What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Currently have 3 albums on rotation

Purling Hiss: Drag on Girard Album Review | Pitchfork

Purling Hiss - Drag On Girard

If you like Dinosaur Jr, then you'll absolutely love this!

Mystic 100's (fka Milk Music) Announce New Album 'On A Micro Diet'

The Mystic 100's - On A Micro Diet

Formerly known as Milk Music (who released the fantastic Cruise Your Illusion in 2013) they've dialled back the garage rock/post punk spikiness a little but still produced an almost live-jam sounding album with epic long tracks, that dawdle along at a leisurely pace.

Quasi: Breaking the Balls of History Album Review | Pitchfork

Quasi - Breaking The Balls Of History

First release from the Portland duo in 10yrs - brilliant, catchy tracks and if you like Pavement, check this out. 

Looking forward to the new Temples album being released in a few weeks and have a ticket to an intimate show/record signing event.

• Like 1

Katatonia, Sky Void Of Stars. Magical album. Dark, uplifting, tuneful. Everything I'm enjoying about previously ultra-heavy Scandinavian metal bands that have mellowed as they age.

Jonas Renkse is an absolutely superb singer.

attachment-Katatonia-Sky-Void-of-Stars-Album-Artwork.jpg.1bc37d7690c594147825ea3eca5f814b.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Currently have 3 albums on rotation

Purling Hiss: Drag on Girard Album Review | Pitchfork

Purling Hiss - Drag On Girard

If you like Dinosaur Jr, then you'll absolutely love this!

Mystic 100's (fka Milk Music) Announce New Album 'On A Micro Diet'

The Mystic 100's - On A Micro Diet

Formerly known as Milk Music (who released the fantastic Cruise Your Illusion in 2013) they've dialled back the garage rock/post punk spikiness a little but still produced an almost live-jam sounding album with epic long tracks, that dawdle along at a leisurely pace.

Quasi: Breaking the Balls of History Album Review | Pitchfork

Quasi - Breaking The Balls Of History

First release from the Portland duo in 10yrs - brilliant, catchy tracks and if you like Pavement, check this out. 

Looking forward to the new Temples album being released in a few weeks and have a ticket to an intimate show/record signing event.

Hmmm, I reckon I’ll be Bandcamping that Mystic 100’s one later this evening when the laptop is open…

Anyhoo, as all vinyl collectors know, Dog’s Trust in Cowbridge has a tiny but excellent back room of vinyl. None of the usual Don Estelle or Leo Sayer.

For £3 I was torn between a box set of Wagner, or a double album of Miles Davis, and the winner is…

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmmm, I reckon I’ll be Bandcamping that Mystic 100’s one later this evening when the laptop is open…

Anyhoo, as all vinyl collectors know, Dog’s Trust in Cowbridge has a tiny but excellent back room of vinyl. None of the usual Don Estelle or Leo Sayer.

For £3 I was torn between a box set of Wagner, or a double album of Miles Davis, and the winner is…

spacer.png

Some of those old Prestige collections like this were fantastic.  I had the Sonny Rollins one I picked up back in the '80s.  Blue Note did a similar thing with their artists around the same time.  I remember having the Horace Silver, Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band and Herbie Hancock ones.  They were great introductions to artists to help you get started exploring.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Some of those old Prestige collections like this were fantastic.  I had the Sonny Rollins one I picked up back in the '80s.  Blue Note did a similar thing with their artists around the same time.  I remember having the Horace Silver, Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band and Herbie Hancock ones.  They were great introductions to artists to help you get started exploring.

Island Records Mango imprint did a series called Reggae Greats in the 80s, single albums but each one was an absoluter belter of a compilation, I still have a few of them but I've also lost a few over time.

And just as the rest of the world was loving or despising The Smiths, I was off on a tangent watching power poppers Squire do an In Store at Virgin.

Look at that, cellophane and price sticker intact 40 years later.

spacer.png

spacer.png

excellent record keeping notation there by the youngster

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

He's a massive nobber, but he has made some cracking albums.

spacer.png

I'll be forever put off by Ian Brown after seeing him live at Reading festival one year. Not sure if it was just a bad day for him but the dude couldn't sing for shit and sounded absolutely nothing like his records. Probably the worst live act I've ever seen. 

On 05/04/2023 at 18:44, VILLAMARV said:

Yeah, that's him! Good days and bad :D

I've seen the Stone Roses and Brown solo quite a few times, there has never been a good night with his vocals

Anyway, I haven't set up the record player yet so I'm playing CDs (I have shitloads of those too). Right now, I have the vastly under rated third album by Portishead on, wittily entitled Third

I live in hope there'll be a fourth (but I doubt it)

A really great album that gets ignored because of the success of the first album

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Anyway, I haven't set up the record player yet so I'm playing CDs (I have shitloads of those too). Right now, I have the vastly under rated third album by Portishead on, wittily entitled Third

I live in hope there'll be a fourth (but I doubt it)

A really great album that gets ignored because of the success of the first album

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Such a terrific album (one of my favourite covers too). I have vivid memories of being blown away the first time I heard Machine Gun.

Great stuff and ***whispers*** I prefer it to their first album.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Such a terrific album (one of my favourite covers too). I have vivid memories of being blown away the first time I heard Machine Gun.

Its their best no doubts in my mind and yes Machine Gun is just relentless and superb

• Like 2

On 05/04/2023 at 09:38, Designer1 said:

He's a massive nobber, but he has made some cracking albums.

spacer.png

Mmm-hmm, same here pretty much; I never want to see him live, and I've never been into Stone Roses particularly, but I do love Music Of The Spheres (F.E.A.R. in particular, love that track) and most of his collab stuff with UNKLE.

• Like 1

And to follow on from that its up to Scotland and and Mogwai's debut - Young Team.... I've drunk the requisite amount of alcohol and turned the volume up. This isn't Mogwai's best but its still good and its another great album cover, I'd put that on the wall

OTQ0MS5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Intrigued to hear the take on what is their best output. Young Team does edge it for me, with Rave Tapes a very close second.

I'm not sure I could give a definitive answer, Come On Die Young or Hawk is Howling maybe. Not a bad album in their catalogue though

• Like 1

Just bought this on CD,   Count Ossie and the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari - Tales of Mozambique

Count Ossie was the first artist to commit Nyahbinghi drumming to record and this is considered a classic. Definitely channeling Sun Ra here

Pic is for the vinyl, I'm playing the CD

Primary

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â