What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

spacer.png

Desumanos. S/T

A slightly surfy take on some Brazilian rhythm (Cumbia, apparently) from a whole host of clever people, not least a couple of the musicians in Rio 18, Kassin and Manoel Cordeiro.

From the new cheapo section in Spillers, also available via Vampi Soul on Bandcamp for your cheap fixes. £14 in shop, £10 plus postage from Bandcamp. Don’t get gouged, kids.

The nice thing with the record is the bass has been put front and centre, everything from the album I’ve found on YouTube has the bass disappeared to nothing to show off the guitars. Had I played some YouTube, I doubt I’d have bought it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Bit weird but parts of it definitely listenable. I think one or two on here may like it or probably heard it @Xann

There is a headspace with free form music and there's crazy energy with a full on Skronk assault.

You've got to be in the right mood and company for the challenging numbers.

Can't recall consciously buying any von Schlippenbach or Manfred Schoof. Might have a Peter Brötzmann promo?

Not got that much Free Form Jazz. Don't hunt it down, it's more stumbling across it. Happy to buy it, if it's cool?

• Like 1

IMG-0715.jpg

https://bombmagazine.org/articles/2004/04/01/goodbye-babylon-various-artists/

The six-CD collection Goodbye Babylon, a love letter to early gospel music, is simply one of the most breathtaking compilations you’ve ever heard, or seen. Designed by Susan Archie, six discs in pulpy cardboard-colored slipcases are encased in a hand-silk-screened pine box, along with a book’s worth of liner notes, designed just like an old hymnal. Raw cotton surrounds the discs to represent the toil and trouble all the artists endured to make this music (created by laborers and preachers, primarily from the South). The CD covers have gorgeous, Nikki McClure-esque illustrations of cotton balls, which create a cross when assembled.

It’s hard to believe, but this is the first release of a small record label called Dust to Digital, run by 20-something Lance Ledbetter out of his apartment in Atlanta. Goodbye Babylon is stuffed with arcane sounds as visceral as they are heavenly. Each disc has a loose theme—Salvation, Judgment, Deliverance Will Come—and the songs flow unexpectedly into one another despite such diversity: heavy blues, lilting country duets, bizarre choral music from the Sacred Harp hymnal, field hollers, an entire disc of raw preaching (recorded sermons were best-sellers before radio became widespread), even a calypso track.

Love Dust to Digital!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â