Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

Please not the beckham comparison again.

Yes he will get one more year and I'll be amazed if he does anything that will see him be a regular player here.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek.

We're not even disagreeing that much to be fair. I just don't think he'll get the opportunity this year and will be moved on. Great if he does and he impresses though. Would be nice to see another Villa fan in the team (strictly on merit though)

Basically Marc Albrighton looked like he was going to be a hell of a player, but like so many players have before him, and will continue after him - he just couldn't adapt when defenders knew how to play against him.

To be a successful winger you either have tricks, or have fantastic delivery - unfortunately Marc is average in both departments.

I think the lad will be a Championship player, and will probably do ok at that level, but he's just not good enough for us!

This is where I'd say that I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't think the boy has it in his locker to do so!

Yes he will get one more year and I'll be amazed if he does anything that will see him be a regular player here.

We're not even disagreeing that much to be fair. I just don't think he'll get the opportunity this year and will be moved on. Great if he does and he impresses though. Would be nice to see another Villa fan in the team (strictly on merit though)

If he proves a few of us wrong great, a good winger will be a good addition to the squad.

I just can't see it. And with tonev signing, helenius talking about playing wide sometimes, Bowery waiting for chances and Grealish coming through albrighton is going to struggle to get the opportunity to impress.

If he proves a few of us wrong great, a good winger will be a good addition to the squad.

I just can't see it. And with tonev signing, helenius talking about playing wide sometimes, Bowery waiting for chances and Grealish coming through albrighton is going to struggle to get the opportunity to impress.

Makes no sense though, because his crossing went from unreal to woeful. If I was Mark I'd try and get a loan move to one of the Premiership new boys and seek regular football. I'd high hopes for him making the Euro 12 team after the sales of young and downing.

I think Marc will do a 'Peter Whittingham' on us. He won't quite make it at Villa, will join a championship side and set the league on fire. Like Peter, marc has a great delivery and will flourish at a lower level. 

I think Marc will do a 'Peter Whittingham' on us. He won't quite make it at Villa, will join a championship side and set the league on fire. Like Peter, marc has a great delivery and will flourish at a lower level. 

Definitely could see that happening.

totally agree with the whittingham comparisons at the moment. Whittingham has become a really useful player at cardiff and matured into a better footballer but i doubt we have the time to spend waiting for albrighton to rediscover himself. I truly hope he sorts it out coz he was a real bright spark when he came through but he has to have more to his game than getting to the corner of the box and knocking it in early which is all MON basically wanted his wide men to do imo.

I'm calling it now that this thread has a rather different tone in 12 months time.

I'd love that to be the case, but where does a winger fit into a system that doesn't use wingers?

In all honesty what were Weimann and Gabby's role for the most part last season? I'm relatively sure Albrighton can play in that position. That and look at the signings we've made. What makes you think that's the only formation we'll be playing all season? We'll have a plan B or at the very least being able to mix it up to stop being predictable.

They were played on the wing, but they weren't really wingers. It wasn't their job to belt in crosses. It might be the same starting position on the pitch, but it's a completely different role to the one Marc is able for

I agree that we should shake it up, and I think that we actually have potential for 2 very potent attacking lineups..

------------------Benteke-------------------

Gabby----------Helenius--------Wiemann

--------------------Bent---------------------

Tonev----------Benteke--------Albrighton

Both are the same formation, but would be incredibly different systems. The second one, assuming the form of the wingers, is potentially devestating

Edited by P3te

Albrighton's biggest problem is his confidence. He looked like he would be awesome and then the last 2 years he has been a shell of the player that he once was. He started to stop running at players and taking them on and instead started crossing from deep... and they were woeful.

Best if he left this summer, but he won't because he knows it's only down from Villa once he leaves. Can't see him getting any game time next season.

I see the Whittingham comparison, but I think Whittingham always had a lot more in his locker than Albrighton does though he could add more strings to his bow at a lower level of football, which arguably Whittingham did.

Albrighton just seems quite limited in his ability. He's very one dimensional in his play, the only thing apart from that was his love for the club, which goes a long way of course.

He worked well ith Downing on the other side as both would make the run to the backpost and it often worked quite well for us. We don't have another winger like that at the club and we don't play with wingers anyway, so I think we'll be saying goodbye to Marc this time next year where he will hopefully move on to a club where his talents will be more effective and then develop into a more well-rounded player.

• 1 month later...

Hope it is true. Even though he hasn't been written off by PL, you'd think Tonev, Helenius and probably Bacuna are all ahead of him when it comes to those wide-spots. Hard to see him getting much game-time and he is in desperate need of that.

He is, but hope it is a short loan as things can change quick. I think Albrighton can up his game under Lambert, but he needs to get some game time quick, when was the last time he played for us? 

Maybe Norwich home ?

Not sure tbh ..

He is, but hope it is a short loan as things can change quick. I think Albrighton can up his game under Lambert, but he needs to get some game time quick, when was the last time he played for us? 

Maybe Norwich home ?

Not sure tbh ..

That was definitely his last start IIRC. 

Edited by Isa

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â