Xbox One

hogso

cock on the block - you're shitting yourself if you think sky will allow xbone full access to your sky account, this "one box" under your tv thing they are pushing for, absolutely no chance sky would have that, and if you've got your xbone sat under there next to your sky box then the fact that you can link the 2 and watch sky through your xbone is utterly pointless and will send your electric bill through the roof

it'll be sky go again at best, which same as it is this gen is only worth it if you have your xbox in a different room

to me the whole tv and 1 box thing is a gimmick for people too lazy to cope with having more than one remote, being able to change from gaming to tv with a press of the xbone controller isn't a reason to buy a £400 console, I can do it already by pressing the av button on my tv remote...

Why wouldn't they allow full access? 

There's no security issues, and there's no extra demand on Sky's servers as the signal will just be passed through the sky box (which has the secure receiver ID encryption) rather than using SkyGo where people can actually share their accounts, and use their bandwidth. It makes perfect sense for them to allow full access from the receiver to the xbox. 

Also, if you're like me and you like your home theater tech then you'll end up with about 5 remotes. I currently have 6 remotes for my setup and I needed to get a universal remote just to cope. I don't think it's a gimmick or laziness, it's convenience. 

If all you have is a console plugged direct into a TV then that's fair enough, but don't assume everyone is setup in the same way.

Edited by PieFacE

I can't see the control being anywhere near as good as a Harmony plus I imagine the voice commands thing will become increasingly frustrating.

Confirmed that 'HDMI pass through' (putting your set top box into your XBONE) and 'TV guide stuff' will not require a gold membership.

Was never confirmed nor denied one way or the other if that was always the intention - but it's not too much of a stretch to think that they might have wanted it to be Gold exclusive previously.

Well when I had my Sky installed not too long ago the engineer said to be that they're planning to get start getting rid of dishes and run everything via 'the cloud'/internet, hopefully starting next year. When I said I wanted to get a second HD+ box for recording in another room he also said not to bother as a shared recording feature is to be implemented soon and recordings will also be stored on 'the cloud', so that you can watch your recorded programs wherever you are.

If I could use my Xbox as a gaming console, a Sky receiver and a Blu-ray player then it'd be pretty convenient for me in terms of space and such.

So PS4 + FIFA 14 + BF4 = £430

Xbox One (with FIFA 14) + BF4 + £15 MS credit = £490

I think the XB1 might win due to having the better initial exclusives + Kinect will actually be fun on Xmas day with the family.

You're correct. An increase on the Cpu from 1.6 GHz to 1.75 GHz.

does that now make it more powerful than the PS4?

Not sure if the cpu speed for the PS4 has been announced yet. I think the Ps4 has the better ram with the GDDR5 compared to xbox's GDDR3. I'm not going to look at single parts and make a decision on which one is better. I'm sure the PS3 holds the better performance over the 360 and it didn't make that much difference.

Edited by Daniel

PS3 and 360 had/have the same CPU performance,the main difference maker, when there was one, was the superior memory on board the 360, which was invaluable for games like Skyrim. Generally 360 multi platform games are considered to be optimised better than PS3 too.

Edited by hogso

The PS3's main problem (alongside it's crap RAM levels) was it was a custom architecture, making it a pig to develop for. Meanwhile the 360 was effectively a 2004 gaming PC in a shiny box, meaning everyone and his dog could make a game for it.

On paper the PS3 was a more powerful console than the 360, but hamstrung by tiny amounts of RAM (even at release that was true) and difficulty developing for it and making use of it's power. That is why the multiplatform releases tended to favour the 360, and is also why a (very) small number of developers managed to crack how to push the PS3 and get great results.

Thats also why trying to make reference to the current generation with regards the next gen is a fools errand - you're not comparing eggs with eggs. Both new consoles are more or less off the shelf bits, as Sony learnt their lesson from the PS3.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â