Gym Routine

olboydave

If you are just starting out I personally would suggest a simple push/pull/legs split. I would focus on one of the big compound movements each session and then add in some smaller compound/isolation exercises after if needs be.

Maybe try going with a 5x5 although I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will probably tell me that's considered archaic thinking......

You don't need to really add isolation exercises in for muscles groups like triceps, biceps and calves because if you're doing the rest of the exercises on each day correctly they'll be burning like hell anyway, again though this is assuming you are just starting out.

Push day - Chest, Delts and Triceps

Pull day - Back & Biceps

Leg day - Errrr Legs?

I've read a lot that suggests that hitting each muscle group only once a week isn't really effective in the long run for natural lifters do to shorter timings of protein synthesis however if you are just starting out you'll make excellent progress hitting them once a week. I'm not sure how long the 'newbie gains' last but its a decent amount of time to get you started.

28 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

If you are just starting out I personally would suggest a simple push/pull/legs split. I would focus on one of the big compound movements each session and then add in some smaller compound/isolation exercises after if needs be.

Maybe try going with a 5x5 although I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will probably tell me that's considered archaic thinking......

You don't need to really add isolation exercises in for muscles groups like triceps, biceps and calves because if you're doing the rest of the exercises on each day correctly they'll be burning like hell anyway, again though this is assuming you are just starting out.

Push day - Chest, Delts and Triceps

Pull day - Back & Biceps

Leg day - Errrr Legs?

I've read a lot that suggests that hitting each muscle group only once a week isn't really effective in the long run for natural lifters do to shorter timings of protein synthesis however if you are just starting out you'll make excellent progress hitting them once a week. I'm not sure how long the 'newbie gains' last but its a decent amount of time to get you started.

That's interesting because I was randomly reading an article from the SL 5x5 dude and he was blasting beginners who hit 1 muscle group a week with split routines, saying they'll never see gains that way. He suggests compound lifts to get you stronger before moving on to split routines as you become more advanced in lifting. Now, I'm not sure how much of what he says is true and what is spin to sell his program but just food for thought I guess.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's interesting because I was randomly reading an article from the SL 5x5 dude and he was blasting beginners who hit 1 muscle group a week with split routines, saying they'll never see gains that way. He suggests compound lifts to get you stronger before moving on to split routines as you become more advanced in lifting. Now, I'm not sure how much of what he says is true and what is spin to sell his program but just food for thought I guess.

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting above.

Again though I think its more down to the natural/enhanced argument. Enhanced athletes apparently have longer periods where they are 'anabolic' compared to naturals so even if they only hit a muscle group once a week they can still grow.

I'd like to read some proper studies on this though because, even though I've read this or seen this in a lot of different places, it might be like Chinese whispers......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting above.

Again though I think its more down to the natural/enhanced argument. Enhanced athletes apparently have longer periods where they are 'anabolic' compared to naturals so even if they only hit a muscle group once a week they can still grow.

I'd like to read some proper studies on this though because, even though I've read this or seen this in a lot of different places, it might be like Chinese whispers......

You're right, in the article he said that there are 3 types of people who would benefit from that kind of routine: genetic freaks, people on enhancements, and experienced/intermediate lifters. I can definitely see why an enhanced lifter would benefit from that.

I think the key is, and this is just from my experience starting out, If I was to start again I think I'd focus on the 3 big lifts to begin with and get my key movement patterns and form down.

When I started I did the standard body building split but with very little focus on the core compound movements because I was working out at home.

This is just me, but I'd cut out the machine stuff at the local gym and just use the home things you have. You can press, squat and deadlift there. That's all you need if you want to increase your strength and muscle mass.

Also, split routines can still involve compound lifts.

I deadlift, squat, BB row, shoulder Press and bench (well, dumbbell bench because of a lack of a spotter) as part of my split routine.

I would err on the side of having a beginner do three full-body sessions per week. They don't need the high volume of multiple exercises that they would get on a body-part split. 6-8 sets on the largest muscle groups and 3-4 on the smallest would usually be fine.

I'll try and post a solid 3 x per week beginners routine later.

Any interested in reading more about the science of this sort of thing should check out the work or Brad Schoenfeld and Bret Contreras.

Strength gains are coming along very, very nicely. Today I hit a raw deadlift of 165kgs, 5kg up from last week. I'm certain I have more in the tank, the lift wasn't as ugly as I'd expected, but my grip did struggle in the last phase of the movement.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for improving grip? I was thinking of throwing in some partial deadlifts into my routine. I'd also love to do farmers walk, but there's no real opportunity to do that in my gym, any other ideas guys? 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Strength gains are coming along very, very nicely. Today I hit a raw deadlift of 165kgs, 5kg up from last week. I'm certain I have more in the tank, the lift wasn't as ugly as I'd expected, but my grip did struggle in the last phase of the movement.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for improving grip? I was thinking of throwing in some partial deadlifts into my routine. I'd also love to do farmers walk, but there's no real opportunity to do that in my gym, any other ideas guys? 

Superglue?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If you mean exercises that will improve grip, then I'm not sure as I've not really done any focusing on grip before.

But if you want to improve your grip "artificially" then you can get a bottle of liquid chalk for cheap from myprotein.com
I've used that before and it's excellent.

Not as good as straps, but as good as I've used without resorting to those.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

If you mean exercises that will improve grip, then I'm not sure as I've not really done any focusing on grip before.

But if you want to improve your grip "artificially" then you can get a bottle of liquid chalk for cheap from myprotein.com
I've used that before and it's excellent.

Not as good as straps, but as good as I've used without resorting to those.

Good point, I've never used liquid chalk before, I used to use 'real' chalk but this gym would never allow that. 

I think I'll give that a go since I'm trying to keep the lift raw for now. 

Liquid chalk is fine. As long as you let it dry on your hands first, it leaves almost no mess on the equipment.

Give it a go. First time I used liquid chalk I added 15kg to my deadlift purely because I could lift the bar without it slipping out!

Get some straps mate, i have some Schiek ones they are brilliant. My grip goes on anything over 140kg

39 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Get some straps mate, i have some Schiek ones they are brilliant. My grip goes on anything over 140kg

Disagree with this. There's definitely a time and a place for straps but if the goal is increased grip strength, then using them isn't going to help develop it.

Timed plate-pinches are good, as is a training cycle using thick bars/fat grips (wrap something around the bar or DB handle if you don't have these). 

Edited by JB

Disagree with this. There's definitely a time and a place for straps but if the goal is increased grip strength, then using them isn't going to help develop it.

Timed plate-pinches are good, as is a training cycle using thick bars/fat grips (wrap something around the bar or DB handle if you don't have these). 

Of course if your goal is grip strength itself then straps would be silly.

If you need to assist your grip to aid the exercise then theres no problem using them. Even Eddie Hall himself uses them once he hits 200kg or so. Everyone has different grip strength theres no set weight where you need them, its whenever you feel your grip starts to slip.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â