Gym Routine

olboydave

Cheers BOF, I've seen so many variations on the Dumbbell curls and tbh I'm not entirely sure which is the best way.

Some people, like me, start off with the Dumbbell in a hammer grip, rotating it as they lift, while others keep the dumbbell running across their body for the whole exercise. Who knows.

Should really incorporate Skull Crushers into my routine.

IN terms of the bicep curl, as long as you're squeezing at the top of the lift and turning your hand out (pinky up) you're fine. That should be the very top of the lift.

Hammer curls are a legit lift too fwiw.

Personally, the only direct bicep work I do are DB curls and preacher curls, and occasionally hammers.

Cheers BOF, I've seen so many variations on the Dumbbell curls and tbh I'm not entirely sure which is the best way.

Some people, like me, start off with the Dumbbell in a hammer grip, rotating it as they lift, while others keep the dumbbell running across their body for the whole exercise. Who knows.

Should really incorporate Skull Crushers into my routine.

IN terms of the bicep curl, as long as you're squeezing at the top of the lift and turning your hand out (pinky up) you're fine. That should be the very top of the lift.

Hammer curls are a legit lift too fwiw.

Personally, the only direct bicep work I do are DB curls and preacher curls, and occasionally hammers.

Cheers, looks like I'm on the right track then. 

That's what I meant... I think.

I meant he'd manage 70kg on a real bench, i.e. implying he could do a lot more on the Smith.

No, his form was poor on a smith at 70. So on a bench I'd say he'd struggle to get near it with decent form. The numbers I gave as an example were higher.

I see, but my point was he's gained strength whilst doing DB press, so I was saying he could probably manage 70kg on a bench now. 

I wasn't being scientific about it, just saying someone who can DB press 27.5kg on each arm should probably be able to bench 70kg.

And if you can bench 70kg you can smith a lot more.

Yeah my previous best was from 4 years ago when I didn't really know what I was doing. I probably won't be able to engage in your experiment BOF because I'm going inter railing on Monday and tomorrow is shoulders and arms. I probably would fancy myself to get up near enough to 70kg on a barbell though. Also the new bench I bought is rickety at best, so can really be doing bench press on it.

I'll do my best to find a gym in Amsterdam though, in the interest of science

Just to add my 'two cents' into the conversation, PB on flat bench is 120kg and DB Curl 22kg :) I grunt during sets to get the final few reps out, never return the weights to the rack and take time to give my advice to someone who is doing an exercise incorrectly in my opinion :D

I much prefer the 'full straight curls' for the bicep.

Elbows locked into your side, arms straight with the palms facing out (if you're looking in a mirror your palms will be facing you). When you lift you're doing the full motion so the whole bicep is working rather than parts of it like you see some people doing. Dumbbell should near enough be touching your shoulder when at the top of the squeeze, then return to the start position again.

Feels awesome when you're doing it.

I much prefer the 'full straight curls' for the bicep.

Elbows locked into your side, arms straight with the palms facing out (if you're looking in a mirror your palms will be facing you). When you lift you're doing the full motion so the whole bicep is working rather than parts of it like you see some people doing. Dumbbell should near enough be touching your shoulder when at the top of the squeeze, then return to the start position again.

Feels awesome when you're doing it.

Strictly speaking the bicep is also responsible for supination of the hand so a full ROM curl would start with palms in towards you and finish in the same place you described

never return the weights to the rack

I hate you ;)

Especially if he's a heavy lifter. Walking up to an available squat rack with 3pps still on the bar. Ffffffuuuuuuuu.

Down at my local gym the other day, three fellas in their early 20s were doing a chest session. Surrounding them was every single DB between 2.5kg and 15kg. And they were using the barbell bench. I didn't say anything because I wasn't using those weights and could strip set with push ups, but these lads definitely had parents who were cousins. One of them was about my level of strength and then the other two were seemingly new to the gym. They could barely walk through their area with all the weights strewn around them. I probably should have said something, if for nothing else than to sound like a big man.

"Lads you might throw a few of those weights back on the rack when you're done". Yeah that's what I should have said

That really annoys me.

Not so much people using loads of different dumbells at once (although that IS annoying)

But then leaving them all over the floor when they're done. Have some **** respect.

Ok chaps, it's time for Paul asks Stevo and BOF for advice round II.

ABS & Core

I do the best part of nothing when it comes to abs. Infact, the only time when I exercise this area is when I'm waiting for my spotter to turn up on a Thursday evening.

I would like to fit some into my routine however, I'm on a 5 day split and It seems like I'm neglecting a large part of my body.

I'm not really interested in sit ups, but more the total body exercises, like the deadlift to shoulder press type exercises, and I've recently been doing that thing where you roll the dumbells away from you until you're effectively lying down, before returning to a kneeling position.

What do people find works best? if anything?

Do you Deadlift and squat?

Likely that's all the core workout you need.

The only abs work I do is a few sets of crunches, some russian twists and some leg raises. But that's only ever to kill time. If I was pushed for time they'd be the first thing to go. If you really want to work on building them up I'd suggest some weighted situp, mayeb on a decline, and just progress with the weight like you would any other lift.

Lower back work is more important. Lookup Good Mornings and Hyperextensions.

Romanian Deadlifts will hit it too.

Do you Deadlift and squat?

Likely that's all the core workout you need.

The only abs work I do is a few sets of crunches, some russian twists and some leg raises. But that's only ever to kill time. If I was pushed for time they'd be the first thing to go. If you really want to work on building them up I'd suggest some weighted situp, mayeb on a decline, and just progress with the weight like you would any other lift.

Lower back work is more important. Lookup Good Mornings and Hyperextensions.

Romanian Deadlifts will hit it too.

Yeah I do Deadlifts, Squats and Good mornings. I did them all this morning before work infact, ironically it wasn't the best of mornings by time I'd finished.

I'm not particularly bothered about building up my abs, I'm not nearly skinny enough to worry about getting a six-pack, and even if I were I think I'd can-off the weekend curries first.

I think it's more the core that I'm most concerned with, but it also looks like I've probably got it covered. Would like to get more involved with the kettlebells, but there's only so much time in the week.

Baseball grip (I've never heard that term before, I usually just call it "over under", but I like it!)

Don't use a belt but considering getting straps for grip. Use liquid chalk at the moment but I think straps would be a bit more practical.

I could actually use a belt I think as I struggle a bit with lower back twinges.

I need to get something for my deadlifts, be it gloves, straps or chalk. The limiting factor on how much I can lift comes solely down to my lack of grip, rather than back strength.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â