Nottingham Forest

PauloBarnesi

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Can't believe this thread hasn't been bumped up at any point for any of Joe Lolley's winners v SHA!

Seems he's faded a bit there so guess they might move him on aswell.

He's had a tough season and I think he had a season ending injury in March.

Shame really - I was a big advocate in bringing him to VP when we got promoted but that ship has sailed now. 

• Like 1

Forest is odd one really....aside from the Clough years and that one season under Frank Clark when Collymore scored 20 goals and they finished 3rd in prem historically this has tended to be their level rather than top flight.

Haven't got the stats to back it up but feels to me Derby always get higher crowds even in seasons when they're mid table and Forest are pushing for play offs so take away the two european cups and they're the bigger club imo.

17 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Forest is odd one really....aside from the Clough years and that one season under Frank Clark when Collymore scored 20 goals and they finished 3rd in prem historically this has tended to be their level rather than top flight.

Haven't got the stats to back it up but feels to me Derby always get higher crowds even in seasons when they're mid table and Forest are pushing for play offs so take away the two european cups and they're the bigger club imo.

Forest probably on a par with us in “modern” (I guess mid-70s onwards) honours?  I’ve always thought of them to be a pretty big club.

Possibly because I live here now, but the support is good - would say much better than the same for Derby, who seem to be better fairweather supporters generally. As I say, that might be bias though. 

I always consider Forest to be a big club, rightly or wrongly. When i was growing up they always seemed to be about 3rd in the league and winning a league or simod cup!

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

I always consider Forest to be a big club, rightly or wrongly. When i was growing up they always seemed to be about 3rd in the league and winning a league or simod cup!

They’re not big. But they were successful back in the day. The two don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Look at Sunderland, big but shite.

• Like 2

Derby have spent more seasons in the top flight, but Forest have won nine major tropies,two FA Cups, four League Cups, one top flight championship, two European Cups, whilst Derby by comparison have won Two top flight championships and one FA Cup.

What also probably helps the perception that Forest are a sleeping giant is that they had a lot of iconic players that people will remember from childhood Des Walker, Stan Collymore, Nigel Clough, Neil Webb, Stuart Pearce and so on.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Forest probably on a par with us in “modern” (I guess mid-70s onwards) honours?  I’ve always thought of them to be a pretty big club.

Possibly because I live here now, but the support is good - would say much better than the same for Derby, who seem to be better fairweather supporters generally. As I say, that might be bias though. 

Last won the FA cup in late 50s and one league title in nearly 100 years so guess you're right on that! Won 4 league cups between 77-1990 aswell.

Now attendances, picked a season at random....12/13. First game of the season they got a crowd of just over 21k. 1st September played Charlton at home and got 19k. SHA at home in middle of September was 22k (and imagine at least 2k away fans given short distance).

Derby's first three home games that season had crowds of 27k and two at 20k which surprised me so again nothing in it really as both finished mid table that year.

Don't think Forest are that well supported though for a club of their perceived size. Of coruse they'd pull in 25-30k no problem if they ever get their act together and back in prem due to how long they've been away.

I think Forest feel bigger because of Brian Clough, probably the only team ever that the manager has such an individual impact on the history. Not saying they didnt have great players but before Clough they were an average team but mostly in the top 2 divisions and since Clough left I think they played in the top flight about 4 seasons in about 30 seasons

• Like 1

Forest had three players in England's World Cup Italia 90 squad, Pearce, Walker, and Hodge, also there were former players Chris Woods and Neil Webb, Webb would rejoin them a couple of years later. That tournament has often been credited with boosting the popularity of football in England, so can't have hurt Forest's cause and people's perception of them that they had such a strong presence in the team.

Only Rangers, Woods, Butcher, Gary Stevens, and Trevor Steven had more players in that England squad.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Could be the year. Absolutely pointless football club atm

Don’t think it will be. Lost 3 in a row, but each one has been 2-1 and the last two could’ve gone either way.

They do need to stop conceding soft goals, though. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2021 at 21:08, Zatman said:

I think Forest feel bigger because of Brian Clough, probably the only team ever that the manager has such an individual impact on the history. Not saying they didnt have great players but before Clough they were an average team but mostly in the top 2 divisions and since Clough left I think they played in the top flight about 4 seasons in about 30 seasons

i dunno, yes Forest are in a mess now, and have been for quite a long time, but even with all that, they are still the 10th most successful English club in terms of trophies with 13.

For info, Manure - 66, Liverpool - 65, Arsenal - 48, Chelsea - 33, Man City - 28, Spurs - 26, Villa - 25, Everton - 24, Newcastle - 14, Forest - 13.

I wouldnt call them a "big" club, but they are definitely one of the clubs who you would say are a huge part of the fabric of our footballing history, and "on paper" deserve to be in the PL (although obviously their results dont deserve that).

They are also only one of 5 English clubs to win the Champions League (or its equivalent), and twice, once more than us!, in terms of your comments about Clough, yes he did raise them to a level that they never really achieved, but by that note if you took away George Ramsey (12 Villa trophies between 1884 and 1926), and Tony Barton / Ron Saunders,who jointly got us 5 trophies, including the European Cup, thats 17 trophies, roughly half of our haul of trophies since 1884, my point is you can equate that to any club, like Manure without Fergie, Liverpool without Paisley & Shankley, etc etc.

Although granted, Clough was responsible for i think all but one of Forest's trophies (i think?), but still.......i remember Forest as a big(ish) club back in the day, i also remember when Sheff Wed were a good team.....lol!

Clubs that in terms of historic success, arent anywhere near a position matching their "historic success" (even if that was to be a first division team), you can also add Blackburn, Sunderland & Sheffield Wednesday to that list, obviously they dont deserve to be in the PL any more than we did when we fell off the cliff, but there are a few clubs that have rich histories that many would like to see regain some of their old stature.

Lok at Italy, teams like Parma, i remember them in my youth with players like Faustino Asprilla, i used to love Italian football as a kid, another club that its sad to see their demise, you can add Torino to that list also, although not so much recently.

Surprised it hasn't worked out for Hughton.

Not sure if Lolley is still injured but him, Lewis Grabben (although seems he's gone back to Sunderland mood and form) and Lyle Taylor is more than a decent strikeforce for this level and they have good players in defence and midfield.

Guess it's just a case of them all getting ridiculous wages and lack of motivation which we've seen many times before including here in last decade.

• Like 1

Hughton sacked today. 

Probably a leading contender for the least surprising development given how the season has begun.

As per Chris above I am also kinda surprised it has gone as badly as it has for him and Forest. My guess is that his reputation will more or less be ok because of the ongoing basket case situation at Forest.

Â