Final Fantasy

hogso

13 minutes ago, hogso said:

Does that mean you completed it though? Well done! 

I have. E-Bike took about 3 attempts, same with Space Ranger. Chocobo race was a one and done. Queens Blood took a few attempts but they're quick games. Battle arena I did first time, but I scrapped through against the 2 Jokers and Toad. 3D Brawler.... Just.. Ugh.

Do you play FF Ever Crisis? One of my guild mates on there the other day was trying to convince me that it's really easy to cheese, just pause it, see what the move is, press the button. 

Not having it, some of the moves are completely indistinguishable from one another. 

Or maybe I just suck. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hogso said:

Do you play FF Ever Crisis? One of my guild mates on there the other day was trying to convince me that it's really easy to cheese, just pause it, see what the move is, press the button. 

Not having it, some of the moves are completely indistinguishable from one another. 

Or maybe I just suck. 

I haven't, no. To be honest I've not long gone back to Rebirth. I got through to completing Cosmo Canyon after fully completing all areas and kind of burnt out. Left it for 5-6 weeks then picked it back up. The 3D brawler was just continually trying over and over again, and eventually I started to recognise the movements and memorising the combos. Need to do Sephy now, then complete the remaining 4 Chocobo races, then I'll work through the Battle Arena matchups before moving to Chapter 13.

Just out of Cosmo Canyon and fatigue is really setting in, to be honest.  There's a special place in hell for the clown that designed Gongaga, yes it all looks beautiful but if I'm having to look up videos online to find the precise route I need to get to busy-work-#4-of-7-or-whatever, despite having canvassed the entire edge of the map, your pathfinding is bad and you should feel bad.  Cosmo Canyon was an improvement in that regard, but I still had to look up a couple spots, and I'm getting real tired of my Chocobo stopping dead in it's tracks when it runs into something knee-high (and having to obtain a new one each region, especially with fast travel gated behind the damn things). 

And aforementioned busy work... Christ.  It's gotten to the point where I can't be arsed to learn yet another minigame's mechanics and just want to push through as quickly as possible, so I'm immediately looking up how to clear stuff like Gears & Gambits online with minimal effort.  At least I only had to do that one 3 times (hard mode can do one), but a big issue is just how many times this game expects you to repeat the same task, even for quests (see Bugenhagen's crystal hunt).  A lot of the frustration could have been mitigated by cutting down just how many times you're expected to do the rinse-and-repeat stuff.

Love that combat, though.  Feels like I've only really scratched the surface with some of it as well, as most of my builds tend to just focus on abilities and ignore magic materia and thus far, that's carrying me through quite comfortably.  Hoping once I spend more time with it that there's some utterly game-breaking combinations to be found that hark back to the OG.  Cloud with a Fire + Ice/Elemental, Enemy Skill/HP Absorb and a heap of ATB and Stagger boosting materia is already silly in the best possible way, managed to down Bahamut Arisen without needing a single PaRappa the Rapper crystal (though still having to do them to get the summons' full power can absolutely get in the bin).

Always forget until I hear it again just how much the Cosmo Canyon theme slaps.

Mog House remains a crime against humanity, and Chadley/Mai are the Scrappy-Doos nobody asked for.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You've listed your peevs with the mini games and the Cosmo region, but no mention of the Chocobo Gliding?! After the 3D Battler that was the worst one for me, ****. At least I did actually clear all of them, but it took a damn long time. 

I think most people feel the same about Gongaga. On my first playthrough I ignored everything when I first went through there, and went back later. For whatever reason, it just clicked second time through. 

Edited by hogso

Funnily enough the gliding didn't bother me too much, but part of that might be I've now made peace with not pushing for top scores on everything, especially if the reward isn't unique (ergo with the gliding I had to get top marks for the first game as one of Yuffie's weapons was behind it, and that was the easiest of the three but the other two I was fine with just a pass mark to tick off the quest).

Chapter 14 and Home stretch now before I go back into Chapter select to finish some odd bits. Man Chapter 13 went on!

Enjoyable overall though - 10 year old me is squealing with delight internally.

I gritted my teeth and got through Cait Sith in Shinra Manor.  I gritted my teeth and got through another torturous secure-a-Chocobo game.  Mog House 7 has broken me.  It's **** broken me.  I'm done.  I would rather fight Ruby and Emerald simultaneously.

Posted (edited)

Shinra Mansion is comfortably the worst part of the game I think, awful stuff.

Well, the Cait Sith section is. The Vincent stuff I kinda loved. 

Edited by hogso

4 hours ago, hogso said:

Shinra Mansion is comfortably the worst part of the game I think, awful stuff.

Well, the Cait Sith section is. The Vincent stuff I kinda loved. 

That CS section is an indication of the games problems at large, it's an ok idea, it's not clever enough to be good, but it's the way that it makes you do it about 8 times, it's the same thing just repeated in a slightly different way 

I didn't do the mog mini games, did the first one and then didn't bother 

The catch a chocobo stealth stuff is the worst for me, you can't avoid it and the mechanics of it aren't good

Gongaga pissed me off to the extent that I didnt even try to do the extra stuff there, I streamlined that entire section 

I finished this up last night. Love the way they did the final boss. Might go back and fill out some of the trophies but will most likely have a break from it now. 90+ hours spent on this playthrough.

21 hours ago, GamingDad said:

I finished this up last night. Love the way they did the final boss. Might go back and fill out some of the trophies but will most likely have a break from it now. 90+ hours spent on this playthrough.

I ended up powering to level 70, beat

Spoiler

Gilgamesh

Just need 2 more weapon abilities and they're all mastered. Developed all materia with Chadley. Now to see how to get 300% stagger. I HIGHLY doubt I'll complete all the Colleseum/Chadley battles.

On 31/08/2024 at 19:43, villa4europe said:

That CS section is an indication of the games problems at large, it's an ok idea, it's not clever enough to be good, but it's the way that it makes you do it about 8 times

The closest it's brought me to physical violence was when I doubled back to do the vents I'd missed, jumped back down the weighted platform and then realised when I got back I had to do the box-chucking again to get the lift back down.

Props at least to the self-awareness/sense of humour that someone in the dev team must have had, when shortly thereafter I did the side-quest that culminates in literally herding cats.

Edited by GarethRDR

54 minutes ago, GamingDad said:

I ended up powering to level 70, beat

Reveal hidden contents

Gilgamesh

Just need 2 more weapon abilities and they're all mastered. Developed all materia with Chadley. Now to see how to get 300% stagger. I HIGHLY doubt I'll complete all the Coliseum/Chadley battles.

Some of the later Chadley challenges are really really tough - a major step up from the hardest challenges in Remake. 

There might be some decent strats and builds to deal with them better now, 6 months down the line from release, but at the time I was playing at release, I just couldn't manage them. 

19 hours ago, hogso said:

Some of the later Chadley challenges are really really tough - a major step up from the hardest challenges in Remake. 

There might be some decent strats and builds to deal with them better now, 6 months down the line from release, but at the time I was playing at release, I just couldn't manage them. 

I'm at the Colleseum now so I'll see how it goes. I need to have a look at materia set-ups now everyone is max level and most materia is maxed. No more swapping around.

I finished the Colleseum, wasn't too bad actually - got a bit repetetive with the seemingly unless cycle of Master Zu and Quetz, Malboro and Jabberwock. Rinse and repeat a mix of the 4.

Got the 300% stagger trophy while I was at it so bonus. I will NOT be grinding for all of Johnnys items (I need another 15-20 I think) so Plat has gone bye-bye. Debating a hard mode speed run but I really want the Gotterdammerung first so off to Chadley we go...

Edited by GamingDad

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â