The new leader of the Labour Party

Richard

Out of curiosity, how do people decide who to vote for?

I've mentioned it before, but my current MP is a tory with a poor attitude towards foodbanks - but worked tirelessly to help the local football club and is now helping the guides and scouts get a new roof for the clubhouse thing. Vote for him as a nice chap, and I get Cameron and May.

The Labour guy I'm sure is pleasant enough, at least he's local, but never actually turns up to anything we invite him to, not the football, not the community garden, not the guides or the school. He's always got some sort of Labour branch meeting thing in his diary.

UKIP, well I don't have mental issues so I can give them the big swerve.

Plaid, well again, a really really nice guy that is thoroughly honest and very hard working and I'd trust him with my own CD collection. But got about 400 votes last time, so a wasted vote.

So, local good guy, or national party?

It's not a wasted vote. Maybe this time he gets 1,000 votes. Next time 1,500. Next time it's a different guy but his values are the same and the momentum increases.

I'm of the belief that you should always vote for the combination that appeals most to you, tactical voting is barely voting at all.

As a result the narrative is all about the UKIPs/Tory obsessions with yurp and immigration.

I see Ed didn't let me down today  :)

which parties are obsessed on immigration  again ?

You did see this?

Agree that labour are also shifting towards UKIP, rather than making a case, and it's cowardly.

That said there are aspects of immigration which need discussing, but it needs more than "we'll all stop/reduce it" (paraphrasing).

I did but "shifting towards " isn't the same thing as "obsessed " which is the position Labour have now held for some time  (since there were votes in it surprise surprise   ) and hence my need to highlight it  :)

I'm struggling a little with your last line  , talking about EU immigration does not a racist country make (IMO)  ... for sure there is an anti immigration  under current here in the UK at present for whatever reason ( people struggling and looking for someone to blame would be my guess  ) particularly with  EU immigrants ... but not wanting open borders doesn't make a country racist

UKIP , well hard to say what they stand for , they've had even fewer policy announcements than Ed  , but if the perceived EU  open Border "threat" goes away so do UKIP , they are a one policy party playing on fear  I don't believe you will suddenly see a rise in Jackboots on the streets of England any-time soon .

..."shifting towards " isn't the same thing as "obsessed " which is the position Labour have now held for some time  (since there were votes in it surprise surprise)...

I dunno what he's said today, and I am not an apologist for Labour, but I really don't think you're right, there.

My strong impression is that the UKIPs and the Tories are far more obsessed with immigration than labour.

UKIPs obviously and Tories (at the last election the tories were banging on about how they were going to reduce immigration to next to nowt - I forget the numbers, but it's a(nother) promise they've spectacularly failed to meet.

labour's only really joined the party late, once they saw that it was a concern with lots of people. Probably a lot of that concern is as a result of UKIPs and tories going on about it all the time, with their "go-home" vans and all that. (and some of the concern justifed, too).

The obsession is definitely on the extreme ends of the tories and in the UKIPs, and the other parties sort of talk about it, so as not to be left out, almost.

• Like 1

...at the last election the tories were banging on about how they were going to reduce immigration to next to nowt - I forget the numbers, but it's a(nother) promise they've spectacularly failed to meet.

I think the phrase was double digit thousands i.e. under 100,000 net migrants, as you say, they are spectacularly missing it

Out of curiosity, how do people decide who to vote for?

I've mentioned it before, but my current MP is a tory with a poor attitude towards foodbanks - but worked tirelessly to help the local football club and is now helping the guides and scouts get a new roof for the clubhouse thing. Vote for him as a nice chap, and I get Cameron and May.

The Labour guy I'm sure is pleasant enough, at least he's local, but never actually turns up to anything we invite him to, not the football, not the community garden, not the guides or the school. He's always got some sort of Labour branch meeting thing in his diary.

UKIP, well I don't have mental issues so I can give them the big swerve.

Plaid, well again, a really really nice guy that is thoroughly honest and very hard working and I'd trust him with my own CD collection. But got about 400 votes last time, so a wasted vote.

So, local good guy, or national party?

I live in a Tory stronghold and our MP just looks out for himself, my parents have been to see him for help with something and he didn't really pay attention to them and offered no help. My cousin and her husband went to visit him for a problem they were having and he just did the same.

I vote for the national party because the national politics matter.

Tony, you were one of the ones making a big deal out of Ed Miliband not mentioning immigration in his speech a while back, a lot of people did, wanting to know Labour's stance but when Miliband talks about it, suddenly Labour are 'obsessed' with immigration.

Make your mind up. :rolleyes:

Tony, you were one of the ones making a big deal out of Ed Miliband not mentioning immigration in his speech a while back, a lot of people did, wanting to know Labour's stance but when Miliband talks about it, suddenly Labour are 'obsessed' with immigration.

Make your mind up. :rolleyes:

my first point would be looking through this thread  that  I didn't  mention Ed forgetting anything in his speech at conference ** ...  other than my rather witty remark (well i thought so anyway :P)  in response to a post about people forget conference speeches a week later / same day if your name is Ed  :)

but since I'm here I'd have thought it was perfectly clear that my post is referencing Blandys use of the word obsessed , hence why I put it in quotes (imagine Dr Evil doing that quote thing with the hands )

** of course as Drat can attest  :wave:  the VT search engine has a habit of finding things people didn't say  so you can have a play with it but I couldn't find anything  attributed to me on the subject

Edited by tonyh29

Miliband given a roasting on TV today it seems  ... Paxman , nope  ... the political heavyweight that is Myleene Klass :)

"Is that your only option? You may as well just tax me on this glass of water. You can't just point at things and tax them."  .... quality

She didn't give him a "roasting", she went on an ill informed rant, and just spoke over him rather than discussing his points.

Apparently some poor people are living in something that's "like a garage", for £2m. Yeah right.

Not impressed with Miliband though, should have called her on her bullshit. I wonder if her house is worth £2m.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

To be honest I thought Klass owned Miliband there, That is a new low to be todl by someone like Mylenne Klass

She is right though most of that masion tax will be paid by people in London. People out of london have much bigger houses but because its outside london worth much less so how is that " a mansion tax" might as well re-name it a "london tax"

Miliband given a roasting on TV today it seems  ... Paxman , nope  ... the political heavyweight that is Myleene Klass :)

"Is that your only option? You may as well just tax me on this glass of water. You can't just point at things and tax them."  .... quality

It was an ignorant, self-interested rant.

£2m buys you a garage? You should get out more, Myleene, out of Knightsbridge I mean.

What I found a bit sad was Miliband appearing to calculate whether to slap down her pompous, trite pile of arsewipe, or if her apparent popularity dictated that a more discreet response was better.

• Like 1

Yes let all the rich leave the country so then who do we tax, the poor? oh........

£2m buys you a garage? You should get out more, Myleene, out of Knightsbridge I mean.

you seem to have left out the rest of her point regarding most people being taxed will be londoners who will have smaller houses than those outside london so again its not a mansion tax its a london tax 

Yes let all the rich leave the country so then who do we tax, the poor? oh........

you seem to have left out the rest of her point regarding most people being taxed will be londoners who will have smaller houses than those outside london so again its not a mansion tax its a london tax 

B2tagDHCcAEtTsw.jpg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â