What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

A Jon Savage Punk Compilation - England's Dreaming

25 tracks, includes proto stuff like Iggy & the Stooges and the Electric Eels, lots of stuff I haven't heard, early Cabaret Voltaire, Brian Eno and Snatch, The Residents (with Beatles samples) as well as staples like Sioxsie, X-Ray Spex, Adverts etc

MS05OTAxLmpwZWc.jpeg

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Just bought this on CD,   Count Ossie and the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari - Tales of Mozambique

Count Ossie was the first artist to commit Nyahbinghi drumming to record and this is considered a classic. Definitely channeling Sun Ra here

Pic is for the vinyl, I'm playing the CD

Primary

There are about 6 Count Ossie tracks across this…

spacer.png

But I dug it’s out for the Johnny Clarke contribution ‘None Shall Escape The Judgement’ because that’s just addictive. There’s a Johnny Clarke ‘Best Of’ coming out soon and I just know I’ll end up buying it for tracks I’ve already got across two or three other records.

• Like 1

spacer.png

The sublime Golden Fable, it’s been one of those albums I always pluck out of the rack and then something else shinier catches my eye and it stays in the shop. So I did the same today but asked how many were left as it was in the sale section. That’s it, that’s the one we’ve got. So it was finally time to actually buy it and it’s an absolute peach. Other than Blondie, I think I had next to no female vocalists in my collection for years. That’s being redressed more recently.

Saw these live a couple of years back and they were so perfect, if you closed your eyes it was like listening to a recording, in a good way.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Are you back in the shires now?

Forgot to tell you that thee was a decent 2nd hand shop not too far away from Streatham in Crystal Palace

Yes, back home now to the sound of birdsong and pigs snorting.

Remind me next time or PM me and I'll get the stepdaughter to have a mooch, she's a record collector too now ;)

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Other than Blondie, I think I had next to no female vocalists in my collection for years. That’s being redressed more recently.

I reckon I was the same, but maybe 10 years ago something changed. I’m guessing that since then about 75% of the stuff I’ve bought, or liked is female led. I think, clumsily, that it’s just that’s where the “new” lies, at least new to me in terms of different and interesting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, blandy said:

I reckon I was the same, but maybe 10 years ago something changed. I’m guessing that since then about 75% of the stuff I’ve bought, or liked is female led. I think, clumsily, that it’s just that’s where the “new” lies, at least new to me in terms of different and interesting.

Yes, that’s a strong agree.

It’s probably just me and my arc of discovery of music but I’d have started off very much with the ladz bandz but I guess that gets a bit samey after 30 or 40 years. There’s only so much dubbing on of electronic tricks turning straightforward drum and guitar in to drum guitar and synth space rock to sustain you. So yeah, all of a sudden you discover a bit of Cate Le Bon or 9bach and there’s something interesting going on. Then the record collection takes a swerve and the stuff that gets repeat plays is Georgia Ruth, Rogue Jones, Gwenno, Ani Glas.

I’ve bought a couple of traditional blokes rock band records this year and they’re fine, perfectly good. But they didn’t exactly bring me anything ‘new’.

• Like 1

Not the same for me. There's always been women singers. I think it's a product of being a child of the punk era. Sure there weren't as many but Patti Smith, Poly Styrene, SIouxsie would have been a starting point, then Pauline Black and Clare Grogan through quite a few more to Tania Donnelly and the gang, Bjork and onwards. Sure there were more male singers in the collection but there just were more male singers at the time but it was never down in the 10% female percentile. In fact I think I was more prepared to listen if it was a female singer than a male

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not the same for me. There's always been women singers. I think it's a product of being a child of the punk era. Sure there weren't as many but Patti Smith, Poly Styrene, SIouxsie would have been a starting point, then Pauline Black and Clare Grogan through quite a few more to Tania Donnelly and the gang, Bjork and onwards. Sure there were more male singers in the collection but there just were more male singers at the time but it was never down in the 10% female percentile. In fact I think I was more prepared to listen if it was a female singer than a male

That’s all fair comment, but kind of a different tack to the conversation, at least to the comment I made, which is that a big majority of new music that has caught my liking this last decade or so has been by female artists and though I don’t know why that should be other than “this sounds new and I like it”, that’s a very different balance to previously, where much more of the stuff I bought was by male led acts. It’s not that I didn’t like music with female singers and now I do ( that would be completely wrong) it’s that nearly all the new music made that has caught my attention has been female created. I guess a big part of that might be because labels release more, promote more etc as a proportion of the total, or it might be exactly as @chrisp65says in that what they are making is new and different compared to all the stuff I already own and like

Anyhow... currently on. All the hits on two CDs. Nothing you'll never have heard of but all in the one place

Oddest thing about it, is that after all the usual Smooth FM fodder, it ends on 1969 by the Stooges

OTEtNzg4NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Discogs

Probe finally managed to source me Volume 4 of the Wizzz! series to complete the set

Compilation series tend to tail off in quality but as their intended brush is so broad, that isn't the case here.

NTUtMjA5Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â