Predictions and general chat

BOF

Jerry couldn't bring himself to sack Garrett, even though I think any observer would point to some of the clock mismanagement as keeping them out of the playoffs for two years running now.

Rob Ryan's going to be unemployed for about three days, I reckon.

If nothing else, with a little bit of hair dye he can get a job as an rjw63 impersonator.

Edited by leviramsey

Completely random, but I was looking at Tom Brady's stats on pro reference and saw he had just moved near OJ Simpson on their all-time player rating thing. I then looked at Simpsons stats and then onto Buffalo's stats for his final season there as I was curious who replaced him. I then noticed the 1977 Bills scored 3 rushing TDs that season - 3! Has their ever been a lower total for a team over a whole season in the Super Bowl era? That's incredibly low.

On the Jaguars:

Was just listening to the radio and a San Fran journo was being interviewed. When asked about Alex Smith's future (which won't be with the 49ers: $8-9 million for the backup QB is a bit over the odds (though maybe not compared to 3rd choice Habib Beye)), he said that he'd expect to see him in Jacksonville. 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman is quite likely to be the next head coach of the Jaguars, as he was Dave Caldwell's roommate at university and that Smith being well-versed in Roman's offense would make him well worth signing in that event.

Smith at QB and a healthy MJD? The Jaguars could be pretty good next year.

• Like 1

Interesting nuggets on NFL players and being paid

* Their salaries are only paid out during the 16 regular season games. Tom Brady's base salary is $5.75 million, so a game check for him is $359,375.

* During training camp, rookies get $850/week while veterans get $1600/week (both also get room and board)

* In the postseason, players are paid by the league on the following schedule:

wild card game: $22k to each division champ and $20k to each wild card

divisional: $22k

conference champion: $40k

Super Bowl: $88k to the winner, $44k to the loser

Pro Bowl: $50k to the winner, $25k to the loser (plus the all-expenses-paid week in Hawaii)

Players also pay income taxes based on where the games are played; from this perspective, the Jaguars, Texans, and Titans have a few extra percentage points of extra salary cap room as Florida, Texas, and Tennessee all lack state income tax (and Indiana has a lower-than-most state tax rate). If you play for one of those three teams, at least 10 of your game checks will incur no state income tax. Likewise, getting traded from the Bears to the Jaguars effectively means a 6% or so raise!

• Like 1

Some QB playoff numbers:

Brady: 17-6

40 TD, 20 INT

8-3 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (3 titles)

MISC: 1 and done at home twice, once as #1 seed.

Montana: 16-7

45 TD, 21 INT

8-3 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (4 titles)

MISC: 1 and done at home once

Bradshaw: 14-5

30 TD, 26 INT

8-2 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (4 titles)

Elway: 14-8

27 TD, 21 INT

7-4 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (2 titles)

MISC: 1 and done at home twice, once as #1 seed

Big Ben: 10-4

20 TD, 17 INT

5-2 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (2 titles)

Eli: 8-3

17 TD, 8 INT

4-0 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (2 titles)

MISC: 1 and done at home twice, once as #1 seed

Aaron Rogers: 5-3

18 TD, 5 INT

2-0 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (1 title)

MISC: 1 and done at home once (#1 seed)

Drew Brees: 5-4

22 TD, 4 INT (!)

2-1 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (1 title)

MISC: 1 and done at home once (w/San Diego), 0-3 on the road

Brett Favre: 13-11

44 TD, 30 INT

3-5 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (1 title)

MISC: 1 and done at home twice

Peyton Manning: 9-11

32 TD, 21 INT

3-2 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (1 title)

MISC: 1 and done at home 5 times, #1 seed 3 times

Dan Marino: 8-10

32 TD, 24 INT

1-3 in Championship Games/Super Bowls (0 titles)

MISC: 1 and done at home once, 1-6 on the road

That said, I was never a big fan. He did good but not fantastic. Should be replaceable. And hopefully he does the same sterling in-division job as Dennis Allen at the Raiders. Come to think of it, we are sending our minions out to destroy the competition. YEAHH!!

Looks like Chip Kelly is the new Eagles head coach. I wonder what changed his mind.

The Philadelphia Eagles' long, winding coaching search ended where it all began. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that Oregon coach Chip Kelly will take the Eagles job after all.

It's a stunning turn of events 10 days after Philadelphia's pursuit of Kelly fizzled in the wake of Oregon's Fiesta Bowl victory. Countless reports said that Kelly chose to stay at Oregon. He re-committed to the school and began to operate as the team's coach again. But the Eagles didn't give up pursuing their man. ESPN's Chris Mortenson broke the story.

The media spotlight moved on to the other coaches Philadelphia met with, including former Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, NFL Network analyst Brian Billick, and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.

Time will tell why things changed. Perhaps Kelly simply had a change of heart. Perhaps the Eagles sweetened the deal enough to make Kelly reconsider. Maybe Kelly's deal to stay at Oregon wasn't quite what he hoped.

No matter the reason, this has to be a gratifying moment for the Eagles organization. Despite a previous public statement from the Eagles that said they had no regrets after pursuing three college head coaches, Kelly was their top choice all along. Now they have him.

Kelly will bring an innovative, up-tempo offense to the NFL. (First question for Kelly: Will he keep Michael Vick?) It's an offense that includes a lot of change of direction and unpredictability. Kelly has shown that skill set and them some during the last two weeks as he spoke to NFL teams and re-committed to Oregon.

I'm not sure what the Kelly era is going to be like in Philadelphia, but Eagles fans can get ready for a wild ride.

NFL.com

Edited by packoman

Â