Xbox One

hogso

Macbook Pro will take care of games for the moment (not looking forward to the inevitable upgrade from XP to 7 or 8 though - WinXP's footprint is much smaller) but I'm going to need to beef up a rig for the long distant future...

Then don't do it. Get Linux.

Meh. WINE can be so goddam fiddely!

Soooooooooo

Xbox One: No fee for used game license transfers

License transfers are also subject to limitations: "you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once," explains Microsoft.

Still confusing as ****. Plus you can only pass the game on once. How will that **** up the used games market?

Soooooooooo

Xbox One: No fee for used game license transfers

License transfers are also subject to limitations: "you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once," explains Microsoft.

Still confusing as ****. Plus you can only pass the game on once. How will that **** up the used games market?

Y4GdHwg.gif

• Like 3

In the same statement, MS did give some more info about playing from the cloud. You can go to a friends house, use your own log in details there, and play a game from your library with out the disc - it'll all come from the cloud. Furthermore, up to 10 people can log in and play games from your library via the cloud. It specifies this a 'family', but I guess with friends you trust you could all go wild and share each others games. Presumably if one person is playing at a specific time then none of the others could, though? Not sure about that bit.

The above quote is actually in relation to 'gifting'/giving away games. In the same statement MS confirmed that there won't be any fees for their own published games, but other publishers can do what they want to, pretty much.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this.

Here's what they say about going online every 24 hours;

For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

So if it isn't connected for 24 hours, the console will not allow you to play

:unsure:

And finally, reassurances about the privacy issues and Kinect

When Xbox One is on and you’re simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded.

If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say ‘Xbox Off.’ When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command – ‘Xbox On,’ and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences.

You can play games or enjoy applications that use data, such as videos, photos, facial expressions, heart rate and more, but this data will not leave your Xbox One without your explicit permission.

While it’s faster to find what you’re looking for using your voice and gesture commands with Kinect, you can use a controller, your remote controls or your smart devices instead. And you can use all of these devices when Kinect is paused.

If you want to read the whole thing straight from the donkey's gob, knock yourself out

Edited by hogso

PLUS there's a story doing the rounds, originating from MCV, that Sky and MS are doing a deal whereby you can take a Sky sub, and get an XONE, and use that as your box instead of getting a standard Sky+ box. Sky have come out and denied it out right, though.

It all just seems massively OTT. Checking in online every 24hours is just a bit much. Every week? Yeah that seems reasonable. It's all well and good saying "do it with mobile internet"... but not everyone will know how. 

Though, I guess how hard is it to turn your phone into a wifi zone using mobile internet? Seems simple to me, but i've been doing it for years. Not sure your average Joe Bloggs will know how. 

Edited by PieFacE

It all just seems massively OTT. Checking in online every 24hours is just a bit much. Every week? Yeah that seems reasonable. It's all well and good saying "do it with mobile internet"... but not everyone will know how. 

Though, I guess how hard is it to turn your phone into a wifi zone using mobile internet? Seems simple to me, but i've been doing it for years. Not sure your average Joe Bloggs will know how. 

More importantly, why should they have to at all?

More importantly, why should they have to at all?

To stop piracy I guess. I don't agree with it, but can see why they are doing it. 

I despair, but you're probably right.

By this point, it should be clear to those with even near-human intelligence that all strict anti-piracy measures tend to do is piss off your legitimate customers, while the pirates laugh and circumvent all of the stupid bullshit.

• Like 2

It's to the point where the lure of being able to avoid all of the stupid bullshit through piracy make the measures in place completely counter-productive.

The Zero Punctuation video summed it up pretty well, these aren't consoles providing access to something you want to play, these are consoles holding something you want to play hostage.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7417-Next-Gen-Buyers-Guide

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 1

It's to the point where the lure of being able to avoid all of the stupid bullshit through piracy make the measures in place completely counter-productive.

The Zero Punctuation video summed it up pretty well, these aren't consoles providing access to something you want to play, these are consoles holding something you want to play hostage.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7417-Next-Gen-Buyers-Guide

That video is awesome!

Microsoft have gone the warpath with 'reputation management companies' on forums. They've paid s company to flood gaming forums with users being very pro Xbox One.

Neogaf are banning them snarpish.

Microsoft have gone the warpath with 'reputation management companies' on forums. They've paid s company to flood gaming forums with users being very pro Xbox One.

Really? Or could it just be fan boys? There are people i know that have no problem with all the stuff about Xbox One.

Really? Or could it just be fan boys? There are people i know that have no problem with all the stuff about Xbox One.

The marketing skills usually have email addresses that give them away so couple that to the nature of their posts and you can spot them easily. They instantly stay posting completely pro stuff that reads suspiciously like marketing stuff and prey much only post on that subject. Fanboys tend not to write match up.

On the plus side it's given us some cracking GAF gifs...

PNhE57z.gif

ibsrgvZ5N5XBml.gif

• Like 2

HAHA, i don't see the point in them paying people. Alot of people already have their minds made for them. I wonder if Sony will make an official statement out their used games policy? I know there are a few quotes from some people saying they wont restrict used games, but nothing official.

HAHA, i don't see the point in them paying people. Alot of people already have their minds made for them. I wonder if Sony will make an official statement out their used games policy? I know there are a few quotes from some people saying they wont restrict used games, but nothing official.

As has been mentioned in the PS4 thread, it's a little odd they've said nothing at all on the subject, which may suggest the PS4 has, or had, a similar approach.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â