Gym Routine

olboydave

I was having a discussion with my mrs the other day about the benefits of resistance training when it comes to losing weight.

I came to the conclusion that the single most effective, quick way to lose weight, would be to squat something fairly significant, then sit back for the next few days and observe as calories are burnt up in the repairing of your leg muscles. Even a simple 5x5 squatting session can leave you ruined for days if you get right down with sufficient weight.

Dammit, I thought you were gonna say your conclusion was that the most effective way to lose weight is to try and convince the wife of something :D

• Like 1

I was having a discussion with my mrs the other day about the benefits of resistance training when it comes to losing weight.

I came to the conclusion that the single most effective, quick way to lose weight, would be to squat something fairly significant, then sit back for the next few days and observe as calories are burnt up in the repairing of your leg muscles. Even a simple 5x5 squatting session can leave you ruined for days if you get right down with sufficient weight.

Well yeah, assuming your eating a calorific deficit.

You could squat a tonne but you won't lose weight if you're not eating right.

No, ofcourse.

But Squatting does seem like the easiest way to summons a healthy dose of DOMS.

On the flip side, I can rarely get my back muscles to ache, which is concerning. (I tend to use ache as a simple indicator of how well my session has gone).

anyone used those vibrating plate thingys before ?

someone showed me sit ups and press ups on them the other week  ... the sit up one in particular is quite tough .. the press up one just seems to make my chins wobble :huh:

anyone used those vibrating plate thingys before ?

someone showed me sit ups and press ups on them the other week  ... the sit up one in particular is quite tough .. the press up one just seems to make my chins wobble :huh:

According to 'er indoors:

"Make sure you clear your bowels before attempting vibracise"

No, ofcourse.

On the flip side, I can rarely get my back muscles to ache, which is concerning. (I tend to use ache as a simple indicator of how well my session has gone).

I do find it difficult to focus on the back muscles, but it's just a case of making sure your form is right and trusting the exercise.

Don't use DOMs as a sign of a good workout. For me, certain muscles get it, others don't. I always get some degree of DOMs in my legs and lower back, but hardly ever in my biceps or chest.

It all works though.

But you're right about squats. It's a big calorie burner because it uses the whole body, the primary muscle being your quads and hammys, two of the biggest muscles in the body

So I've become a lazy slob. Properly hurt my knee last Thursday too which means I can't even do the walking. Just trying to control calorie intake now so I can at least try and lose weight (that I don't need to lose) whilst demotivated. The demotivation is affecting the effort I'm putting into meals too though. So basically at the mo' it Sux2Bme.

I could probably get away with bench press because that doesn't seem to affect the particular pain I have in the elbow. It just doesn't seem worth going just to do a bench press. The knee precludes me from any kind of cardio warm-up too which probably wouldn't be a great idea (although I've never enjoyed that part of the workout anyway). I could basically do the ab crunches and the bench and maybe the overhead press. Everything else is a no-no.

No, ofcourse.

I do find it difficult to focus on the back muscles, but it's just a case of making sure your form is right and trusting the exercise.

Don't use DOMs as a sign of a good workout. For me, certain muscles get it, others don't. I always get some degree of DOMs in my legs and lower back, but hardly ever in my biceps or chest.

It all works though.

But you're right about squats. It's a big calorie burner because it uses the whole body, the primary muscle being your quads and hammys, two of the biggest muscles in the body

That's re-assuring to know, I always feel like I'm not making progress if my muscles aren't aching after a workout. Funnily enough, I always get DOMS in my chest after a good workout, more so than any other area (apart from my quads).

heres another one ...should you do the weight in weights your comfortable with or should you be pushing your self with a higher weight 

You should push yourself to an extent, but not at the expense of technique. Any rep where your form isn't at least pretty good should be treated as a failure. Don't progress the weight if you failed a single rep of any of your predetermined sets.

Meath, do you mean compound lifts? It goes back to an earlier chat on here. The more reps you can do, the more you're benefitting definition and to an extent stamina. The fewer reps you can do, the stronger you'll be getting. It depends what you're after. You are after strength so you should be pushing yourself. If you can comfortably do more than 5 reps of a weight at a time then you're probably not lifting enough.

yeah compound ......I went up in weights today and struggled in my last set of 10 only managed 8 in the last heave and my "buddy" said just do what your comfortable with while the week before I was speaking to a guy in the gym and he said push yourself ....

so 2 conflicting bits of advice ....

personally im trying to push it but the chance of injury I take it is quite high 

Edited by Meath_Villan

Push yourself. The point is to grow the muscle. It only grows if you give it a lot to do (albeit gradually). You should not be able to do 10 reps per set if you're trying to gain strength. You should be doing half that.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â