Jimmy Savile And Other Paedophiles

GarethRDR

3 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I guess 41 images isn't that many... 

When you consider it's fairly common for people on similar charges to have thousands, and vast amounts of that being the worst categories, Edwards being sent 41 and having specifically said 'nothing illegal' it puts a different slant on it. 

He's still guilty. But he was never getting a severe punishment. Arguably the social fallout is a heavier punishment than anything the court was going to offer.

I suspect you'd get short odds on him topping himself.

5 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I guess 41 images isn't that many... 

I work in IT and someone I went to Uni with ended up working for the police computer forensics department and when I last spoke to her she'd left because she literally couldn't handle the volume and nature of the shit that goes through there.

It's literally a conveyor belt of phones and PC's full of this filth. 40-odd images might sound a lot (and tbf 1 is too many!) but the nature of where we are as a society and the prison system being what it is I'm afraid I can understand why they have to look at it and consider it "lower level" noncery. He's not Gary Glitter or Ian Watkins.

If only Huw had said some nasty things on Facebook, he may have got a custodial sentence. 

AMIRITE?

Seriously though, what an absolute word removed. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

A guy on the news just hit the nail on the head. "Let's put the children first and the offender second". 

Who's doing the opposite?

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Who's doing the opposite?

The magistrate. From what I heard normally these cases go to crown court and the consideration of his mental.health and because of that having no memory of looking at these gross images plus considering his vulnerability in prison. 

This sends a clear message to all pedophiles that they get away with what they like as nothing will happen to them.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The magistrate. From what I heard normally these cases go to crown court and the consideration of his mental.health and because of that having no memory of looking at these gross images plus considering his vulnerability in prison. 

This sends a clear message to all pedophiles that they get away with what they like as nothing will happen to them.

Whichever court he's in, the judge was going to consider those mitigating factors and weigh them up against any aggravating factors. That's the magistrate doing their job.

I do agree that the sentence is light, and the sentencing guidelines for these offences don't match what the public expect though, just don't think this judge has given a sentence that's in any way unusual, from what I've read.

Edited by Davkaus

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Whichever court he's in, the judge was going to consider those mitigating factors and weigh them up against any aggravating factors. That's the magistrate doing their job.

I do agree that the sentence is light, and the sentencing guidelines for these offences don't match what the public expect though, just don't think this judge has given a sentence that's in any way unusual, from what I've read.

Edited by PaulC

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's not a dodgy sentence insofar as following the law. The judge has given his justification and it's in line with the law. Whether you agree with the law is open for debate. 

Yeah I think this is the crux of it.

Did the judge give a lenient sentence? Not really, it seems pretty standard.

But it's pretty clear that the sentencing here is simply outrageous to the general public, and this being such a high profile case, I can only hope it applies enough political pressure to revise the sentencing guidelines.

You can't go all in on bowing to the public on sentencing, or we'd be hanging people for loitering, but justice needs to be seen to be being done.

Edited by Davkaus

Saw a a few bits about him saying that he didn’t want anything illegal, but that exchange apparently occurred after knowingly, and willingly receiving them. 

BBC

The court heard that in another exchange with Williams, Edwards replied "yes" followed by three 'X's when asked whether he wanted sexual images of a person whose "age could be discerned as being between 14 and 16".

He responded to Williams with: "Amazing". The court heard he was also sent a link with more images, then discussed buying Williams a Christmas present.

Edited by Colin79

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Hands up everyone that wants much longer custodial sentences for all these people that use or encourage this sort of stuff?

Hands up everyone willing to pay the additional tax?

Not really but I wouldn't send anybody to prison for non violent crimes myself. There's other way of dealing with them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Hands up everyone that wants much longer custodial sentences for all these people that use or encourage this sort of stuff?

Hands up everyone willing to pay the additional tax?

i suspect the re offending for this sort of thing is fairly low hence why prison sentances are often suspended. then you have the whole added logistics of having them segregated whilst inside for their own safety. i guess the fear is that if they're looking at this stuff, is there a chance of them acting on it and going that step further? presumably if they're scrutinising their laptops etc and found evidence of accessing internet chat rooms, or messaging kids on social media then that's a different story. but for most, it's probably limited to 'just' images.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â