What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

spacer.png

Sweet Baboo new album, The Wreckage

Just a lovely relaxing album, one of those ones that’s possible these days, recorded at home, finished in a studio. Plus help from a few friends like David Newington (Boy Azooga / Keys), H Hawkline and a couple of others. But not too much help, when the credits read: words and music, vocals, grand piano, clarinet, xylophone, baritone sax and synth by Sweet Baboo, and then he releases it on his own label!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Sweet Baboo new album, The Wreckage

Just a lovely relaxing album, one of those ones that’s possible these days, recorded at home, finished in a studio. Plus help from a few friends like David Newington (Boy Azooga / Keys), H Hawkline and a couple of others. But not too much help, when the credits read: words and music, vocals, grand piano, clarinet, xylophone, baritone sax and synth by Sweet Baboo, and then he releases it on his own label!

I saw him support Bill Ryder-Jones not long before Xmas, really good.Then you get back home and look him up and realise who he’s worked with, the amount of instruments he plays and the stuff he’s produced and it kinda shocks you because he’s such a talent but no-one (relatively) has ever heard of him.

• Like 1

I found one of my long term wants in London this weekend. Currently listening to it on Spotify on the train home but £12 second hand in Rough Trade of all places.

Im not a huge fan of the band but these Dub sessions I always wanted since I bought a compilation of Richard Norris’ Dub Remixes and one of the tracks was on it

Jagwar Ma- The Time and Space Machine Dub Sessions 

E3B6E631-7D0C-4573-B66E-95ED931E87FF.jpeg

• Like 2

Right so I bought some records in London, as well as the above.

This is my first choice when I've got home.

A band I own nothing by previously but are always coming up on the spotify algos for me and I do quite like what it throws at me and last week, there was a new track on my Release Radar playlist, which was the first track on this new album. That is the only track I've heard prior to putting it on. Definitely in Sonic Youth territory without the extreme Thurston Moore experimentation

Yo La Tengo -  This Stupid World

NDMtNzI3My5qcGVn.jpeg

EDIT: So this is a double album and and at the end of side 2 there is a closed groove on the last track that sounds very similar to the noise my turntable makes when its been playing for a while and the motor is a bit hot. Also as much as it's a double, it only advertises three sides. There is however a fourth, an untitled instrumental

If the creative use of guitar feedback is a thing you like, this album may well be up your street. I'm sticking with my Sonic Youth comparison but parts of this do head into Slowdive (Souvlaki) territory territory too. I'd like to see these live I think

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Right so I bought some records in London, as well as the above.

This is my first choice when I've got home.

A band I own nothing by previously but are always coming up on the spotify algos for me and I do quite like what it throws at me and last week, there was a new track on my Release Radar playlist, which was the first track on this new album. That is the only track I've heard prior to putting it on. Definitely in Sonic Youth territory without the extreme Thurston Moore experimentation

Yo La Tengo -  This Stupid World

NDMtNzI3My5qcGVn.jpeg

EDIT: So this is a double album and and at the end of side 2 there is a closed groove on the last track that sounds very similar to the noise my turntable makes when its been playing for a while and the motor is a bit hot. Also as much as it's a double, it only advertises three sides. There is however a fourth, an untitled instrumental

If the creative use of guitar feedback is a thing you like, this album may well be up your street. I'm sticking with my Sonic Youth comparison but parts of this do head into Slowdive (Souvlaki) territory territory too. I'd like to see these live I think

A friend of mine who is a huge Sonic Youth fan is currently loving this so your point may hold weight. Yo La Tengo based on what I own and have heard haven’t for my money been comparable to Sonic Youth but as there is a gap in that market, who knows. 

Another one off the want list and at a knockdown price. Rough Trade had two copies of this in the rack both identical to each other, Ltd Edition silver vinyl. one priced at £12.99 the other at the full price of £21.99, guess which one I bought? :D

A tip for record buyers, always the check the price of all the copies in the shop, especially in the larger shops, you can often find discrepancies like this

Ahead of his new album due in a month or so, This is two albums ago

BC Camplight - Deportation Blues.

I know I have a certain reputation for obscurity with music but his work really does deserve far more exposure than it gets. People whose exposure to modern alt-rock (hate that term) is around the Arctic Monkeys / The National / Foals really should give BC Camplight a go, he deserves to be mentioned alongside them. Musically, they aren't comparisons btw, just the same level of talent

ODktNzYzNi5qcGVn.jpeg

See, prime example of a record I never get to see. This was released three weeks ago, not hit Liverpool, not even on CD in Probe, that usually stocks at least the CDs of the Stanley / Wiggs compilations

Winter of Discontent

A compilation of early post-punk DIY recordings, including early recordings by now revered bands like The Mekons, Scritti Politti, Television Personalities, The Raincoats and The Fall but also from relative unknowns like The Human Cabbages (from Coventry), the Performing Ferret Band and heaps more. This is the stuff Peel used to play in my formative years, I'll always be a sucker for primitive Post-Punk like this

MzAtNTQ5NC5qcGVn.jpegMzEtOTE1NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Another cheapo 2nd hand purchase from the weekend.

Modern Eon - Early 80s post-punk from Liverpool. Modern Eon are much lauded for their early single Euthenics, they never really became famous in any way but my mate Joe was a founding member but left before this was recorded to join The Passage and another mate of ours, Bob Wakelin who passed away a few years ago is on this, he later became a very well known comic book artist (Marvel) and video game cover artist (Ocean and Imagine)

Alix the main singer / songwriter of the band later went on to become St Che, who only released one album and single but they were produced by Adrian Sherwood so again...

Anyway.... Modern Eon - Fiction Tales, their only album. Bought for a few quid 2nd hand and is a remarkably clean copy

NTI1NS5qcGVn.jpeg

22 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Waiting for something I have or something I know, on this thread. 

See you in a year or six then 😂 

Get outside your comfort zone, try some of the stuff other people post :D

Anyway I've just finished another Stanley / Wiggs Compilation. Early UK 80s synth groups _ The Tears of Technology. You'll have heard of some of these Rob. The Human League, China Crisis, The Pale Fountains, Soft Cell, OMD.... There's an awful lot of Merseyside stuff on here, which rather surprised me as it doesn't get the credit it deserves for being at the heart of the UK synth groups (and a Flock of Seabats aren't even on here)

MDYtMzA0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â