What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

19 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s a good analogy

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never had that idea. Where I’m mistaken, perhaps is that what you say is the same subculture, I just wondered if it wasn’t so sub as to be minuscule and thus not commercially viable in the 70s. I didn’t think of it as being a sampler, more as a triple album that only makes sense as a collectors item released 30 years later, hence the question.  I’m now better informed. And I suppose to contradict myself a bit, there’s quite a chunk of it that I’d happily listen to.

Very hard to judge the numbers, but it was a sizeable minority - certainly would have included all my friends, although I had a reputation as being by far the biggest music geek in the group. It's funny to think about which bands from that album have retained hipster credibility - Can, for example. While others are either derided or simply forgotten. History gets rewritten - to read today's music press, you'd think that Nick Drake was a colossus of his day. In fact, he was just one of scores of singer-songwriters, barely known outside a few fans. Same with Can. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, never.

The internet serves the purpose of label samplers these days. You're even less likely to be picking them up now.

Surprised you haven't got any.

Hmmm? You don't like dance music much do you? :detect:

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

... biggest music geek...

Label samplers can be an attempt to reach out beyond geekery.

Something to tempt the brave, the foolhardy and the skint of course.

They often don't hang together like regular albums and they're not often considered cool by collectors.

I like them though, and still pick them up at the record label fairs. Fresh stuff for the most part. Though will buy an older sampler for classical, or on a whim sometimes?

'Learn Play Bongos With Mr Bongo' was a genuine game changer for me.

• Haha 1

Label samplers were usually cheaper than regular albums, and were incredibly popular among my mates. Some of them were legendary - "You Can All Join In" and "Nice Enough To Eat" (Island) and "The Rock Machine Turns You On" (CBS), especially. 

I inherited what I suppose was my first sampler.

various-artists-dimension-of-miracles-3-

Not even strictly sure it was a sampler, certainly a mix of artists all on the same label, so I guess it qualifies?

It was from 1971 and I've still got it stored somewhere, awaiting a rotation. I've just realised it's approaching 50 years old!!!

But what a list:

A1 Buddy Miles Runaway Child (Little Miss Nothin')

A2 Ancient Grease Women And Children First

A3 Broth I'm A King

B1 David Bowie The Width Of A Circle

B2 J. D. Blackfoot The Ultimate Prophecy

B3 The Second Coming (2) Nobody Cares

C1 Blue Cheer Rest At Ease

C2 Trilogy (14) Comin' Up Soon

C3 United Sons Of America Friends

D1 Rod Stewart It's All Over Now

D2 Gator Creek Home

D3 Exuma Exuma, The Obeah Man

4 hours ago, Xann said:

You've never bought a label sampler? @blandy

Pay It All Back Vol's 1 -5, Wild Party Sounds, Sherwood at the Controls I and II

Good label samplers can be very good, those ones even contain tracks or versions unavailable in any format

Without PIAB 1 and WPS I'd have never got into On-U sound

PAIB 1 was 99p too

• Like 1

I have 3 copies of Doing It For The Kids, a Creation Records sampler. 2 copies are scratched beyond belief, due to wife and daughter. The third thankfully isn't. Its a pretty good sampler as it goes. Momus were the standouts on it, but Felt's Ballad Of A Band is amongst the best brum music you will find committed to record.

61CNH3K3DAL.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xann said:

The internet serves the purpose of label samplers these days. You're even less likely to be picking them up now.

Surprised you haven't got any.

Hmmm? You don't like dance music much do you? :detect:

I’ve got loads of albums that came on the front of music mags, which I suppose or the closest thing,  up I’ve never paid money for a sampler. The radio, friends lending, mix tapes, music papers/mags used to be how I found stuff.

now, it’s more podcasts, radio, friends...

Dance music, no, not so much. My nightclub days are long gone - last one I went to was on holiday in the Caribbean and house of pain, jump around was the tune at that time. EDM mostly shite, though the Trojan dancehall stuff I quite like.

Yeah, there's a good mix and I like the vast majority of what's on there. Wouldn't have considered listening to Bob Darin for example so always worth trying something off the usual path.

It's on the Light In The Attic label, which are often good enough to just buy something completely unknown and untested.

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Jonathan Wilson - Rare Birds

quite a mix of genres, moods and styles but it somehow works as a whole. 

Definitely think the album will improve with familiarity from more listens. 

Ordered. 

• Like 1

26726036138_04e464e4e8_n.jpg because the 'what song' thread put me in the mood, followed by:

39888414384_2b8b466ecf_n.jpg which is a lovely thing, but if I didn't have a Jam flexi disc, this would be the thinnest record that I own and gets a proper bend on when try to remove it from the spinning platter. Followed currently by a nice bit of 1983. The mod revival thing has been and gone, we're not really power pop, so what do we do?

25729213327_74b497da68_n.jpg 38789724230_1bd269be03_n.jpg

I've not been watching a lot of TV lately!

Â