Martin O'Neill

maqroll

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not sure??? He was a total dinosaur 🦕 and as was said above he basically started our terminal decline. Wasted a fortune to do the same thing every season. He was rubbish at Ireland and Sunderland too and I doubt Celtic fans have much love for him either. 

More Lerner that started our decline. We had just finished 6th under O'Neil and then we sold our best player and he walked 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

More Lerner that started our decline. We had just finished 6th under O'Neil and then we sold our best player and he walked 

But just maybe if he spent time with the players and coached and developed them he would have progressed and finished higher than 6th. Or maybe did some tactics. Lerner and the other stuff is just deflections from MON incapabilities and laziness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Went to download the podcast and saw they interviewed Lambert yesterday too

Excellent, I've just run out of sleeping pills.Pure mogadon for my ears. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

You know, hearing him recount how he was shafted at every step, I may have to revisit The Great Warnock Intentional Own-Goal Conspiracy™.

Edited by GarethRDR

Prob the wrong thread and Stephen warnock probably deserves one now given his podcast with the cosh, very interesting stuff indeed about his time with us. But I couldn't  help but think if it's just pure bad luck he had to encountered all these arseholes in life and and he seems to be the victim in all of these? I think so far McAllister probs came up worst.

I might be wrong but wasn't he the one who pulled out of the world cup or Euros because he said he was homesick? 

Disclaimer: only listened to the bit with McLiesh so far so may have missed some bits towards the end

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Crying out for a striker and he signed Heskey. This was before the financial doping hit full force. O’Neill showed his true hand by playing the kids in Europe and quitting at the worst possible time. He built a squad we couldn’t really shift either. There’s a lot he got wrong. He did some good. Nobody discounts that. But his limitations hindered our immediate progress up the table and set in motion our slow decline to the Championship. 

We were ahead of Spurs at that time and we have now only caught up to them nearly 15 years later

• Like 2

Like @HanoiVillan said, I don't doubt the overarching implications of Warnock's story as we could see the results bear out on the pitch exactly as he described it. But I'm sure some details are wrong or embellished. For example, he said Jack Grealish was training with the reserves in November 2010. As Jack had just turned 15 that September, and had barely just got into Ireland's U16 setup at the time, I very much doubt that.

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Like @HanoiVillan said, I don't doubt the overarching implications of Warnock's story as we could see the results bear out on the pitch exactly as he described it. But I'm sure some details are wrong or embellished. For example, he said Jack Grealish was training with the reserves in November 2010. As Jack had just turned 15 that September, and had barely just got into Ireland's U16 setup at the time, I very much doubt that.

Grealish was on the bench 18 months later for the senior team so not unheard of he might have been fast tracked into the reserves

2 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

Prob the wrong thread and Stephen warnock probably deserves one now given his podcast with the cosh, very interesting stuff indeed about his time with us. But I couldn't  help but think if it's just pure bad luck he had to encountered all these arseholes in life and and he seems to be the victim in all of these? I think so far McAllister probs came up worst.

I might be wrong but wasn't he the one who pulled out of the world cup or Euros because he said he was homesick? 

Disclaimer: only listened to the bit with McLiesh so far so may have missed some bits towards the end

I think this is fair, nobody likes to think of themselves as the dick, we're all the protagonist in our own life.

I don't struggle to believe his stories about O'Neill though, because I don't think I've ever heard anyone meet him and have anything nice to say about him.

• Like 3

Warnock got the month wrong about being banished to the reserves, but it did happen. Got battered 4-0 by City in December 2010 and didn't play again nor was he on the bench for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

He started the rot downwards to relegation. Stoke at home.

He wasted so much money where if we had a proper coach we had a massive chance to establish ourselves as a sky favourite and compete for titles.

I can't stand the arrogant weetabix hair looking shitehawk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I can't stand the arrogant weetabix hair looking shitehawk.

Gave me a morning LOL 🤣

• Haha 1

On 14/05/2024 at 18:38, Zatman said:

We were ahead of Spurs at that time and we have now only caught up to them nearly 15 years later

Spurs had some serious talent in Modric and Bale at his peak. That's not Oneils fault

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Bale only just started to blossom in 09/10. Modric wasn't even there 07/08. We couldn't get 4th three times in a row, and finished above Spurs in 2 of them. That was on us.

In 2007/8 Liverpool finished 4th on 76 points 

2008/9 Arsenal 4th on 72 points 

2009/10 Spurs on 70 points

People talk like we shouid have made top 4 but it was really difficult and our squad wasn't good enough which was probably on O'Neil

No manager prior other than Saunders, Little and Atkinson finished in the top 4 so I don't get the animosity towards O'Neil other than him walking away from the club pre season

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

People talk like we shouid have made top 4 but it was really difficult and our squad wasn't good enough which was probably on O'Neil

No manager prior other than Saunders, Little and Atkinson finished in the top 4 so I don't get the animosity towards O'Neil other than him walking away from the club pre season

We were 3rd in March 2009, 7 points clear of Arsenal. We didn't get in precisely because of the reason Warnock mentioned. We ran out of steam, and that's on O'Neill 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Possibly as he had a period of hope for fans. Doug was gone and Lerner was in. We suddenly had some money to spend and were meant to be on the way up. The frustrations of the side being run into the ground and exploding at the end of the season were obvious but fixable. Then he dropped us at an awful time and it started coming out how bad a position we were in financially, which started our slide to relegation and people started to blame him.

A case of what could have been I guess.

• Like 1

O’Neil wasn’t a bad manager but he was the wrong manager for what we needed at that time. He spent the money available to him incredibly inefficiently which precipitated our later decline and showed very little interest in developing any of the academy products despite the huge investment put into that part of the club 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PaulC said:

Spurs had some serious talent in Modric and Bale at his peak. That's not Oneils fault

Not training until Thursday was his fault though 

• Like 2

Ă—
Ă—

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Ă‚