Gym Routine

olboydave

Has anyone got one of those harnesses with a sled behind it? You can put weights on and drag it round your garden.

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Has anyone got one of those harnesses with a sled behind it? You can put weights on and drag it round your garden.

You're filming your own 80s Action Movie montage aren't you?

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

You're filming your own 80s Action Movie montage aren't you?

DRAGOOOOOOO

• Haha 2

On 22/04/2024 at 22:30, El Zen said:

Yep, pretty much. 8 different sets of 10 reps each, then repeat it all. 

Thanks! 

Late reply but this doesn’t sound like an ideal workout if you’re trying to put weight on

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Late reply but this doesn’t sound like an ideal workout if you’re trying to put weight on

Sounds a bit like German Volume Training. Not something I'd recommend or do, but some people have had great success with it. You'd need to up calories to counter those burnt by increasing volume and decreasing rest.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Sounds a bit like German Volume Training. Not something I'd recommend or do, but some people have had great success with it. You'd need to up calories to counter those burnt by increasing volume and decreasing rest.

If it’s a Bruce Lee routine then it’s not GVT. I’ve done GVT before and that’s not it. 

If someone wants to put on weight I’d advise lift heavy in sets of 6-8 at most

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, no, you’re right probably. My weight gain worries were highly temporary, I should add. I’m back to and beyond my target weight at the moment and trying to lose a couple more than anything. I’ve used the Bruce Lee routine as a once-in-a-while mix up work out. I find it works pretty well for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If it’s a Bruce Lee routine then it’s not GVT. I’ve done GVT before and that’s not it. 

If someone wants to put on weight I’d advise lift heavy in sets of 6-8 at most

Why I said a bit like, purely in that it's 8 to 10 sets of 10 reps. 

GVT is more universally known so used it as an example. 

Right you legends, let's have this

I've done it all over the years, free weights, running, sports, pure cardio, resistance machines, and I've always enjoyed it and had some incredible results, but, without excuse, I've let all the good routines drop, because I've spent the rest of the time partying and being a bit of a rascal.

I'm back on the grind now, I'm doing a few resistance machines, but not that arsed about getting big. I've lost 70lb in the last 18 months (was more, but got a bit tubby again, no excuse, decisions that were made). I want to get my cardio up to level 10 now, not arsed about weight loss (altho I understand the benefits too), I just want to create a program that is fit and fast and strong cardio wise.

I train with a HRM, and I know everything about Zones etc, but I don't really know how to optimise my weekly workout. 

I'm happy to train 7 times a week (that won't be 7 days consecutive, but don't mind having a session before work, and one after), I've no issue doing low HR recovery work, the only thing I'm not gonna do right now is run on the roads (ankles, knees, they ain't ready yet) and getting on the rower, **** that devil machine.

So be very keen to hear what others would suggest, already eating well (100-150g protein a day, within maintenance, creatine, plenty of water, no takeaways) - how would you lot plan the most optimum training regime? 

TIA

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

I've done it all over the years, free weights, running, sports, pure cardio, resistance machines, and I've always enjoyed it and had some incredible results, but, without excuse, I've let all the good routines drop, because I've spent the rest of the time partying and being a bit of a rascal.

I'm back on the grind now, I'm doing a few resistance machines, but not that arsed about getting big. I've lost 70lb in the last 18 months (was more, but got a bit tubby again, no excuse, decisions that were made). I want to get my cardio up to level 10 now, not arsed about weight loss (altho I understand the benefits too), I just want to create a program that is fit and fast and strong cardio wise.

I train with a HRM, and I know everything about Zones etc, but I don't really know how to optimise my weekly workout. 

I'm happy to train 7 times a week (that won't be 7 days consecutive, but don't mind having a session before work, and one after), I've no issue doing low HR recovery work, the only thing I'm not gonna do right now is run on the roads (ankles, knees, they ain't ready yet) and getting on the rower, **** that devil machine.

So be very keen to hear what others would suggest, already eating well (100-150g protein a day, within maintenance, creatine, plenty of water, no takeaways) - how would you lot plan the most optimum training regime? 

TIA

Evening.

Do you have a watch that monitors and measures everything? 

Really useful way to progressively build the cardio you are doing in a way that’ll avoid injuries (which are almost caused by sharp changes in volume/intensity). 

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

TIA

Beer curry and gear 

• Haha 2

9kg on since February. Jesus Christ. The cardio starts tomorrow and the drink or 4 before bed probably needs knocking on the head.

My back is utterly **** so as much as I prefer lifting, that's just off the table. Couch to 5k day one, hello old friend.

• Like 2

I had a chesty cough all last week but felt a lot better on Friday and decided to do a light intensity (about 60/70%) weights session just to get my body moving again.

Clearly wasn't as recovered as I thought and placed way to much systemic fatigue on myself. Tanked my immune system and have now had a fever since Saturday. 

I reckon I would have been fine doing that a few year's ago but stuff hits harder when you're in your 40s.

On 07/07/2024 at 21:33, villaglint said:

Evening.

Do you have a watch that monitors and measures everything? 

Really useful way to progressively build the cardio you are doing in a way that’ll avoid injuries (which are almost caused by sharp changes in volume/intensity). 

Yep, I got a Garmin and a polar heart rate strap that links to it. 

I'm gonna try and find a way to plan my runs over Mon - Fri (runs, used very loosely, it'll be XT and Bike work for now). I suppose my question is how best to balance those five days between LSR, Intervals, Tempos etc. I've had a google and struggling to find anything that really fits what I'm after (maybe with reason).

On 07/07/2024 at 21:38, Follyfoot said:

Beer curry and gear 

That's what got me in this mess in the first place! 

On 09/07/2024 at 09:47, Rds1983 said:

I had a chesty cough all last week but felt a lot better on Friday and decided to do a light intensity (about 60/70%) weights session just to get my body moving again.

Clearly wasn't as recovered as I thought and placed way to much systemic fatigue on myself. Tanked my immune system and have now had a fever since Saturday. 

I reckon I would have been fine doing that a few year's ago but stuff hits harder when you're in your 40s.

Honestly brother, I wish someone warned me that the second you turn 40 you're basically doing everything you used to do but at 50% speed and 200% risk of injury and illness. Take care of yourself, health is wealth.

Is it weird I now train more infrequently but my strength remains as strong as ever? Now, due to family commitments.and just being lazy ill work out one day then take a 3-4 day break before the next, whereas before I was training every other day. May rest and recovery was what I need all along.

The one thing I've really neglected though is my legs, they're starting to become like chicken legs. Trying to incorporate some leg exercises but by the time my normal session is done I just want to go home.

Safe to say my gym motivation is really going down.

5 hours ago, supermon said:

Is it weird I now train more infrequently but my strength remains as strong as ever? Now, due to family commitments.and just being lazy ill work out one day then take a 3-4 day break before the next, whereas before I was training every other day. May rest and recovery was what I need all along.

The one thing I've really neglected though is my legs, they're starting to become like chicken legs. Trying to incorporate some leg exercises but by the time my normal session is done I just want to go home.

Safe to say my gym motivation is really going down.

Building muscle and strength takes a fair amount of training and time, however once it's built it is easier to maintain with lower volume and frequency. 

This does decrease and becomes more difficult as testosterone levels drop in mid-30s to early-40s.

If you're limited in what you can now do, maybe try doing full body workouts to maximise your time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2024 at 19:49, Davkaus said:

3 weeks on and down 3kg and up to 4km. Slow as balls, but running uninterrupted, I'll take that, considering I've still fit a couple of heavy whiskey sessions in there

My original target was just 5km in mid September, which should be a doddle, but if I can get down another 6kg and complete it in under 27:30 I'll be well chuffed.

Good thing about starting this while I'm a fat word removed is it gets a little bit easier every time I drop a kilo

Keep going mate, don't focus on the 27:30, focus on where you started from, how you felt, what was demotivating you to get to this point in the first place and what you've achieved. Progress from the beginning is 99% why you're here, progress to the target time is gonna be 1% either way - You're already winning sir. Keep on pushing, keep on praising the progress you've made.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, been a bit sporadic recently with my gym efforts, put a bit of timber back on, but still a long way from my heaviest.

Had a niggling knee injury for just over a week and it's one of them that nothing seems to shift it. Tried resting it, no joy. Tried stretching it, no joy. Ice, nope. Pain killers, not really. It's gradually eased off but it's definitely still there.

Didn't want to not train for another week, so popped down the gym this evening. The walk there, pain, 6/10 on the scale. Got there, got on the bike, absolutely fine. 45 mins at 65%, piece of cake. Hit a few resistance machines (no legs), all good. Tried the x-trainer, absolutely fine, 45 mins again at 65%, not one bit of pain.

Walked back from the gym, the second I stepped on the carpark, pain again. As bad as the way there. 

I'm not sure if working it out is going to do it better or worse, but it was a nice motivator to try and do a longer, slower session today, I must say.

May be posting in the 'Sickness and Health' thread tomorrow to say I've had leg lopped off.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â