Brad Guzan

R.Bear

That was the question, the implication of which was that Guzan was the worst keeper in the league. I answered it.

Like I said, there's a few first teamers that I've left off that list who I would argue he's better than but there's not much point in having the debate, especially with SIT as our opinions on our keeper clearly are very different. I was just making the point that if I inferred from SIT's question correctly (that he thinks Guzan is the worst keeper in the league) that that's just obviously not true.

Edited by Stevo985

That was the question, the implication of which was that Guzan was the worst keeper in the league. I answered it.

Like I said, there's a few first teamers that I've left off that list who I would argue he's better than but there's not much point in having the debate, especially with SIT as our opinions on our keeper clearly are very different. I was just making the point that if I inferred from SIT's question correctly (that he thinks Guzan is the worst keeper in the league) that that's just obviously not true.

Not true, never stated he's the worst, he's one of the worst IMO, alongside Boruc and Gomes.

Not true, never stated he's the worst, he's one of the worst IMO, alongside Boruc and Gomes.

I said you implied it. 

He's clearly not the worst keeper in the league. it's just nonsense. There are dozens.

How relevant a comparison is Richard Wright, a goalkeeper who hasn't played a single minute of football since moving to Manchester City, and clearly never will? 

You're 'technically right', but I don't know what that's worth. Guzan is one of the bottom 25% of starting goalkeepers, and on current form, where his confidence looks totally shot, he maybe the worst starting goalkeeper in the division. He might not. But I think I can count the number worse on one hand. 

• Like 2

Question how many keepers are worse than Guzan in the PL?

Dozens.

No names Stevo? Just be interested to know who we think is worse.

Kean, Wright, Spiegel, Blackman, Maddison, Rose, Gazzaniga, Gilmartin, Johnstone, Kelvin Davies, Darlow, Schwarzer, Bunn, Rudd, Robles, Foster, Elliot, Arlauskis, Nordfelt, Hennessey, Haugaard, Speroni, Bogdan, Given, Federici, Randolph, Boruc, Ruddy, McCarthy, Myhill, Gomes, Steer

Those are ones I'd consider certainly worse than Guzan.

There's several others who I'd rate Guzan as better than, but I left them out for sake of argument.

there's 20 teams in the PL so out of the other 19 1st choice keepers who is worse? Guzans decision making is awful and is getting worse. This isn't the keeper we had 2 years ago Guzan kept us games under Lambert but is now costing us. 

• Like 1

Question how many keepers are worse than Guzan in the PL?

Dozens.

No names Stevo? Just be interested to know who we think is worse.

Kean, Wright, Spiegel, Blackman, Maddison, Rose, Gazzaniga, Gilmartin, Johnstone, Kelvin Davies, Darlow, Schwarzer, Bunn, Rudd, Robles, Foster, Elliot, Arlauskis, Nordfelt, Hennessey, Haugaard, Speroni, Bogdan, Given, Federici, Randolph, Boruc, Ruddy, McCarthy, Myhill, Gomes, Steer

Those are ones I'd consider certainly worse than Guzan.

There's several others who I'd rate Guzan as better than, but I left them out for sake of argument.

there's 20 teams in the PL so out of the other 19 1st choice keepers who is worse? Guzans decision making is awful and is getting worse. This isn't the keeper we had 2 years ago Guzan kept us games under Lambert but is now costing us. 

This was the point I was eluding too, there's certainly not many that Guzan is better than.

Then that's the question you should have asked.

Of the regular (currently) starting keepers, I would consider Guzan better than the following:

Howard, Stekelenberg, McCarthy, Boruc, Gomes, Ruddy, Foster/Myhill (I dunno who starts for the but he's better than both).

I'd say he's on a similar level to Mignolet, Adrian and Krul. And probably Butland but it's a bit early to make a call on Butland, despite his impressive start. But I'd happily concede somebody viewing those guys as better, its down to opinion.

but there's no point in having this debate. You're now just going to reply saying "no he's crapper than all of them".

Which is fine, you're entitled to that opinion, but it's why I originally was only addressing the ludicrous implication that guzan was the worst keeper in the league.

Edited by Stevo985

Of the regular (currently) starting keepers, I would consider Guzan better than the following:

Howard, Stekelenberg, McCarthy, Boruc, Gomes, Ruddy, Foster/Myhill (I dunno who starts for the but he's better than both).

I'd say he's on a similar level to Mignolet, Adrian and Krul. And probably Butland but it's a bit early to make a call on Butland, despite his impressive start. But I'd happily concede somebody viewing those guys as better, its down to opinion.

but there's no point in having this debate. You're now just going to reply saying "no he's crapper than all of them".

Which is fine, you're entitled to that opinion, but it's why I originally was only addressing the ludicrous implication that guzan was the worst keeper in the league.

I never stated he was the worst, you assumed that's the point I was making. However he is not better than Howard, he never has been. As for being on par with the keepers you have mentioned that is laughable, Like i stated in the summer, if we put up Guzan for sale, he'd be wanted by Championship clubs or clubs from the States. He would not get another move in this league IMO.

I never stated he was the worst, you assumed that's the point I was making. However he is not better than Howard, he never has been. As for being on par with the keepers you have mentioned that is laughable, Like i stated in the summer, if we put up Guzan for sale, he'd be wanted by Championship clubs or clubs from the States. He would not get another move in this league IMO.

Yes. I did assume it. I've already said that it was an implication. Perhaps I inferred incorrectly. 

You should let the US National team know he's not better than Howard. They might be interested.

See, i told you that's the response I'd get :D Like I said, it's fine, that's your opinion. But it makes a debate pretty pointless.

Edited by Stevo985

Yes. I did assume it. I've already said that it was an implication. Perhaps I inferred incorrectly. 

You should let the US National team know he's not better than Howard. They might be interested as they keep playing him ahead of Howard.

See, i told you that's the response I'd get :D Like I said, it's fine, that's your opinion. But it makes a debate pretty pointless.

Only No1 due to the fact that Howard went on a sabbatical, so Guzan was made No1 on that basis, however you will see many US fans calling for his return due to Goose being even worse for them than he is here.

You should let the US National team know he's not better than Howard. They might be interested as they keep playing him ahead of Howard.

Only No1 due to the fact that Howard went on a sabbatical, so Guzan was made No1 on that basis, however you will see many US fans calling for his return due to Goose being even worse for them than he is here.

Oh come on, now you're just making stuff up :crylaugh:

Guzan's been performing well for the US team. He was one of their best performers at the Gold Cup and even got MOTM (for the US team) the other day, despite them losing 4-1 to Brazil.

Edited by Stevo985

sorry but Howard is grossly overrated. As an American I am ashamed to see all these people saying that Howard is one of the best keepers in the world based on one game and continuously want him to start while Guzan wins best keeper in a Cup and  people complain that Howard is not starting.

He has no footballing brain whatsoever and that's his problem. He won't read the flight of a pass vs the movement of players well at all. Supreme athlete with ridiculous reflexes, agility and shot stopping. He will continually mess up where a little bit of reading of the game to position yourself right is needed. This is what makes De Gea the best in the world. He's a footballer who plays as a goalkeeper. We have an American high school jock who plays as a goalkeeper.

Yesterday evening I would have torn up his contract but today I think he is still preferable to a generally second tier keeper like Foster or Speroni who are just a general weak point. At least Guzan can be a strong link from time to time.

It's fair to say his weaknesses have been costing us a lot more than his strengths have been gaining us of late though.

He has no footballing brain whatsoever and that's his problem. He won't read the flight of a pass vs the movement of players well at all. Supreme athlete with ridiculous reflexes, agility and shot stopping. He will continually mess up where a little bit of reading of the game to position yourself right is needed. This is what makes De Gea the best in the world. He's a footballer who plays as a goalkeeper. We have an American high school jock who plays as a goalkeeper.

Yesterday evening I would have torn up his contract but today I think he is still preferable to a generally second tier keeper like Foster or Speroni who are just a general weak point. At least Guzan can be a strong link from time to time.

It's fair to say his weaknesses have been costing us a lot more than his strengths have been gaining us of late though.

An odd comment. Manages to be both too kind and to harsh to him all at the same time. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â