Liverpool FC in 2011/12

BOF

Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Will Liverpool finish in the top 4 this season?

• No
    • Yes

Liverpool have apologised after video footage of an alleged racist gesture by a fan was shown on their website.

Highlights of Saturday's FA Cup tie against Manchester United, featuring the incident, were still available to view more than 48 hours after the game.

A spokesman for Liverpool FC told BBC Sport: "We can confirm that footage was mistakenly included in the highlights package that appeared on the website.

"It should not have been included and we are sorry it happened."

The spokesman added: "It was removed immediately when it was brought to our attention."

Saturday's FA Cup match was the first time that the two teams had met since the clash between Patrice Evra and Luis Suarez at Anfield in October.

Suarez was subsequently banned for eight games by the Football Association, who found him guilty of racially abusing Evra.

The United defender was met with a chorus of boos from some home fans at Anfield.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish claimed that there was nothing wrong with the booing and that it was no more than the sort of "banter" expected at any Liverpool-United game.

RED-FACED REDS

Continue reading the main story

15 Oct 2011: Suarez and Evra clash in 1-1 Premier League draw between Liverpool and United at Anfield

16 Oct: FA investigate Evra's claims that he was racially abused by Suarez

17 Nov: Suarez charged by FA

20 Dec: Suarez handed eight-game ban

3 Jan 2012: Liverpool accept ban after ruling out appeal

5 Jan: Suarez apologises

6 Jan: Liverpool fan arrested for allegation of racist abuse directed at Oldham's Tom Adeyemi

28 Jan: Liverpool beat United 2-1 in FA Cup fourth round tie. Second Liverpool fan arrested for racially-aggravated public order offence

30 Jan: Liverpool apologise for featuring video footage of alleged racist gesture on their website

But Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, is concerned that it could have more serious repercussions.

"The booing of Evra was unwelcome," said Taylor. "For someone to be booed for reporting racist comments is not something we want to see happening.

"Black players may be worried about reporting such things, if there is going to be a backlash like this."

Police officers reviewed TV footage from Anfield after images were posted on Twitter of a man making an alleged racist gesture.

A 58-year-old man from Barmouth in Gwynedd, North Wales, was arrested on Saturday evening.

On Sunday night, a Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "A 58-year-old man from north Wales, who was arrested on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence yesterday following the Liverpool and Manchester United match, has been released on police bail pending further inquiries."

The video footage on Liverpool's website compounds a difficult few months for the club following widespread criticism over how the Suarez case was handled by the club and the arrest of a fan following the FA Cup third-round tie against Oldham Athletic on 6 January.

On that occasion a 20-year-old man from Aintree, Merseyside, was arrested, and then later bailed, on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence following alleged racist abuse directed towards Oldham player Tom Adeyemi.

Liverpool issued a statement after the game expressing that they were "deeply sorry" for what happened and they would "continue to take the strongest possible action against unacceptable behaviour during our matches".

The club have reiterated their stance that anyone found guilty of committing an offence will be banned for life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16798167.stm

The club have reiterated their stance that anyone found guilty of committing an offence will be banned for life.

Does that include Suarez?

I'm disgusted by the way they have acted as a club and as a fan base over this and Dalglish should be up in front of the FA for his conduct.

As far as I'm aware John Barnes remains the only black player Dalglish has signed in his managerial career spanning 2 spells at Liverpool, Newcastle, Blackburn and Celtic. Just saying.

(if anyone can think of anyone I've missed please correct me)

What pisses me off the most with this is how terrified the media are of Liverpool and the prospect of upsetting their fans.

Not sure about that.

I've read any number of articles pointing out how ridiculous and offensive their attitude has been.

I can't think of many, if any articles I've read suggesting that they are in any way right in the way they have acted.

I didn't say they had said they were right.

I said a lot of the media are scared of being critical, especially ITV. If it was a different club the press would be a lot more harsh.

ITV wouldn't risk upsetting anybody, regardless of how insignificant the club were. It's just not in their commercial interest to.