Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Paolo Di Canio ridiculed as 'managerial charlatan' by Martin O'Neill

Paolo-Di-Canio-Sunderland-011.jpg

Martin O'Neill has launched a stinging attack on Paolo Di Canio, the man who succeeded him at Sunderland, branding the Italian a "managerial charlatan".

"If you've ever seen Aston Villa play, you'll see the one thing I pride myself on is teams being fit."

John Terry didn't think so.

Quote "Terry, who made the observation after Chelsea had thumped Villa 7-1, implied that O'Neill's side suffer from fatigue and have a habit of fading in matches. "We knew Villa would tire after 55-60 minutes and that if we kept passing the ball, spaces would appear and chances would come," the Chelsea captain said."

FWIW, I can't stand either of the arrogant muppets.

Ironically though we had very good results under MON against Chelsea - both home and away and scored goals at the death against them - all of which Terry was playing in, so one result doesn't define our fitness and Terry was daft for suggesting so after being on the end of defeats and poor results against O'neill's Villans.

really? am sure he said it after Chelsea put 10 past us in about a month

It was after the 3-0 FA Cup semi-final defeat I think, which was itself a couple of weeks after the 7-1 thrashing at Stamford Bridge. What both games had in common is that we were generally in them until midway through the second half where we suddenly started conceding a load of goals. He may be a word removed but Terry had a point there.

Edited by Mantis

Paolo just saying what me and some others are thinking. However, his levels of delusion and egotism are still beyond healthy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2507742/Paolo-Di-Canio-labels-Martin-ONeill-charlatan.html

No, YOU'RE a charlatan! Di Canio hits back at O'Neill and claims 'he is not very big'

By David Kent

PUBLISHED: 09:43 GMT, 15 November 2013 | UPDATED: 09:45 GMT, 15 November 2013

Paolo Di Canio has hit back at Martin O'Neill as the war of words between the former Sunderland managers continued. Di Canio succeeded O'Neill at the Stadium of Light in March and, on his arrival, criticised the fitness levels in the squad. O'Neill took his time to respond but following his appointment as Republic of Ireland boss earlier this week, he dismissed Di Canio's barbs and labelled the Italian a 'managerial charlatan'.

Di Canio, who led Sunderland to Barclays Premier League survival last season before being sacked after five games of the current campaign, told Sky Sports news on Friday: 'I don't know if he knows the meaning of this word charlatan. Probably I can teach him, even if I am not English.

'I respect the opinion of manager Martin O'Neill but the fact that he spoke after six months, not straight away, that proves what kind of level he is. He is not very big.

'A charlatan is a manager who spends £40m to be a top 10 club and then sees the club sink into the relegation zone.'

Di Canio stood by his claim that the Black Cats players were not in peak condition when he arrived on Wearside.

'The fitness levels were pathetic,' he said. 'I had players who told me they had cramps from driving the car. 'I had three players with injuries in the calf after 20 minutes of a game. Six different players with problems means they were not fit.'

Di Canio was dismissed after a 3-0 defeat at West Brom, a result which was reportedly followed a day later by a training ground bust-up with senior players which led them to ask the board to take action.
Di Canio insisted, however, that no argument took place.

'It never happened,' he said. 'There was a typical meeting, as there was after every game to see the clips and analyse the game. 'Maybe there was opinion but this happens in every good family.'

Even though his first foray into top-flight management ended in acrimonious fashion, it has not quelled Di Canio's confidence and he remains hopeful of finding another job in England.

'I was too good, my level was too high,' he said of his experience at Sunderland. 'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. I can't wait to have another chance with the right people. I feel a better manager than before.

'Even if I have requests from around Europe I say no. 'There is no space for me in England at the moment but I will wait. It would be stupid for a chairman not to call me. Even if it's at a Championship club with a project.'

I want to see a PDC vs MON fight, 

though watching him on Sky he was spot on, was saying 1 player had put on 17 kilos during last season from the start and when he took over

Paulo "The Roman Legion" DiCanio vs  Martin "The Kilrea Krippler" O'Neill would be bloody fantastic. MMA rules no holds barred. 

Di Canio was dismissed after a 3-0 defeat at West Brom, a result which was reportedly followed a day later by a training ground bust-up with senior players which led them to ask the board to take action.

Di Canio insisted, however, that no argument took place.

'It never happened,' he said. 'There was a typical meeting, as there was after every game to see the clips and analyse the game. 'Maybe there was opinion but this happens in every good family.'

This man is totally delusional. Of course it happened, you madman. Why else do you think you got sacked?

• 3 weeks later...

Ian Taylor in the Mail today

Former Aston Villa star Ian Taylor has accused ex-boss  Martin O’Neill of letting  supporters down with the way he left the club.

The current Ireland manager resigned on the eve of the 2010 Premier League season as his relationship with owner Randy Lerner reached breaking point. 

And Taylor, who spent nine years at Villa Park as an all-action midfielder and who was revealed as Villa’s inaugural club ambassador this week, believes the Derry native’s actions have left a permanent black mark against him.

article-2519112-096FEC8E000005DC-780_634

Untenable: Martin O'Neill left Aston Villa in 2010 after bust up with owner Randy Lerner

article-2519112-00080DA500000258-805_634

Bitter taste: Former Aston Villa player Ian Taylor claims fans were disappointed by O'Neill

‘The timing was wrong because it was right at the start of the season. I think that was it, the fans had really taken to Martin O’Neill and he could have been a real hero at Aston Villa,’ he said. 

‘I think he blotted his copybook  leaving the way he did and it left a bit of a bitter taste in Villa fans’ mouths because he left us in the lurch right at the beginning of the season. It didn’t go down well.’

While O’Neill guided Villa to three successive sixth-placed finishes, as well as a League Cup final at Wembley, he spent more than £120million on players alone over four years and Taylor feels that has left new boss Paul Lambert hamstrung.

article-2519112-193633C300000578-230_634

Fresh pastures: O'Neill is now manager of Ireland - with Roy Keane (right) as his assistant

‘A lot of money was spent under Martin O’Neill on players and on big wages. Slowly the manager [Lambert] has got the big wages out of the club. 

‘There are still one or two left. He’s had to lower the wage bill which means he has to go for a different kind of player.

‘The last two or three seasons we’ve struggled but I think we’ve had to come to terms with the fact that we’re not the team we were a decade ago. We’re shopping in a different market for a different kind of player.’

article-2519112-19A467BC00000578-388_634

Money matters: Taylor believes new Villa boss Paul Lambert (right) has been left hamstrung by O'Neill's spending

O’Neill, meanwhile, will be hands-on this weekend as he takes in three games across the Irish Sea.
First up is Millwall against Wigan in the Championship tomorrow, to be followed by the Premier League fixture between Arsenal and Everton on Sunday at the Emirates.

On Monday, O’Neill heads to south Wales for Swansea City versus Hull City.

Roy Keane, meanwhile, is heading to West Brom for their home game against Norwich City tomorrow.

• Like 1

I like Taylor and agree with what he says but he's working for the club so will be keeping to a script. I'd be interested to hear his opinion on O'Neill's successors.

I'd be interested to know what he thinks of our owner, since he says expenditure got out of control and is now having to be curtailed to the detriment of the current manager. I guess you might think the owner and his board might share some responsibility for that but, if I recall right, Lerner doesn't even get a mention in Tayls's first statement as "Ambassador".
  • Like 1

Look at that beautiful second kit Taylor's got on. Now we wear neon lime green  <_<

Don't we wear that ugly purple number?

Ah, yes, we do. Was lime green last year? This purple one is marginally better, but still sucks, IMO. That white number with the AST logo was pure class.

Edited by maqroll

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â