What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

IMG-0653.webp

IMG-0654.jpg

Incredible set from the great Dust to Digital label. This set consists of the B-sides of the 78s Harry Smith used for his legendary Anthology of American Folk Music (desert island material for me). I absolutely love this kind of stuff, have a massive collection but only listen to it when my wife is not in the house. She hates it 🤣

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

IMG-0653.webp

IMG-0654.jpg

Incredible set from the great Dust to Digital label. This set consists of the B-sides of the 78s Harry Smith used for his legendary Anthology of American Folk Music (desert island material for me). I absolutely love this kind of stuff, have a massive collection but only listen to it when my wife is not in the house. She hates it 🤣

I have the Harry Smith box set (compulsory for us Dylan fans). 

Didn't know about the B-sides set until now. Apparently three songs have been omitted due to racist lyrics. 

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Didn't know about the B-sides set until now. Apparently three songs have been omitted due to racist lyrics. 

They have indeed. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Should they be omitted or is it wokery gone mad ? 

That's three of us with the 'Anthology Of American Folk Music'.

Anyone else?

It's in with the vinyl and I forget about it, which goes some way to explain why it's still sealed.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

That's three of us with the 'Anthology Of American Folk Music'.

Anyone else?

It's in with the vinyl and I forget about it, which goes some way to explain why it's still sealed.

Absolutely essential for me 

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Absolutely essential for me 

It is a nice thing, for sure. That and it being £11 are the reasons I bought it.
Though if we're talking early recordings, like from the 1920s? MP3 can do that ok.
Some of the archives are great for this era.

The David W. Niven Collection of Early Jazz Legends, 1921-1991

David W. Niven

650 tapes · 1,000 hours · 1,378 WAV files · 637 GB · 691 JPEG scans of cassette liner cards & literature. Meticulously Collected, Compiled, and Narrated by David W. Niven, 1930-1993. Generously Donated by David W. Niven to the Foxborough High School Jazz Program, Stephen C. Massey, Director, 2010. Archived to CD-Quality Digital Audio by Kevin J. Powers, 2010-2011.

https://archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

34 minutes ago, Xann said:

It is a nice thing, for sure. That and it being £11 are the reasons I bought it.
Though if we're talking early recordings, like from the 1920s? MP3 can do that ok.
Some of the archives are great for this era.

https://archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

If I could go back in time I would be a songcatcher, a la Cecil Sharp and Olive Campbell, and to less academically-focused degree, A.P. Carter & Bascam Lamar Lunaford. Sharp traipsed all over my home county, Buncombe, and neighboring Madison County, collecting songs over a hundred years ago. And the places he went were ungodly rural and provincial as hell. Most outsiders went in but never came out. Madison County is legendary for moonshiners and feuds and inter-generational violence. Even as recently as the 90s it was still a place to avoid completely or drive quickly through. Took a lot of guts and not knowing any better to go where Sharp went. In other words, perfect places to find old ballads and folk songs. Below is a highway sign in Madison County from Sharp’s visits 

IMG-0657.jpg

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Xann said:

Sharp's legacy is still a thing :)

Kennedy-Hall-gig.jpg.d6ec9b44926dbaf6608c36989d6ce929.jpg

https://www.efdss.org/cecil-sharp-house

Regret missing Linda Perhacs here.

I went to an event there in 2011. Amazing event, there was a long (2+ hour) documentary about all sorts of British folklore. 100% up my alley. All in B&W. Truly amazing, my wife and I still talk about it. Regret not buying the DVD box set but it was in PAL & would have been useless to me. Need to find the name of the set so I can see if there is a BluRay 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Regret not buying the DVD box set but it was in PAL & would have been useless to me. Need to find the name of the set so I can see if there is a BluRay 

Had a Blackmagic Teranex, one of the greatest toys in video technology. Regret giving it away cos it could even do something about NTSC's colour issues, but there was a favour due.

A quick search throws up Shutter Encoder for transcoding, maybe have a look?

14 minutes ago, Xann said:

Had a Blackmagic Teranex, one of the greatest toys in video technology. Regret giving it away cos it could even do something about NTSC's colour issues, but there was a favour due.

A quick search throws up Shutter Encoder for transcoding, maybe have a look?

👍👍 I still don’t even know what the name of the set was or if it’s still available 

9 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

If I could go back in time I would be a songcatcher, a la Cecil Sharp and Olive Campbell, and to less academically-focused degree, A.P. Carter & Bascam Lamar Lunaford. Sharp traipsed all over my home county, Buncombe, and neighboring Madison County, collecting songs over a hundred years ago. And the places he went were ungodly rural and provincial as hell. Most outsiders went in but never came out. Madison County is legendary for moonshiners and feuds and inter-generational violence. Even as recently as the 90s it was still a place to avoid completely or drive quickly through. Took a lot of guts and not knowing any better to go where Sharp went. In other words, perfect places to find old ballads and folk songs. Below is a highway sign in Madison County from Sharp’s visits 

IMG-0657.jpg

Shout out to Alan Lomax, too. 

• Like 2

Friend lent me a cd (shock horror 😮 ) and it's an artist I've never really listened to at all but it's getting plenty of playtime from me at the mo. 'Maybe you're right' is an absolutely wonderful track. But a great Album imo.

th?id=OIP.lPraThfnTAZ69GHsmpQ_gAHaHX%26p

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â