Gym Routine

olboydave

Coffee not ment to be bad pre and post workout ? .......just do roids :-D (that last bit was a joke

It's the best legal stimulant. I find it makes a noticeable difference but I don't want to rely on it, so I only have one before races. I did get a few funny looks at a 10k the other day drinking an Americano on the way to the start line.

I find the skull crusher is a tricep exercise that's very easy on the rotator cuff.

It is. I do them often. :) Just can't do too much weight with them. :(

• Like 1

Coffee not ment to be bad pre and post workout ? .......just do roids :-D (that last bit was a joke

It's the best legal stimulant.

You'd have a lot more fun using nitrous oxide.

I want some advice on making a run at my max bench rep. Today I went -

12 x 60

8 x 70

6 x 80

2 x 95

1 x 100.

This after a really shitty week, a long day at work and a Burger King lunch. I was shattered walking in and when I hit the ton I felt I had more to give. I'm positive I could max rep 120kg, but I'm going to need to take a run at it if you know what I mean? What should I be doing gym wise in the week leading up to the attempt? Should I carb load or go at it "lighter"?

Any advice much appreciated.

12 x 60

8 x 70

6 x 80

2 x 95

1 x 100.

This after a really shitty week, a long day at work and a Burger King lunch. I was shattered walking in and when I hit the ton I felt I had more to give. I'm positive I could max rep 120kg, but I'm going to need to take a run at it if you know what I mean? What should I be doing gym wise in the week leading up to the attempt? Should I carb load or go at it "lighter"?

I'm not ignoring you btw :P I haven't offered advice because I really don't have any. All I can say is that if I was trying to do what you're doing, I'd spend the entire week eating a lot of protein and carbs (then only protein on the day) and I'd go for the lift at the weekend having carefully managed the condition of the relevant muscles during that week's workouts. But I've never done it before so I don't know how well it'd work.

12 x 60

8 x 70

6 x 80

2 x 95

1 x 100.

Personally, I'd find that too much of a warm up. A lot of my strength would have been sapped by the time I got to 100kgs. I tend to be at the peak of my strength after a warm up set then one set just shy of my maximum.

5 x 60
5 x 80
3 x 90

Then try and push out 1 at each interval higher. Save your strength for the big weights rather than wasting it on 12 reps at 60 etc...

I appreciate what you've all said and I understand all that. I was mostly **** around, my usual routine consists of an 8 rep warm up set at say 70kg then see how I feel and go big.

What I was trying to demonstrate was despite all that before hand I pushed out 100kg with (relative!) ease. Hence me thinking I can go much higher than I ever have before.

So I want to know the best way to achieve that. I'm happy just stretching like crazy and just going for it if that's the best way.

So I want to know the best way to achieve that. I'm happy just stretching like crazy and just going for it if that's the best way.

Personally, my best lifts are while the muscles are warm, and have not been seriously tested. Otherwise they've been pushed beyond their optimum and are on their way down in terms of max strength. If I was to warm up for a weight by creeping up to it in 5kg increments I'd be **** by the time I got there (assuming a reasonable starting point). Much better to have a bit of a warm up and then go for it IMHO. Assuming you know you can lift there or thereabouts that weight (as in don't shoot for the stars if you've never been near them to that point). And have a spotter for a 1RM.

I appreciate what you've all said and I understand all that. I was mostly **** around, my usual routine consists of an 8 rep warm up set at say 70kg then see how I feel and go big.

What I was trying to demonstrate was despite all that before hand I pushed out 100kg with (relative!) ease. Hence me thinking I can go much higher than I ever have before.

If you really want to try and find your 1RM then you're best doing a light warm up and going for it. Otherwise you'll exhaust yourself prior to getting there.

If you want to increase it then I recommend visiting this site and following the 5/3/1 routine for 4-6 weeks.

http://www.strstd.com/

Edited by Dante_Lockhart

If you really want to try and find your 1RM then you're best doing a light warm up and going for it. Otherwise you'll exhaust yourself prior to getting there.

Glad to hear it coming from someone else too :thumb:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â