What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

This because I noticed it had Kick Out The Tories by the Newtown Neurotics on it, a band I'd completely forgotten about until I heard a track on the radio t'other day.

Even the Sisters of Mercy tracks are the proto-goth sisters with the drum machine and Ben Gunn who I was, a couple of years later in Uni and on the Ents Ctte with me (probably when I bought this record)

I think I probably bought this because it was a) cheap and b) had the Three Johns on it

Oh and this is one of those records that despite being 38 years old is still in the cellophane

LTg5NDAuanBlZw.jpeg

New vinyl I didn’t intend to get, but it was £12.99

faggots, peas, chips, gravy, bread n butter, mug of tea £4.50

six Welsh cakes to take home to assist with listening to new record £2.20

change from a twenty

spacer.png 

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 3

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

New vinyl I didn’t intend to get, but it was £12.99

faggots, peas, chips, gravy, bread n butter, mug of tea £4.50

six Welsh cakes to take home to assist with listening to new record £2.20

change from a twenty

spacer.png 

spacer.png spacer.png

Individually your dinner seems to have a far greater number of chipses than peases. The balance is too far off. I’m going to reconsider the “like” I gave, which was based on the choice of music and the other elements (excluding the faggitz, as I don’t like them). The outcome really depends on the mystery of tea or coffee. Edit. I see it was tea. Keep the like.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Which version of the album do you prefer Rockers or Scorchers?

There’s not much in it, Scorchers is good because it had a good base to start from. But if I could only keep one? Scorchers. That’s also probably because I always lean far more in to the dub end of things anyway. 

You got a preference?

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s not much in it, Scorchers is good because it had a good base to start from. But if I could only keep one? Scorchers. That’s also probably because I always lean far more in to the dub end of things anyway. 

You got a preference?

No, wheras with the Rainford set, I have a slight preference for the dub version

• Like 1

Anyway I'm on semi-ancient On-U from 1990. The On-U Sound system days

Having put on the sound system myself three times and worked at / paid in / blagged in to loads more this really was my thing around those times

No record would ever get close to the sound system live experience. It really was sort of unqiue back then. Gary Clail would just make up tunes from segments and samples of On-U off cuts as well as completely f***ing up other recognised On-U tunes. Then sometimes you'd have Mark Stewart live rapping over the top of Clails tunes. But anyway, this does take me back to those venues and times even if you can't replicate it

Right now I'm remembering blagging in to a place functionally called the Venue in Edinburgh. Just tell Gary Taff from Livepool is here. The most overconfient blag in the world. The bloke on the door actually did, then Mark Stewart came to the door, and just went yep, let him in. I just sat on the stage with them buying them drinks aside from the occaisional going mental on the dancefloor. Then we went to some party off Leith Walk. How the f*** I opened the venue and did the sound and lights for at least 4 plays / dance shows the next morning I have no idea but thats just what we did back then, work, get pissed, no work, go to gig get pissed rinse and repeat

LTcwODEuanBlZw.jpeg

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Was in a record shop tioday, and thought of you :)

326724794_962718141372518_5051339425132164986_n.jpg

Did you purchase? 

If not how much was it? 

Some of those sigs look legit. 

Brian's doesn't though, and not sure what the one top left is supposed to be. 

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Did you purchase? 

If not how much was it? 

Some of those sigs look legit. 

Brian's doesn't though, and not sure what the one top left is supposed to be. 

Nah.

Don't know if he's priced them up yet?

From a seemingly remarkable collection of signed titles the local dealer just picked up.

Memorabilia isn't my thing, but taken at face value....? 😮 Abba, Stones, Hendrix, Sinatra and Bob Marley to name but some, plus associated paperwork of authenticity.

He knew I'd be interested in having a look, as much as he knows this isn't what I buy.

• Like 1

I'm WFH today so I get to choose the music I work to. It's bloody freezing as I can't use the heating until the boiler guy has shown up to service it but anyway...

The Mogwai soundtrack to the Zidane film. Now on the surface of it, this is a three sided double album. I'm not sure I've ever paid attention to what I always assumed was a blank side D. It isn't blank, it has two untitled tracks on it and they are bloody great, I think the best two tracks on the album

OC01MjU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 2

Now I've warmed up I'm onto Le Mystére des Voix Bulgares

The history of this record is a little bizarre, this actual recording of Bulgarian Folk Music was first released in 1975 after 15 years of research into Bulgarian Folk music by a Swiss Ethnomusicologist, before this a similar recording was released by Elektra records in 1966 and that album was originally released on a French label in 1955. So fast forward to1985 and Ivo Watts-Russell (owner of 4AD records) was introduced to this album from a 4th generation cassette copy by Peter Murphy (Lead singer of Bauhaus) and he became so enthralled by it, he decided to obtain the rights and re-released it on 4AD. Now if you think at the time the Cocteau Twins were still on 4AD and this does sound like a choir of Elizabeth Frazers it was oddly in tune with the current zeitgeist. This version was released to great critical acclaim and not just from the music press but some very notable musicians. Graham Nash declared after listening to the album: "Every musician who considers himself accomplished should listen to (this group’s album) and rethink everything he knows (about singing)."

It really is quite beautiful

LTYwODkuanBlZw.jpeg

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Now I've warmed up I'm onto Le Mystére des Voix Bulgares

The history of this record is a little bizarre, this actual recording of Bulgarian Folk Music was first released in 1975 after 15 years of research into Bulgarian Folk music by a Swiss Ethnomusicologist, before this a similar recording was released by Elektra records in 1966 and that album was originally released on a French label in 1955. So fast forward to1985 and Ivo Watts-Russell (owner of 4AD records) was introduced to this album from a 4th generation cassette copy by Peter Murphy (Lead singer of Bauhaus) and he became so enthralled by it, he decided to obtain the rights and re-released it on 4AD. Now if you think at the time the Cocteau Twins were still on 4AD and this does sound like a choir of Elizabeth Frazers it was oddly in tune with the current zeitgeist. This version was released to great critical acclaim and not just from the music press but some very notable musicians. Graham Nash declared after listening to the album: "Every musician who considers himself accomplished should listen to (this group’s album) and rethink everything he knows (about singing)."

It really is quite beautiful

LTYwODkuanBlZw.jpeg

If I was asked to name 5 acts that remind me of John Peel, this would be one of them, found it perplexing when he would play them, but warmed to them in the end.

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â