Predictions and general chat

BOF

• 2 weeks later...

Changes for Thursday Night Football and Sunday CBS broadcasts

CBS will televise eight Thursday night games in 2014 and will feature play-by-play announcer Jim Nantz and color analyst Phil Simms on every game, according to a Wednesday announcement by CBS and the NFL.

In addition to broadcasting eight early season games, CBS will produce a total of 14 Thursday night games and two Saturday evening games. The remaining games will air on NFL Network.

The eight games on CBS will also be simulcast on the NFL Network.

NFL Network hosts will be used in the pregame, halftime and postgame shows along with the CBS Sports announcers.

“We are very pleased to build on our outstanding partnership with the NFL by expanding our coverage to Thursday nights,” CBS Corporation President and CEO Les Moonves said in a statement. “CBS is a premium content company and the NFL represents the best premium content there is. I look forward to all this new deal will do for us not only on Thursday nights, but across our entire schedule.”

Said CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus: “The NFL is the most powerful programming in television. To add a primetime NFL package to our successful Sunday AFC package further strengthens our position in the sports marketplace. We look forward to having Jim and Phil and our top production team showcased in prime time on Thursday nights.”

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell also seems pleased with the deal.

“NFL Network built Thursday into a night for NFL fans,” said Goodell. “Our goal is to bring these games to more fans on broadcast television with unprecedented promotion and visibility for Thursday Night Football on CBS.”

The agreement is only for the 2014 season, but the NFL holds an option for an additional year.

Nantz & Simms will now do Thursday Night games every week (even for NFL Network), except for the season opener and Thanksgiving night (which will stay on NBC) games. They will presumably only do Sunday games when CBS has a doubleheader.

The return of Saturday games is also great... whether that's a doubleheader in week 16 or games in weeks 15 and 16 remains to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL rules committee will be discussing a potential rule that would penalize a team 15 yards if one of their players uses the term "Nigger", or most likely "Nigga"... Some Black Americans, especially in sports, call each other "Nigga" as a casual term of endearment, or as a simple replacement for the word "guy", like "That nigga is gonna get crushed next time he gets the ball"

I don't think too many white players are calling black players "nigger" during games, so it seems that this rule, if implemented, would only really affect black players for whom using that word is second nature.

Total cultural misread by the league brass, and just another example of political correctness run amok.

The NFL rules committee will be discussing a potential rule that would penalize a team 15 yards if one of their players uses the term "Nigger", or most likely "Nigga"... Some Black Americans, especially in sports, call each other "Nigga" as a casual term of endearment, or as a simple replacement for the word "guy", like "That nigga is gonna get crushed next time he gets the ball"

I don't think too many white players are calling black players "nigger" during games, so it seems that this rule, if implemented, would only really affect black players for whom using that word is second nature.

Total cultural misread by the league brass, and just another example of political correctness run amok.

All it will do is result in a lo more three and outs. It'll also be yet another inconsistently implemented penalty, like holding.  Hope it doesn't happen.

The league is on course to penalize almost very conceivable thing officials see or hear on the field. At some point, they run the risk of driving fans away, as far fetched as it sounds. 

I don't think it's far-fetched at all. They should be doing things to drive up interest in the league, not penalise as many things as they can. Reducing the play clock for instance.

I get that they're trying to improve the league but by trying so hard to do so, it's making the rules impossible to imlplement consistently. How many times did we see the Seahawks DBs get away with clear PI offences this season? Do it enough and they simply refuse to call it in fear of ruining the game. 

Edited by adz.villa

I don't think it's far-fetched at all. They should be doing things to drive up interest in the league, not penalise as many things as they can. Reducing the play clock for instance.

I get that they're trying to improve the league but by trying so hard to do so, it's making the rules impossible to imlplement consistently. How many times did we see the Seahawks DBs get away with clear PI offences this season? Do it enough and they simply refuse to call it in fear of ruining the game. 

James-Van-Der-Beek-Crying-On-Dawsons-Cre

I'm not even mad about it. Why wouldn't you do it if it isn't getting called? It just highlights a flaw in the game. I think we'll see a lot more teams build their defenses that way in the future. Big, physical corners and safeties built like linebackers. 

It'll be interesting to see how refs respond if that becomes the norm with the majority of teams.

Edited by adz.villa

It's just an endless reason people use to slag off the Seahawks D. That along with Adderall. It's like people can't deal with our D being incredible without there being some sort of cheating.

There is a lot of physicality by the Seahawks and I'm someone that likes them. Problem with the NFL is there are so many rules and they're basically all subjective, causes a lot of mistakes and inconsistancy.

It's just an endless reason people use to slag off the Seahawks D. That along with Adderall. It's like people can't deal with our D being incredible without there being some sort of cheating.

It's not the only reason for the great defence, but it is one of a few things that makes them a hell of a lot better than anyone else. I don't think that's unreasonable to say. I'm not even calling it a dirty tactic, it's actually very smart because the refs simply cannot call every foul, especially with the Seattle crowd behind them.  The LOB would no doubt still be the top defensive unit even if they were called on penalties the same as everyone else. 

I was just using the hawks as an example anyways. There's already an endless list of inconsistent penalties without adding another ambiguous one.

Edited by adz.villa

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â