Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I like MON, always have done.

Thought he was brilliant for us and dont blame him for the manner in which he left either.

In football things sometimes work and sometimes dont. Like Collymore coming here I thought that would make us and him. Wasnt to be

MON at Sunderland is that for me. I thought he would do well there, he may still. But at the moment it just isnt working for some reason, something is not right there and as sad as I am to say this (as I still like the man) as long as he stays there the better it is for us it seems!

Have you read what I posted? I said what his strengths were.

Kind of. You glossed over them anyway. He is, or was, an astonishingly good motivator, in my opinion one of the best in the game. How he gets what he does out of some of the dross he has a penchant for purchasing will always escape my knowledge.

Players will crawl over hot coals for him. Many fans would as well. Having said that, he looks spent. It's sad to see.

I know not many will agree with me there and I do understand why, I'm not oblivious. Personally I still wish him all the best.

My take on O'Neill is that when he arrives at a club he gives players a lift, he gets under their skin and he gets them playing better than they were and in some cases better than they have ever done. As a motivator few are better.

As I said, as a motivator few are better. But that is about it.

I don't wish him well because I've no fondness for him, I never much liked him as an individual and the way he left burnt any respect I had for him.

How anyone can 'like' Martin O'Neill is beyond me, a vile sly nasty man of the highest order.

But i suppose you'll never find a successful manager who is a nice bloke either...

I like him. Sorry.

As I said, as a motivator few are better. But that is about it.

I don't wish him well because I've no fondness for him, I never much liked him as an individual and the way he left burnt any respect I had for him.

I still have no idea how or why he left. The only person that ever hinted at a reason was The General, hardly a bastion of plain honesty. If rumours are true he wanted to quit much sooner, following the Chelsea defeat and wasn't "allowed".

I'm covering old ground that doesn't need to be covered and I know my argument will fall on deaf ears. I also know we spent a pretty penny chasing the dream. We failed, but we survived. It was a fun ride. I'll never let the financial aspect of football cloud my love for the game, or the joy it gave during that period and that it continues to give now despite the misgivings of the many.

I am however intrigued as to why you didn't/don't care for him as a person?

I am however intrigued as to why you didn't/don't care for him as a person?

Well personally I was always intrigued to know why people did like him.

Prior to his arrival here I always admired his achievements but disliked him and what I considered his overly abrasive attitude. When interviewed he was frequently patronising, dismissive and spiky with those asking him perfectly reasonable questions. I could see why people found him amusing, I could see why people admired his achievements, but like? No he never came across as being particularly likeable to me.

I'm sure he is probably a nice guy, he seems genuinely popular within the game. Personally though he just isn't my cup of tea, I don't dislike him in the same way I dislike some other managers but then I don't like in him in the way I like other managers.

In his time here I warmed to him to a degree but always found him arrogant, passive aggressive and incapable of ever admitting his mistakes. His attitude post Moscow particularly stuck in my throat. So for these reasons and many others I never held O'Neill in the same regard as I had other managers in the past such as Taylor, Little, Big Ron or even Gregory for a while.

Perhaps that is an age thing and growing up, you stop seeing the job they are doing and start seeing the man more I don't know.

I just never much liked O'Neill and while I warmed to him during the early years of his time here, my opinion on him was soured again long before his departure which I will admit was the final nail.

I largely agree with Zatman, I find him a little vindictive and often quite rude when interviewed.

I don't want to get into a debate on this and I don't expect you to change your view of him neither will I change my view on him. I just wanted to give you some sort of answer to your question.

Anyway... lets hope their poor run continues because their fate could well be caught up with our own.

Well personally I was always intrigued to know why people did like him.

Prior to his arrival here I always admired his achievements but disliked him and what I considered his overly abrasive attitude. When interviewed he was frequently patronising, dismissive and spiky with those asking him perfectly reasonable questions. I could see why people found him amusing, I could see why people admired his achievements, but like? No he never came across as being particularly likeable to me.

I'm sure he is probably a nice guy, he seems genuinely popular within the game. Personally though he just isn't my cup of tea, I don't dislike him in the same way I dislike some other managers but then I don't like in him in the way I like other managers.

In his time here I warmed to him to a degree but always found him arrogant, passive aggressive and incapable of ever admitting his mistakes. His attitude post Moscow particularly stuck in my throat. So for these reasons and many others I never held O'Neill in the same regard as I had other managers in the past such as Taylor, Little, Big Ron or even Gregory for a while.

Perhaps that is an age thing and growing up, you stop seeing the job they are doing and start seeing the man more I don't know.

I just never much liked O'Neill and while I warmed to him during the early years of his time here, my opinion on him was soured again long before his departure which I will admit was the final nail.

I largely agree with Zatman, I find him a little vindictive and often quite rude when interviewed.

I don't want to get into a debate on this and I don't expect you to change your view of him neither will I change my view on him. I just wanted to give you some sort of answer to your question.

Anyway... lets hope their poor run continues because their fate could well be caught up with our own.

No debate necessary, I respect your opinion.

I'm not sure age comes into it, I'm 29 years old after all. I think taste does though. I'm a big fan of the "us against them" philosophy, especially with regards to the press. As you say, he is well liked within the game and in those rare "laid bare" interviews he occasionally gave I don't see how he could come across as anything but likeable.

I suppose I accepted fairly on that no matter what he said it was ALWAYS with the best interest of the club in mind regardless of who fell victim. I appreciated that. You could say I found him very motivating....

He's marmite.

When he came to us, everyone was saying that it was just a holding operation till Fergie retired and he took up his manifest destiny as Man Utd manager.

Seems a long time ago now, doesn't it?

I've heard the "he brought the belief back" argument a lot in support of O'Neill but a lot of that belief wasn't really down to him but the circumstances he was working in. Following on from DOL and more importantly Ellis' reign of terror (which lasted for a quarter of a century) meant that there would always be a real sense of optimism and hope. Randy bankrolled our quest for the top 4 with a lot of money so naturally we did improve. But the football was never that great and we never actually achieved anything major. O'Neill did no better than Gregory in the Villa job and was bested by Atkinson and Little. Even O'Leary managed to get 6th once (I'm not saying DOL was better though). You've also got to look at the legacy he left behind - some very good players in there but mostly old and mediocre ones who were on ridiculous wages. Apart from the obvious three anomalies we've lost out big time on almost every one of his purchases. We're only just now getting over this mess and while Houllier and McLeish obviously must shoulder a lot of the blame so must O'Neill.

The O'Neill empire (if you can call it that) was built on sand. Massively overrated manager and he's now being found out at Sunderland.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â