London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

My Mrs is at the tennis ( I didnt bother in the end), just seen her on TV :-)

At least you know she is definitely at the tennis then. :winkold:

Ha ha yeah, but i don't recognise the bloke next to her :shock:

Swimming is flipping competitive. Even the Aussies are struggling and they're traditionally very good in the pool.

It'll take years of investment and consistent competition before our swimmers get anywhere close to where the other top nations are.

Adlington may be have been olympic champion but she certainly wasn't favourite to win the 400m fresstyle. She actually swan quicker this time and came third than she did when she won gold. Her 800m freestyle is yet to come though and she has a better chance of gold in that.

I think it's really **** British of us to be turning on the Athletes already and saying performances haven't been good enough.

It's day 4 for **** sake.

I'd say there's only 1 gold that we "should" have won, and that's the road race. And even that wasn't anyone's fault, GB's talent was their own downfall in so much as no one allied with them in the pellaton.

On the flip side, Adlington's Bronze, the gymnasts' bronze and probably Lizzie's silver have all been relatively unexpected.

Total and utter over reaction on your part there, IMO. The point being raised was simply that the performances to date have been below par, something that even the coaches are now saying. That is not "turning" on the athletes at all. The Olympics should be the pinnacle for most of the events that have run or are running and there have been more than were expected by the coaches etc in sub performances. The other point is about questioning why that is the case and is it down to nerves in a big crowd expectation atmosphere, something most have not experienced before.

Adlington's bronze unexpected? Really? She was after all the Olympic champion. The gymnasts did very well and hopefully that will give the impetus needed for other athletes in the team GB. At the moment its somewhat flat.

But as with all of these things it could turn around very quickly, and for the thousands who have paid good money to watch and support it would be great if it did so

Apologies, drat. My post wasn't specifically in reply to yours. Should have made that clear.

People in my office have been going on about how"disappointing" it's been so far and it's gotten on my tits a bit.

But I stand by what I said (again not specifically in reference to your post) that there's an air of some of the country turning on the athletes and it doesn't sit well with me.

Oh, fwiw, yes Adlington's bronze was unexpected. She's the defending champion but she's not the third fastest swimmer in that field by a long shot.

Her bronze medal was won in a faster time than she won her gold in 4 years ago.

Defending champion doesn't mean a massive amount in swimming because it moves on so quickly. Her bronze was a great achievement.

Swimming is flipping competitive. Even the Aussies are struggling and they're traditionally very good in the pool.

It'll take years of investment and consistent competition before our swimmers get anywhere close to where the other top nations are.

Adlington may be have been olympic champion but she certainly wasn't favourite to win the 400m fresstyle. She actually swan quicker this time and came third than she did when she won gold. Her 800m freestyle is yet to come though and she has a better chance of gold in that.

I wonder how many of our swimmers actually swam personal bests, if you try your hardest and do the best you possibly can its a bit harsh if people start being critical because others are quicker than you.

The two sports I usually watch when they are on tv is footie and tennis and I have to say as of yet I havent watched either during the olympics.........

I have somehow managed to completely miss every second of the olympics so far, bit of a shame cuz I normally quite enjoy it but I just havent had a chance since it started to just sit down and watch telly at all until now

Just this second stuck it on for the first time

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â