What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If you're stuck in the past I'm stuck in with the time of the dinosaurs.

I was just reading the album reviews in this month's 'Uncut'. I was familiar with virtually everything in the 'archive' (reissues) section - already owned a lot of it. Then I turned to the new albums. 95% of the acts I had never heard of. I read some of the reviews to see if there were any 'sounds like...' reference points. There were - but I'd never heard of 95% of those, either! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If you're stuck in the past I'm stuck in with the time of the dinosaurs.

Depends what you mean. I was brought up on the doors , jimi Hendrix , the stones (blues roots sorta stones), lots of psychedelic stuff too. Bit of Led Zep but then I went to uni and basically spent five years high... in which time I discovered the absolute craziness of the one and only mr George Clinton. Hello funkadelic and parliament and then that evolved too to all sorts and lots of funk in general. So I'm probably on the same page. 

In fact I mentioned Red Hot Chilli Peppers earlier. But, what happens if you get class A addicted chillis to record an album with George Clinton as producer ... yep Freaky Styley is born. Sounds quite dated now but I put that on every now and then. Some crazy funk and crazy bass from Flea on that. 

3 hours ago, blandy said:

@Midfielder - You're welcome. Sleater Kinney packed it in for a while, but recently reformed. The song I linked is from maybe 10 -12 years ago. I have a couple of Yeay, yeah Yeahs albums, but not the one you mention.

Good sir, proceed at once to get Fever To Tell , the first time I heard that I was hooked for weeks. Absolutely amazing album. Deserves volume though. 

Also I have no talent for playing instruments but I have a mate that drums, not in bands anymore but knows his stuff. Hard to please musically usually hates my stuff. I remember the first time I put that on I remember him being distracted like talking to a brick wall. Then it came. Who is this? And starts telling me how technical some of the drumming was. Was proud of that day. Me I'd not even noticed the drums I was taken by Karen O's way of singing like she was having an "O"every few seconds and the sheer courseness if that's a word, of the guitar. Classic album my friend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

One of my favourite bands. Death from above 1979. Here's how it started, Dead Womb. 

Which is ironic because if an A10 warthog could fit into a recording studio and play bass guitar and drums this is exactly what it would sound like... 

Sat in garden ignoring every task that needs doing, having a Ray Winstone (very start of Sexy Beast ) moment on a sun lounger 

Sorry for quoting my own post here but just one random add on as I listen to again seeing it accessible here, well "when in Rome"...

point is this. Whilst I'm not big on critiquing lyrics, love the sort of honesty of the song while at the same time delivering a heavy raw sound:

"we're looking for wives 

so tired of sluts 

coming to us in the clubs

with their cocaine"

which is hardly a great set of lyrics now but kinda not rock n roll while being rock n roll. I'm rambling again

dunno that just really struck a chord with me but yeah I love me some Death from above, daily!

11 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Good sir, proceed at once to get Fever To Tell

The deed is done. £2.01 off the internets for the CD. Naturally, therefore the order cost me £42.83, as, um, some other CDs and a book also got ordered.

• Like 1

Just now, Midfielder said:

What else made the impulse list? 

Not impulse, as such - stuff that I'd added to the basket previously and not got round to buying:

Fever To Tell Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Swear I'm Good At This  - Diet Cig

Darling Of The Afterglow - Lydia Ainsworth

All This I Do For Glory - Colin Stetson (pre-order)

And Foxy Fowler's book  - Absolutely Foxed

Oo oo oo, one more then I'll stop linking. I discovered this band upon playing one of my all time fave PS3 / PS4 games Borderlands 2.... anyway I've even found the borderlands game video whereby the song was playing in the background for any Borderlands fans who will remember this song in the opening credits

The Heavy

Short Change Hero

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not impulse, as such - stuff that I'd added to the basket previously and not got round to buying:

Fever To Tell Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Swear I'm Good At This  - Diet Cig

Darling Of The Afterglow - Lydia Ainsworth

All This I Do For Glory - Colin Stetson (pre-order)

And Foxy Fowler's book  - Absolutely Foxed

I'm gonna get my pen n pad out and try some of these. Doing up a place, have no tv nothing here (all rooms totally gutted) blah blah so all I have is talksport and Spotify on 3G! Cheers as I never heard of any of them! Apart from YYYs

3 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Oo oo oo, one more then I'll stop linking. I discovered this band upon playing one of my all time fave PS3 / PS4 games Borderlands 2.... anyway I've even found the borderlands game video whereby the song was playing in the background for any Borderlands fans who will remember this song in the opening credits

The Heavy

Short Change Hero

Big fan of The Heavy. Great live band too. 

They have a similar groove to Rival Sons who I really like too.

They're all quite different. The colin stetson one obviously. isn't out yet, but if you want to listen to some of his older stuff then try something like "the stars in his head (dark lights remix)" as  a way in. His music is "different" - he plays a mahoosive sort of bass saxophone.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Big fan of The Heavy. Great live band too. 

They have a similar groove to Rival Sons who I really like too.

Yeah me too I don't own their albums but have made a killer playlist of all their stuff on ye olde Spotify. Adding yours too Designer thanks , rival sons. Also I definitely have put this on this thread before but Ah sod it. Royal Blood by Royal Blood. Sorry for the repeat but that's a must own. Poss is a bit heavy for some but album is varied. And like death from above it's just two dudes. 

Just now, Midfielder said:

Royal Blood by Royal Blood. Sorry for the repeat but that's a must own

I think that's a point of taste departure, there :) I can't stand 'em (though I can see why others like them).

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

They're all quite different. The colin stetson one obviously. isn't out yet, but if you want to listen to some of his older stuff then try something like "the stars in his head (dark lights remix)" as  a way in. His music is "different" - he plays a mahoosive sort of bass saxophone.

When you hear something new you kinda think... it's like X meets Y like trying to describe a film to someone. That, I can't , different sound , original. Best I can say is if Aphex Twin dropped the percussion and played some instruments , on acid, that's what he would come up with. Which isn't a bad thing. Like Bat For Lashes without the girlyness and lots and lots of steroids

Edited by Midfielder

Actually one last one since I mentioned Bat for Lashes. At 1 min 53 the hairs on back of my neck stand up as the drum sequence transfers to a modern set ah you'll see / hear. 

Love this woman. Natasha Khan aka Bat for Lashes , song is called Glass

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Midfielder said:

Actually one last one since I mentioned Bat for Lashes. At 1 min 53 the hairs on back of my neck stand up as the drum sequence transfers to a modern set ah you'll see / hear. 

Love this woman. Natasha Khan aka Bat for Lashes , song is called Glass

Me too. Seen her live a couple of times, got all the CDs.

as for Colin Stetson being a version of her without the girlyness and lots and lots of steroids - here's how he does it.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â