.

There wasn't contact, but there would have been if he hadn't dived. So, you know, purple monkey dishwasher

[/adkins]

Chelsea FC @chelseafc

Has football gone mad? Hazard is sent off for kicking the ball under a ball boy attempting to smother the ball rather than return it. #CFC (Tweet later deleted)

Apologies for earlier ballboy tweet. Hazard has now met with the ballboy and has said sorry. #CFC

Didi Hamann @DietmarHamann

What has the game come to if you tell your ballboys to slow the game down.... Football is watched all over the world #Rolemodel

Michael Owen @themichaelowen

I'm not saying Hazard isn't in the wrong but I hate to see a person who instigates a situation then cry foul for next to nothing.

Both the kid and Hazard were in the wrong. Not having Hazard tried to hurt him though. He just tried to toe poke it out of his grip.

Robbie Savage @RobbieSavage8

If the ballboy gives the ball straight back and does his job properly that doesn't happen !

Glenn Hoddle Sky Sports

"As a management team in European games you will tell the people who are instructing the ballboys that if you are winning the game, don't get the ball back quickly. That's your home advantage, in a way."

Gary Neville @GNev2

"@KyeHess: Gary give us your thoughts Gary Gary give us your thoughts #BallBoyLad Red. Have done similar things so not on my high horse!

Steven Pienaar @therealstevenpi

I'm not saying its the correct thing 2 do but when in the heat of the moment u just want the ball

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore

Hazard deserved red(violent conduct rule). Kid is a prat. Ball boy job is to give ball quickly .End of. Is that enough of an opinion?

Gareth Bale @GarethBale11

Unbelievable decision by the referee to send Hazard off but congrats to Swansea. Who'd have predicted this final?!

Joseph Barton @Joey7Barton

After reviewing last nights footage, I've come to the conclusion that the games gone. Ballboys aged 17, time wasting, then rollin round like ..they've been shot. Games gone. He was actually claiming to be best time waster in the world on twitter yesterday! WTF' that all about? ... Hazard only crime is he hasn't kicked him hard enough...

Rio Ferdinand @rioferdy5

17 year old ball boy....is that a wind up!!? Is being a ball boy now a career move??

Pat Nevin Radio 5 Live

"I was very disappointed with the way that the ballboy acted. He must have been watching footballers with the way that he rolled around and pretended to be injured. He's only got one job and his job is to go and give the ball back. What does he do? He keeps the ball. I have to say I was absolutely amazed this morning to find he's 17. Not 12. Not 13. He should know what his actions should be in that situation. His behaviour was disgraceful."

Asked whether he would have kicked the ballboy, Nevin replied? "I would have kicked the ball out from underneath him if he was behaving like that, 100%."

On Glenn Hoddle's point, I agree that you can't really blame ball boys for giving th eball back slowly.

But there's a difference between being slow, and lying on the ball deliberately stopping a player from getting it.

Was it a Swansea goal kick? Because that's really decider for me. If it was, what the feck is Hazard doing going after the ballboy in the first place? I agree that the kid looks like a right dick and acted one, but you'd expect Hazard to at least act like a grown-up.

Every time Bradford got a goal kick late on Tuesday Weimann would go and fetch the ball back for them to take it quicker, Hazard was just doing the same.

He did what footballers do week in week out. Time wasting, feigning injury, behaving in general like a prat. Football just isn't the sport it used to be, all this behaviour came in from abroad as well I might add. Kids watching the game now thing it's a normal part of the game, they've not seen anything else - very sad for the future of the sport. 

Institute a countdown clock or a running total of time the ball was not in play and this problem disappears.

Just sayin...

I was thinking about this during the CHelsea game.

Are there any other sports where so many rules are so obviously overruled all the time?

There seems to be so much in football that is just overlooked. It's just not strict enough.

Like the keepers only holding it for 6 seconds rule. I was counting last night near the end and on several occasions, Tremmel had the ball in his hands for over 15 seconds.

In other sports it would be 6 seconds, whistle goes, indirect free kick. Don't like it? Don't hold onto the ball for so long then.

It's not like the shot clock in basketball runs out and the refs just go "ah give 'em 10 seconds more"

• Like 1

(OT now) but 1 rule I have never understood why it is overlooked (and to be honest if it was enforced it would be a good thing) is obvious player obstruction when a ball is rolling out of play.

Why is a defender allowed to hold off a player trying to stop a ball going out for a goal kick without any attempt to play the ball? This should be penalised and it would be good for the sport as it would force the defender to do 'something' with the ball (probably try and either play it back to the keeper or stick it out for a throw).

In certain situations, taking a leaf out of Gridiron's book would be a good one.

It would end the debate about injury time, for example. If the clock actually stopped when the ref stopped his watch it would add transparency to the situation.

(OT now) but 1 rule I have never understood why it is overlooked (and to be honest if it was enforced it would be a good thing) is obvious player obstruction when a ball is rolling out of play.

Why is a defender allowed to hold off a player trying to stop a ball going out for a goal kick without any attempt to play the ball? This should be penalised and it would be good for the sport as it would force the defender to do 'something' with the ball (probably try and either play it back to the keeper or stick it out for a throw).

Comes under the section about shielding the ball for tactical reasons. As long as the ball is within playing distance (and you may argue how far away from a player that is), a player can shield the ball from thier opponent.

I'd take the timing of the game out of the ref's hands altogether. Let the 4th Official do it, ball goes out of play, clock stops until it crosses the white line on its way back in. From goal kicks the clock starts again when the keeper kicks it. No more debates about timewasting or Fergie time. Simple.

• Like 1

If you literally stopped the clock every time the ball went out of play, or the game was stopped for a foul etc then most games would last for over 2 hours. I suspect.

Checky

There's no fecking way I'd get 130 minutes of football past the missus on a Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Shillzz

yeah let's have a countdown clock

oh, and whilst we're at it, let's change the goals so we don't have to ponder whether the ball crossed the line. I dunno, we could maybe invert the goals so the bar is a hoop and the net is below it, then if the ball does cross the line we know because it drops to the floor

perhaps if the pitch was much smaller too, and made of wood, and indoors

• Like 1

In certain situations, taking a leaf out of Gridiron's book would be a good one.

It would end the debate about injury time, for example. If the clock actually stopped when the ref stopped his watch it would add transparency to the situation.

be longer games as on average the ball is only in play 25 minutes a half

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â