Martin O'Neill

maqroll

On MON, I'm delighted the limited, clueless coward has been shown up for who he truly is - a very poor, out-of-date manager who has been dining out on his "reputation" and his mates in the media for far too long. I can't see him managing again and even if he does, I want to see him completely fail again.

I think this is right and in fact I think we should apply to the Premier League to have the official records changed in respect of his time at Villa to expunge the completely misleading impression that this limited and clueless coward achieved 6th place and European football 3 seasons in a row. We should insist that the historical tables show us being relegated each time which is clearly all this clueless coward could manage. We should also pay back the £35m or so merit payments we received for this performance since this clueless coward clearly couldn't merit anything.  ;)

Jesus. Let it go.

Ha ha.

I think it's a bit rich telling ME to "let it go" when there is a 103 page thread here full of people pouring out juvenile, grudge-filled and crazily inaccurate nonsense about MON over and over again. Presumably you offer the same advice to each of those posters every time they produce this nonsense? 

I only happened across this thread because I noticed it was top trending in "other football" despite there being a range of other footballing matters that seem to warrant far higher interest, and, of course despite the plight of our own club in the real world in real time right now, which is the thing that concerns me most, not some childish conspiracy fantasy that a manager from 3 years ago is somehow responsible for all our ills.

Well as I said, I don't think politics and football should mix at all therefore I obviously don't agree with Di Canio's decision to be so open about his political beliefs.

Presumably then the Villa team should have just gone ahead and made the Nazi salute in 1938 when they were told to, without complaining about it? 

Godwin's Law strikes again!

• Like 1

On MON, I'm delighted the limited, clueless coward has been shown up for who he truly is - a very poor, out-of-date manager who has been dining out on his "reputation" and his mates in the media for far too long. I can't see him managing again and even if he does, I want to see him completely fail again.

I think this is right and in fact I think we should apply to the Premier League to have the official records changed in respect of his time at Villa to expunge the completely misleading impression that this limited and clueless coward achieved 6th place and European football 3 seasons in a row. We should insist that the historical tables show us being relegated each time which is clearly all this clueless coward could manage. We should also pay back the £35m or so merit payments we received for this performance since this clueless coward clearly couldn't merit anything.  ;)

Jesus. Let it go.

Ha ha.

I think it's a bit rich telling ME to "let it go" when there is a 103 page thread here full of people pouring out juvenile, grudge-filled and crazily inaccurate nonsense about MON over and over again. Presumably you offer the same advice to each of those posters every time they produce this nonsense? 

I only happened across this thread because I noticed it was top trending in "other football" despite there being a range of other footballing matters that seem to warrant far higher interest, and, of course despite the plight of our own club in the real world in real time right now, which is the thing that concerns me most, not some childish conspiracy fantasy that a manager from 3 years ago is somehow responsible for all our ills.

And this just proves my point entirely. You accuse others of "pouring out juvenile, grudge-filled and crazily inaccurate nonsense" with regards to O'Neill and brand their views "childish conspiracy fantasy" and seem to imply that those posting in this thread care more about O'Neill than Villa's current plight yet the fact that you're so hostile (as is evidenced by these choice of words) towards those with different opinions on O'Neill only confirms that you just can't let it go that not everyone will agree with you on O'Neill.

You may like O'Neill and think he did a good job here but many disagree with you. Just because some people criticise him doesn't mean they hold a "juvenile grudge-filled obsession" and just because they don't think he did a good job and believe that his mismanagement of the club has contributed to our current situation doesn't mean they believe some "childish conspiracy fantasy". You don't need to take every criticism of O'Neill as some kind of personal attack on yourself.

So yeah, just let it go really. Some will agree with you and others won't. No need to get so hostile and defensive.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

believe that his mismanagement of the club has contributed to our current situation doesn't mean they believe some "childish conspiracy fantasy

Yep. It pretty much does.

Because if people looked at the facts in terms of transfer money spent and contracts given out after he left they'd quite clearly see that our current position in the bottom 3 has absolutely **** all to do with him.

If they also looked at the fact that we've paid £16 million in compensation to ex managers and that its highly likely MON received a decent part of that they may stop this 'childish theory' that MON walked out on us for no reason and to cause us as much disruption as possible.

But then ignoring actual facts allows people to really lay into someone they don't like.

• Like 1

believe that his mismanagement of the club has contributed to our current situation doesn't mean they believe some "childish conspiracy fantasy

Yep. It pretty much does.

Because if people looked at the facts in terms of transfer money spent and contracts given out after he left they'd quite clearly see that our current position in the bottom 3 has absolutely **** all to do with him.

If they also looked at the fact that we've paid £16 million in compensation to ex managers and that its highly likely MON received a decent part of that they may stop this 'childish theory' that MON walked out on us for no reason and to cause us as much disruption as possible.

But then ignoring actual facts allows people to really lay into someone they don't like.

You're not looking at the full picture and will seemingly only look at things which back up your point of view.

Nobody thinks O'Neill is entirely to blame for our current situation, but to deny that he has played a part in bringing us to where we are now is quite frankly naive.

Edited by Mantis

Nobody thinks O'Neill is entirely to blame for our current situation, but to deny that he has played a part in bringing us to where we are now is quite frankly naive.

But if you look at this thread, very few people are making balanced judgements about his impact on Villa, it is mostly all childish nonsense and abuse. The post I picked up on called him a "clueless coward". That's not quite so reasonable as the argument you are putting forward so maybe you are choosing the wrong people to defend.

But if you look at this thread, very few people are making balanced judgements about his impact on Villa, it is mostly all childish nonsense and abuse. The post I picked up on called him a "clueless coward". That's not quite so reasonable as the argument you are putting forward so maybe you are choosing the wrong people to defend.

Most people in this thread are making balanced judgements. You may not agree with a lot of those judgements but most of them are balanced.

am sure people called Ged and Eck similar names like clueless cowards or worse and nothing was ever said about that

really? I think its pretty clear why he gets all the abuse he did get.

signing duds

no tactical flexibility

Moscow debacle

and worse of all leaving 4 days before start of season

signing duds

no tactical flexibility

Moscow debacle

Spot on.

Well as I said, I don't think politics and football should mix at all therefore I obviously don't agree with Di Canio's decision to be so open about his political beliefs.

Presumably then the Villa team should have just gone ahead and made the Nazi salute in 1938 when they were told to, without complaining about it? 

Godwin's Law strikes again!

Not sure it counts, Di Canio is far too easy a target for such a conversation to develop. 

signing duds

no tactical flexibility

Moscow debacle

Aha! - exactly the sort of post I was talking about above. There are probably one or two other features of MON's time at Villa that might earn a couple of words in a summary!! :) Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Funny how you fiercely criticise people for supposedly not giving a balanced view yet at the same time only ever mention his positives.

It seems that "balanced" doesn't actually mean balanced but rather pro-O'Neill. If it's not overwhelmingly pro-O'Neill then clearly it must be unbalanced "childish nonsense", written by people with a "juvenile obsession".

signing duds

no tactical flexibility

Moscow debacle

Aha! - exactly the sort of post I was talking about above. There are probably one or two other features of MON's time at Villa that might earn a couple of words in a summary!! :)

dont really see the problems with my post. Are they not true? 

Could you prove that Moscow wasnt a debacle or how he was so tactically flexible that he ruined a winning team for example

When he left we were able to offer Stephen Ireland a £70,000 a week contract, shay given a £50,000 a week contract and other big contracts to other players. Wow what a financial mess we must have been in.

We were also able to pay £66 million in transfer fees and £16 million in compensation to ex managers. **** me what an absolute state he left us in.

We'd also just finished with the highest points total we'd achieved in years and a team with one of the best defensive records in the prem. what a word removed.

I ask this question over and over and it gets ignored all the time. If Lerner had appointed the right man after MoN and spent the exact amount of money would we currently be in the bottom 3? Simple question and requires a simple answer which so many who constantly blame MoN can't bring themselves to answer.

So because spent recklessly in the years after he left (Ireland, Given etc) that must mean he didn't leave us in a state?

Strange logic.

Strange logic?

If he'd left us in such a financial mess then how were we able to afford to continue spending money and offering big contracts? Explain that one.

I notice you've ignored my question again. Shock.

Edited by Big_John_10

So because spent recklessly in the years after he left (Ireland, Given etc) that must mean he didn't leave us in a state?

Strange logic.

Strange logic?

If he'd left us in such a financial mess then how were we able to afford to continue spending money and offering big contracts? Explain that one.

I notice you've ignored my question again. Shock.

Who says we could afford those kind of deals? Judging by the current spending cutbacks it seems we couldn't.

Your question was irrelevant.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â