Most overrated player in football history?

Guest av1

I wouldn't say Carrick is much better than Petrov. He's at Utd because they've not been able to get a real class midfielder to push him out, players like Carrick are why Utd always get beat by Barca.

Come on, Fergie has a budget every transfer window to buy a player he wants to get in for a reasonable fee (which is up to 30M I would guess for them). Carrick has a vital part in a team, and especially midfield setup, that granted lacks a little flair. However, it is highly effective and nobody can argue with that. Sure they lose out to Barcelona, but when did that become the same thing as a failure? Especially when comparing Petrov and Carrick. The truth is that if Petrov was at United for some magical insane reason, he would be booed out after 45 minutes by the crowd. I like Petrov, I don't especially like Carrick, but I can easily see that he is a better player.

And for the record; United lose to Barcelona (like every other team) because they are in my opinion the best team to have ever grazed this sport. And I absolutely hate Barcelona, just because of their attitude and unsportsmanship. Of course talking about Busquets, Dani Alves and Pedro... although the situation has changed to the better this season compared to the last. The way they gang up against the referee after every tackle is preposterous.

Carrick is a weird one for me, sometimes I think he looks excellent then other games he looks poor. He's a good footballer though and I think if he played at Villa every week, we'd like him. Maybe he falls into the category of Gareth Barry, if Barry hadn't of played for Villa and we didn't know what a quality player he was, I imagine a lot on here wouldn't rate the guy. I know lots of neutrals that don't rate Barry yet he's a permanant fixture in the City side and was our best player IMO. I'd certainly have Carrick in the Villa side that's for sure.

Carrick is average in an average side and good in a good side. He's not dominant enough like say Scott Parker in the middle for a mid-table club to stand out, but in a good side he is a pretty decent foil to the talented attacking players. He's a perfect 'Man Utd' player when they were brilliant but at the moment they are a side in transition and he kind of goes invisible, recent performances aside.

I am beginning to think Tom Cleverley needs to go on the over rated list to be honest. He has played five games for Manchester United and in one of those he was stretchered off after barely two minutes. I think because Manchester United made such an explosive start to the season and then flattered to deceive for a month or two people were putting two and two together and getting five, mostly because the perceived loss of form (even though they were still winning games and collecting points at a higher rate than they normally do) coincided with Cleverley's injury. On another forum I read United fans were proclaiming him as the saviour of English football. Dont get me wrong, he might prove to be a great player but give the kid a chance before heaping tons of pressure and expectations on him. Remember players like Keith Gillespie, Danny Cadamarteri, Richie Humphries, Franny Jeffers and dare I say it, Luke Moore? Cleverley could go the way of those guys too.

I agree with a great deal of stuff you post but on this one I disagree.

I think Cleverley is a real talent, with luck, opportunities and the right attitude I think he has a really big future ahead of him. Like with any young player there are no guarantee's, potential and ability don't always equal star.

You are completely correct in saying Cleverley could go the same way as those you name, I'd also agree that people perhaps went OTT with the praise.

I do though feel there is sufficient potential in Cleverley to be talking about him as a great prospect rather than a great player. Which is perhaps the point you were making although on first reading I kind of got the impression you just don't rate him.

Not at all. In the few games I have seen him I have been very impressed. I just think we are too quick to heap praise on people because we like to be in on the ground floor when the next big thing comes along. It's nice to be able to say you called it when a guy is sitting on 50 international caps, and in the age of the internet it is easier to do that than ever because there are so many sources of information to pull from.

I do think that Cleverley could be a great player and I am not really having a go at anybody on VillaTalk personally but this season has seen the hype for a lad who has played, what, 500 minutes of football for Manchester United even if we include the Charity Shield and one league cup tie reach a crescendo for no obvious reason other than United stopped thrashing teams when he got injured. Manchester United have still made their best ever start to a domestic season under Fergie this year, they have never had so many points after 18 games before (amazing that they still arent top when you think about that) but it has been largely ignored because except for the first few and the last couple of games they have been winning ugly. I think people were too quick to call the demise of this team because of the loss of Paul Scholes and the fact that they havent been as entertaining this year as the have been in the past. It just seems to me that Tom Cleverley has been anointed as the man to lead Manchester United into the next decade prematurely.

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd bump this up as after watching him for a while I am convinced he is overrated..

Gerard Pique.

have to agree, bit like Luiz a good footballer but not a great defender.

Have said it before barcelona are so good with the ball Collins would look good in their defence.

Or as Maradona said this week, same could be said of Pique

"Barcelona are such a great team, even a bad goalkeeper seems good. It’s true. Valdes is bad! But with all the players he has in front of him even he looks good."

*Puts on tin helmet*

On this website, and by villa fans in general Agbonlahor. He is quite good but not as good as some think.

Overall I would say Bergkamp. Good player, but not the best of his generation like many say.

He was very good, I just dont think he was the best forward of his generation like many people say.

When you talk about complete footballers, im really struggling to think of very many (maybe 1 or 2) who were better!

As Eames says above, a genius with a football.

Bergkamp was amazing player, Arsenal won **** all since he retired and for me if he did not flying issues would have won Champions League in his time there.

Silva is probably the 1st player in league in so long with same level of vision Bergkamp had

He was very good, I just dont think he was the best forward of his generation like many people say.

When you talk about complete footballers, im really struggling to think of very many (maybe 1 or 2) who were better!

As Eames says above, a genius with a football.

He was the reason Henry shone in that Arsenal side.... the touches, the vision, the inch perfect passing and skill. Not many better tbh.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â