What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I would normally be against suggesting best of albums, but 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong would be a good place to start.

Right, I'm in. Just ordered CD.

If me likey, I'll venture onto Pete's suggestions.

Thanks guys. :P

The second disc of that compilation is much better than the first, IMO.

Moving on from The Fall

I have just been listening to some Tom Waits

51xRunsSL8L._AA200_.jpg

Product Description
Amazon.co.uk
The abnormal has become the norm for Tom Waits, so, once again, Bone Machine is laden with odd timbres, archaic acoustics, and raw vocals. This time, however, Waits has built his songs around a Harry Partch-inspired fascination with primitive percussion. With a crew of Northern California musicians along to add spare adornments, Waits fashions pretty, sentimental tunes ("A Little Rain", Whistle Down the Wind") and hellish stampedes of clanging metal and hoarse shouting ("Earth Died Screaming", "Let Me Get Up on It", the latter the 53-second distillation of Bone Machine quintessence--just Waits distorted bellowing and banging. Bone Machine is both appalling and appealing. There are elements to this album that seem designed to drive away the faint of heart, and then there are melodies that melt in your hand. --Steve Stolder

image_zps81822f0b.jpg

I always meant to check out Radish. I've got a couple of Ben Kweller albums (Sha Sha being a favourite), but never got around to giving his Radish stuff a listen.

To be fair, I only picked it up because of my unhealthy obsession with Kweller. It's not amazing if I'm honest but needing to be a completist, I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Just listening to Tom Waits - Blood Money

I love the morbid/gritty/grotesque world he paints in his songs and albums, you don't need a film you can just put some of his stuff on and shut your eyes and you end up being transported to a smokey dirty backstreet bar with some of the freakiest characters imaginable all around you.

• Like 1

chase-status-brand-new-machinec-cover.jp

its ok, sounds like they've copied their influences rather than tried to break new ground, lots of 90s sounding songs (with the last single being the most obvious one) shocked me how much I liked no more idols and was really impressed with the festival stuff in the summer, still think lost and not found is my favourite song this year

41vei9pVFvL._AA200_.jpg

Product Description
Product Description
Acclaimed US singer-songwriter Jason Isbell leaves no stone unturned on his sublime new album ‘Southeastern’, out October 7th on Southeastern Records/Thirty Tigers, and one of his most sleeve-worn records to date. Unlocking the door to his psyche with 12 soul searching confessionals, from haunting opener ‘Cover Me Up’ to ‘Elephant’ – a frank, raw meditation on death.US country star Kim Richey lends a hand with vocals as does Isbell’s singer-songwriter wife Amanda Shires; Richey on ‘Stockholm’ and ‘Relatively Easy’, and Shires on ‘Travelling Alone’. It was recorded in Nashville and produced by Dave Cobb (Jamey Johnson, The Secret Sisters). Having reached the artist’s highest ever debut on the Billboard Top 200 at No.23, US critics have been unanimous in their praise for the new record, currently out in the States. New York Times Magazine have called Jason Isbell ‘One of America’s thoroughbred songwriters’ and USA Today have said ‘every song on Isbell's fourth studio album punches your gut.’ Originally finding fame as guitarist and songwriter in the much-lauded Drive-By Truckers, this is Isbell’s first solo album following his celebrated 2007 debut ‘Sirens of the Ditch’. Having toured the UK as special guest support to Ryan Adams last year, Jason will take on his own headline tour this autumn – UK dates to be announced shortly.

Truly fantastic album, bought it yesterday and I already know that this will be well played

Everyone should listen to Elephant its brilliant, a story about his friend dying of cancer, not the happiest of subjects but its still great

I'm a big fan of this man, he has done some great stuff, if you are into the ''outlaw'' country sounds of Steve Earle, Guy Clarke or Townes Van Zandt and want a kind of modern take on it then give him a go

51rDBTbBiaL._AA200_.jpg

Product Description
Hayes Carll is a Texas singer, songwriter, poet and guitarist who puts his own folk twist to the regular old rockin' Texas folk country. He sounds like Steve Earle and his melodies are like John Prine. He is a younger version of Buddy Miller. His music is Americana roots. He is a Texan country troubadour type with a refreshing energy in his thick southern drawl and twang style. Hayes Carll is one of the best of a new breed of Texas singer/songwriters. Hayes has cut his teeth working the same coffee houses, honky-tonks and bars that have spawned the likes of Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, and Lyle Lovett .
  • Like 1

51vNV2UjOgL._SX355_.jpg

Review by Mark Deming  [-]

America in 2009 is a place and time where it isn't hard at all to have the blues, and Scott H. Biram sure seems to know it. The "Dirty One-Man-Band"'s third album for Bloodshot, Something's Wrong/Lost Forever, doesn't spend a lot of time dwelling on the specifics, but if ever there was set of songs that reflects the edgy malaise of a nation trying to shake off war, unemployment and bad karma, this disc fills the bill. "Ain't It A Shame" is a tough bit of gospel-tinged blues in which Biram and his harmonica preaches on a nation full of hate and confusion, and it segues into "Judgement Day," a considerably more raucous assessment of a day when greed and bad ideas work hand in hand with the devil to bring the whole planet down. Elsewhere, Something's Wrong/Lost Forever is dominated by stories of lost souls just trying to get by, a theme that's always timely but feels even more weighty right now. Biram sounds a bit less manic on these sessions than in his earlier work, but the grit and raw, plain-spoken emotional edge of his music hasn't changed much even if he's spending a bit more time with keyboards and acoustic instruments than a blown-out electric guitar on tunes like "Sinkin' Down," "Draggin' Down The Line" and the excellent " "Still Drunk, Still Crazy, Still Blue." But don't get the notion that Biram has forsaken his wild side -- "The Wishing Well" and "Hard Time" still crank it up loud and dirty, and he teams up with the Black Diamond Heavies on "I Feel So Good" to chase those bad vibes away. Scott H. Biram isn't trying to deliver a State Of The Union Address on Something's Wrong/Lost Forever, but he's sure made a record that resonates with the times; sometimes it's dark, sometimes it's edgy, but there's always soul, passion and life in it, and it comes straight from the heart of a man who sings and plays like his life depends on it each time he steps up to the microphone.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â