What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

50 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

image.thumb.jpeg.03620e4c4633a0411f2b64be6ee2e7c5.jpeg

will give this a proper listen to tomorrow - loved what Easy Star All-Stars did with Dark Side of The Moon and OK Computer so interested to hear how they interpret Bowie.

I once saw some reggae act do a retelling of Princes Purple Rain, an album I rather like. Enough to say I contracted ear aids 10 seconds into the first song. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

And being awake early I:m continuing...

MS0zMTkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I was aware of The Pop Group but I only really knew his ….and the maffia material. I didn’t hate it, to my uninitiated ears it wasn’t a million miles from the early Shamen recordings and I was also taken with that popular Gary Clail album, Emotional Hooligan, and I felt what I heard from MSaTM it was a bedfellow. 

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I was aware of The Pop Group but I only really knew his ….and the maffia material. I didn’t hate it, to my uninitiated ears it wasn’t a million miles from the early Shamen recordings and I was also taken with that popular Gary Clail album, Emotional Hooligan, and I felt what I heard from MSaTM it was a bedfellow. 

I can see where the early Shamen comparison comes in, especially around the Third solo eponymous album which was where he started to dabble in electronics a bit more

According to Discogs, I have 24 records that feature Mark Stewart which kinda shows how big he was for me :(

• Like 1

Anyway back home now and the first of my purchases to be played is…

The Orb feat Lee Scratch Perry - The Upsetter at the Starhouse Sessions. A best of of the Orb/LSP sessions which produced two albums back when they did them iirc. They did some sessions together re-doing tunes from both their back catalogue. Some of it was fairly meh iirc especially on the second album but this contains most of the good stuff

3E28C513-E6DE-4F38-B5E9-4E0440007DDE.jpeg

• Like 2

Ah now, you think that Orb LSP one is decent?

I’ve not bothered going in today, but if I end up in there during the week, and they had one, it’s one of the very few this year I’d consider getting.

So that stays on the list then. 

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Its the best of the tracks they did but even then they've put two versions of Golden Clouds (Little Fluffy Clouds) on it which when you consider there were originally two ramblingly long CD albums says a lot about the quality of the original sessions. First impressions are that its OK but I bought it as a fan of both artists. Is it top drawer? No Is it as bad of the seemingly weekly LSP collaborations from the grave, again, No.

Fair to middling I'd say

• Like 1

This was a RSD release. IMO it has no place being such a thing. It's brand new, never released on any format, it's not a limited edition and it will be re-orderable after the fact. It's just a release

Another Lionel Liminana & David Menke soundtrack collaboration, this time to a documentary titled Thatcher's Not Dead. Double album that is fortunately not priced at the +£8 level.

I'd have bought this no matter what day it was released and I imagine so would 95% of the people who have bought it because I'm a big fan of the Liminanas

Primary

2 hours ago, bickster said:

even then they've put two versions of Golden Clouds (Little Fluffy Clouds) on it

I spent about an hour, several years ago when it came out, listening over and over to that, trying to note down the lyrics. I reckon I got them about 98% right and having started I was determined to finish, but I wish I’d never started. It’s the second half that’s hard to capture.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve not bothered going in today, but if I end up in there during the week, and they had one, it’s one of the very few this year I’d consider getting.

So that stays on the list then. 

Listening to it for a second time, it's better than I first thought or I'm in a more receptive mood...

But here's the thing, it has already sold 10 times on DIscogs, three different people have paid £36, £40 and £44 for it. There is only one for sale in the UK - £75. Cheapest one including shipping is £40 and that is the rarity. Utter Madness!

Picked up a copy of this today. I was returning a record to the shop and ended up buying more records. The vinyl is in excellent condition

Berlin School Kosmiche from the highly influential and recently departed Klaus Schulze. A 2 track album from 1976 - Moondawn

You want a description... Synths a plenty in 25 minute plus sprawling trippy and proggy instrumentals. Or like Tangerine Dream but not shit.

DSC_0280-scaled.jpg

Also while on the  search for something that wasn't quite as described in another shop, I ended up looking through their sale bins of former RSD releases, this was priced as being at £25.99 but was in the 2 for £25 sale. I mean this is only last years RSD stock and this album new and sealed is still selling for over £30. I have no idea why they couldn't shift this in a year, it's a wonderful album. Because I bought another album in the sale, this effectively cost £12.50

Beth Orton - Central Reservation.

ODctNzc3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Also while on the  search for something that wasn't quite as described in another shop, I ended up looking through their sale bins of former RSD releases, this was priced as being at £25.99 but was in the 2 for £25 sale. I mean this is only last years RSD stock and this album new and sealed is still selling for over £30. I have no idea why they couldn't shift this in a year, it's a wonderful album. Because I bought another album in the sale, this effectively cost £12.50

Beth Orton - Central Reservation.

ODctNzc3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Such a beautiful album. Flawless and hasn’t seen daylight in this house for well over 10 years. I will remedy that tomorrow. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â