What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I think I’ve got 5 or 6 and most of them are fine with some obvious weaker padding thrown in. Kimono smashes it from first to last.

That copy is 49 years old and plays perfect, not a click or a hiss.

• Like 1

Miserable weather needs a mood reversal

Sonido Gallo Negro - Mambo Cósmico

Mexican tropicalia witha  bunch of wild influences from all over the world chucked in for good measure Cha Cha Cha

MjEtMTY2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Strange things happen...

I like Bobby Gentry's voice and I was in town and as I always do, I was in HMV because of the sale

I bought this for £14.99. It's a 100th anniversary of HMV limited edition which they were punting out for £25 which was always a bit much for me but at £15, yeah OK I'll have that. You would imagine that as it is in the sale, there wasn't much demand for this

I've come home and stuck it in my collection on Discogs - median price - £39. It's only once sold below £35 and that was this week - £22. Very bizarre!

NjQtNTU5MS5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 4

Ticked off an item on the wantlist today

LTE1NjMuanBlZw.jpeg

Volume 1 of The Crepescule Collection. Samplers but out by Belgian label and friends of Factory Records Les Disques du Crépuscule. This is the Japanese (Promo) version and I've just realised the Discogs entry is wrong.... nah can't be arsed

Contains a New Order rarity Theme by Be Music which is a New Order pseudonym, A Winston Tong track, one from Paul Haig and the final track from the recently deceased Alan Rankine

I probably paid a couple of quid over its value but I'm ok with that as it was still under £15

EDIT: A closer inspection reveals that Alan Rankine is all over this album, produced quite a few of the tracks

Right I'm listening to this. An early Angel Olsen album, Burn Your Fire For No Witness (I think it's her second album proper.) Why I'm listening to it is another story from yesterday.

I was in Jacaranda Records, just having a  mooch through the racks of interest. I'm in the 2nd hand alternative second and I quickly flick past this as it's instantly recognisable and I know I have it  but I have a quick thought of oh thats odd, thats the exact same version as mine, a Rough Trade exclusive repress from a few years back, wait hold on, how much? £55 are they taking the piss with that price? So I get my Discogs app out and, no they really aren't taking the piss. It has been selling quite steadily above £35 since 2020 and recently has fetched above £50 twice (£66 in one case). The price sticker tells me I paid £18.99 for it in 2019.

So the next question is, how much is a bog standard black first press worth? Median price is about £12 and there are f***tons of them out there. The first press coloured variants are in the same ball park as my copy. I'll never understand this. I buy records for the music and couldn't give a crap about the colour, in fact there is an argument that black is better anyway because black is the colour of the hardening agent. My only conclusion is the cool kid record collectors are idiots

Anyway, thanks to all that, I'm revisiting this album and I think it is much better than my recollection of it, so it'll be being played a little more often from now on

NjYtNjQ3My5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bickster said:

I like Bobby Gentry's voice

The bulk of her recording was done over a half decade, mostly on Capitol. A strong set of albums, plus slightly dull earners with Glen Campbell.

Had a couple of albums, but still bought 'The Girl From Chickasaw County' The Complete Capitol Masters box.

Even the demos are knockout.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xann said:

The bulk of her recording was done over a half decade, mostly on Capitol. A strong set of albums, plus slightly dull earners with Glen Campbell.

Had a couple of albums, but still bought 'The Girl From Chickasaw County' The Complete Capitol Masters box.

Even the demos are knockout.

I have the slightly dull earners with Glen Campbell. I think that’s probably the best description of them only lifted by their voices. 

• Like 1

The under appreciated third album. 40 years old in less than a month. This would have been bought in the week of release

Produced by a young Ian Broudie and also has Shanker (the one one that played with Zappa, John Mcgoughlin, Gabriel, Bill Laswell, David Byrne...) on sitar

This always takes me back to a gig on the tour at the Brum Odeon, I can see the swirling dry ice and Mac's red and black shirt sleeved check shirt (no overcoat - a rarity in those days.) I can still feel the excitement.

Some of the Bunnymen purists hated this album and thought the change of direction was awful. These people were wrong. The band rarely if ever play any of the non-single tracks these days which is a shame

It's not Heaven Up Here or Crocodiles but that is the point, they moved on but were still good. The first 4 albums are all great in their own way. First 4 albums being great is a high bar but some of the big bands of this era managed it. Bunnymen, Cure, Siouxsie all did it

Anyway Porcupine by Echo and the Bunnymen and time for bed

LTQxMTQuanBlZw.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Risso said:

I know the 5th eponymous album isn't generally that well regarded by Bunnymen fans, @bickster, but I bloody love it.

I don’t hate it but it’s also not as good as anything before it. It was a strange time for the band wit PdF going completely off the rails and I think that had an effect. I used to have a copy of the early demos for the album and I genuinely preferred the demos, But it’s not bad, lips like sugar and bedbugs and ballyhoo are probably my favourite tracks from it

• Like 1

Right I'm playing this because I got a bandcamp email telling me that Rocket have just released a brand new 10th anniversary remastered edition of the album and I thought, oh I haven't palyed it in ages.That got me thinking, hold on, didn't they release a new variant only last year, so I checked... Goat - World Music was originally released in 2012, it was then repressed in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, they actually had a year off in 2019, repressed again in 2020, 2021, 2022 and now at the strat of 2023,at least one more (probably not one at all.) Very few of the variants are bog standard black and even before the 2023 variants are added to the list there are already 34 different versions of this album in 10 years but the sillyness doesn't end there. The original release date was 20th Aug 2012 and the 4 variants released in 2022 were released on Aug 19th 2022 but those aren't the tenth anniversary releases :D

FWIW my copy is a translucent yellow 2015 variant. I love the album, the band and even Rocket Recordings would go in my list of favourite labels but come on stop flogging it to death. Free up the space in the pressing plants for some other bands... please

MS01NDgwLmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â