Could Noah's Ark hold all the animals?

steaknchips

can find no evidence that Evolutionists can show any adaptations in the fossil record to accomodate an increasing brain size by any adaptations/mutations present in the reproductive system.... Hominids had the pelvis they required to give birth. Homo sapiens had the pelvis they required to give birth. There are so few fossils in existence that it's hard for anyone to claim anything.

Hence the reason that quote from Askepedia I quoted from states "Chances are our species are direct desendants of Lucy’s species"

How therefore can Atheists deride people for even daring to say that there is another explanation.

I wouldn't deride you for saying there may be another explanation, but I would for the 'other' explanation you then put forward. Especially as you use lack of evidence as your reason for doubting the best current theory.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an Atheist, or a Christian, and have so far not derided anyone in this debate IIRC.

What I can say is that there is at least some evidence to support the theory that we are decended from apes and that species on this planet have evolved over a long period of time.

The history of the world documented in the Bible, is a collection of stories about the history of a people/culture. It is that culture's attempt to explain where they came from and the point of their existance. Now, there is evidence to suggest that SOME of what is written in the Bible may have a grounding of truth. The Parting of the Red Sea for example MAY have a reasonable explanation IIRC.

By the same token some of what is written is also impossible/unrealistic when viewed with the eyes of an entriely different culture 4000 years later. Just as the Ancient Egyptian belief system now seems to be ridiculous.

The Bible can teach us some good lessons: Don't kill each other, Don't steal, if you're nice to people, people will be nice to you.... etc. But to use it as the definitive text to explain the history of all life on this planet is completely foolish - and confuses faith with fact.

In response to the OP, no, the Ark could not hold ALL the animals in the quantity suggested by the Bible - that just silly.

Did a bloke somewhere in the Middle East, at some point in history, build a **** off big boat and stick his livestock on it to save them from a flood? That doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

Interpretation is key, and I would imagine the truth lies somewhere between the two polarised views in this thread.

:thumb: Pretty much this.

I'm not an Atheist, or a Christian, and have so far not derided anyone in this debate IIRC.

What I can say is that there is at least some evidence to support the theory that we are decended from apes and that species on this planet have evolved over a long period of time.

The history of the world documented in the Bible, is a collection of stories about the history of a people/culture. It is that culture's attempt to explain where they came from and the point of their existance. Now, there is evidence to suggest that SOME of what is written in the Bible may have a grounding of truth. The Parting of the Red Sea for example MAY have a reasonable explanation IIRC.

By the same token some of what is written is also impossible/unrealistic when viewed with the eyes of an entriely different culture 4000 years later. Just as the Ancient Egyptian belief system now seems to be ridiculous.

The Bible can teach us some good lessons: Don't kill each other, Don't steal, if you're nice to people, people will be nice to you.... etc. But to use it as the definitive text to explain the history of all life on this planet is completely foolish - and confuses faith with fact.

In response to the OP, no, the Ark could not hold ALL the animals in the quantity suggested by the Bible - that just silly.

Did a bloke somewhere in the Middle East, at some point in history, build a **** off big boat and stick his livestock on it to save them from a flood? That doesn't seem totally unreasonable.

Interpretation is key, and I would imagine the truth lies somewhere between the two polarised views in this thread.

:thumb: Pretty much this.

Yeah Eames pretty much smashed this topic closed

It is unnecessary and unpleasant and actually against site rules IIRC. Post on poster and all that...

Still what's the point in even bringing it up as VT Atheists seem to have an opt out on site rules in some threads.

I think this thread has been fairly moderated. Personal attacks have by and large been removed or deleted (it's likely the mods or I have missed some, from both sides). Someone telling you that you are wrong is not an insult, even if you feel that you have been insulted. It is their opinion. We encourage people to have and debate their opinions, otherwise we wouldn't allow threads like this.

I bet their are some who feel that we shouldn't have allowed the trolls to start this thread (trolls in their opinion of course).

It does no-one credit to play the victim card.

It is unnecessary and unpleasant and actually against site rules IIRC. Post on poster and all that...

Still what's the point in even bringing it up as VT Atheists seem to have an opt out on site rules in some threads.

I think this thread has been fairly moderated. Personal attacks have by and large been removed or deleted (it's likely the mods or I have missed some, from both sides). Someone telling you that you are wrong is not an insult, even if you feel that you have been insulted. It is their opinion. We encourage people to have and debate their opinions, otherwise we wouldn't allow threads like this.

I bet their are some who feel that we shouldn't have allowed the trolls to start this thread (trolls in their opinion of course).

It does no-one credit to play the victim card.

I am not playing the victim Limpid at all. If I am prepared to stand up for my faith and face the firing squad, then I can hardly complain about the bullets can I?!!

I was not commenting on someone tell me I was wrong being an insult.

I was commenting on the derogatory personal comments that are routinely slipped into posts as the norm...like it's a given right to say.. "Oh this just shows how stupid you are" etc etc

As for personal insults... quite frankly I just laugh!

Maybe it's because as a woman I think differently to men so I just don't get it!

I think I have every right to make the point I was making in my opinion.. you of course may feel differently.

There are lots of times where VT Atheists post up stuff that actually is easily refutable, which indeed reveals a lack of research etc on the Bible
Research on the Bible? Why on earth would we want to do that?

We are talking about science, not literature and mythology.

To repeat an earlier point: as fascinating as the Bible is, I would no more consult it for scientific knowledge than I would the Bhagavad Gita or the mythology of any other ancient culture.

How therefore can Atheists deride people for even daring to say that there is another explanation.

I think most people baulk at mention of canopies, nephilim, and 400+ year old people living in ancient time as fact.

(taken out of context to the quoted post but just saying you nailed your colours to the mast early on)

There are lots of times where VT Atheists post up stuff that actually is easily refutable, which indeed reveals a lack of research etc on the Bible

How about this. Jesus wasn't born in a manger surrounded by animals, shepherds, and magi, nor wsa there a great star in the sky.

I completely refute that and for very good reason. I'd mention the fact that he wasn't born on the 25th of December but I'm sure you knew that was the case being a Pagan festival that they used.

I would add also that no one sees PMs and in the past that quite a few VT Atheists have had the decency to get in touch and apologise if they think they've gone over the top.

So I DO love em all really!

I would add also that no one sees PMs and in the past that quite a few VT Atheists have had the decency to get in touch and apologise if they think

they've gone over the top.

Hope so.

I don't think you are stupid, Julie. But I DO think that the ideas that you cling to are very stupid indeed.

There's a paradox for you.

I would add also that no one sees PMs and in the past that quite a few VT Atheists have had the decency to get in touch and apologise if they think

Hope so.

I don't think you are stupid, Julie. But I DO think that the ideas that you cling to are very stupid indeed.

Agree with MJ on this. Don't forget that for all the people in the thread they all frustration one feels is the same for everyone else on the other side of the fence.

It's just a dangerous thread.

It's never personal I don't think, just people are poles apart. On the bright side, we still all post so it's not Armageddon :D or anything .

Hope so.

Agree with MJ on this. Don't forget that for all the people in the thread they all frustration one feels is the same for everyone else on the other side of the fence.

It's just a dangerous thread.

It's never personal I don't think, just people are poles apart. On the bright side, we still all post so it's not Armageddon :D or anything .

Valid point IMO, it's always worth remembering in these threads that peoples beliefs, however insane they may be, are genuine and not held merely to wind other people up.

it's always worth remembering in these threads that peoples beliefs, however insane they may be, are genuine and not held merely to wind other people up.
Julie, for sure.

I think the jury's still out on SnC.

it's always worth remembering in these threads that peoples beliefs, however insane they may be, are genuine and not held merely to wind other people up.
Julie, for sure.

I think the jury's still out on SnC.

Julie is sincere in her beliefs. I've also met Julie and she's quite lovely in real life. These threads bring out int he worst in people. I'm convinced that Steaknchips is nothing more than a sad troll though, with nothing better to do.