What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Been listening to Sams Town by The Killers alot recently. Vastly underrated album and by far the bands best album. Don't understand the love Hot Fuss gets. I don't really like the killers, hated all their albums bar sams town, to me its brilliant.

Just added Kasabian and First Aid Kit's respective new albums to the Spotify library.  Monday off work so I'll give them both a bash during the day!

First Aid Kit is very good indeed!

May want to try Sharon Van Etten - Are We There and the self titled album by Sylvan Esso

Edited by theboyangel

Just added Kasabian and First Aid Kit's respective new albums to the Spotify library.  Monday off work so I'll give them both a bash during the day!

First Aid Kit is very good indeed!

My want to try Sharon Van Etten - Are We There and the self titled album by Sylvan Esso

Yep, it's excellent although I knew it would be!  I'll try them both out mate, cheers!

• Like 1

At the risk of getting on my soapbox again, the 80s was when 90% of new music was utter shite - and the great acts from the 65-75 golden era made the fatal mistake of trying to fit in with it. Dylan, Neil Young and the Stones made some truly execrable albums during that era. Neil and Bob later achieved at least a partial return to form, the Stones never did. IMHO, of course.

The first statement is not a view I share, but the second, yeah. Thing is they changed to sound more like the production and crap sound of a relatively small number of big selling mainstream Pop acts.

But there was some fantastic bands started in the 80s or were going strong then - and some fantabulous music.

from massive acts like REM and the Clash, Kraftwerk, New Order, Talking Heads, The Cure, Bunnymen, Cocteaus, PiL, Tom Waits, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Kate Bush, Talk Talk, The Smiths, the Weddoes, Dead kennedys,  SInead O'Connor,  Sonic Youth, The Blue Nile, Pixies, Midnight Oil, B-52s, Ian Dury and loads of unheard of (relatively) bands like Magazine, Guadalcanal Diary and HMHB and the Fall. The 80's was not the crap wasteland, musically that people say (IMO). Each to their own tastes, though

Of the old guard, the bands that had a certain amount of prog in their musical DNA or who tended to be much more about the music as opposed to the lyrics generally seemed to handle the 80s a lot better than their more lyrically oriented, less prog brethren. Yes, Rush, and even Genesis (who went the furthest out on the 80s limb) managed to incorporate a lot of the newer sound into theirs.

I've heard a fair amount about how Bonham dying was a blessing in disguise as it spared us the specter of Zeppelin in the 80s. I disagree. I can easily imagine a Zeppelin creatively dominated by John Paul Jones putting out some amazing records in the early-mid 80s (of course, I do shudder to imagine late 80s Zeppelin turning in the Motley Crue/Poison direction...).

I don't think I would of liked zeppelin if they would of went through the 80s. The direction they took on ITTOD was a sign of what was to come, page at the time was a raging heroin addict so jones was taking more control. I think you would of saw many musical styles come from them, new wave,world music, a lot of synth. I hated their last album, to be honest though I don't think they would of took the motley crue/poison route. I think they would of been very progressive but not to my taste.

I'm afraid I can't agree about the 80s prog bands. Yes, Rush and Genesis were never big favourites of mine to start with, but once they took on those new influences, I really hated all three. On the other hand, I'm with Levi (and not RV) about Led Zepellin - I actually prefer ITTOD to stuff like Physical Graffiti, and I'd liked to have heard more in that vein (no heroin pun intended).

• Like 1

I'm not a huge prog fan, don't like yes or genesis. Don't mind rush to a degree but aint a big fan,king crimson now there's a different story, I like them. Don't get me wrong I hate not knowing what zep would of produced in the 80s but I think it would of been the route I said. By this time they were in their 30s and had been there and done everything, even their stage presence had changed to a more mature look and less pyro technics. They would of lost their younger audience to a degree but I still think they would of been huge and sold a lot of albums.

Which 23 minutes brings more personal misery - Supper's Ready (1972) (Genesis) or Autobahn (1974) (Kraftwerk)?

Funnily enough, while neither is really my cup of tea, I don't actually HATE either. 

The early 70s Gabriel-era Genesis were full of pompous twaddle, but they did have their moments. But the Collins-fronted 'pop' Genesis were utterly unlistenable. 

And the long version of Autobahn is about the only Kraftwerk track I can tolerate - especially while motorway driving, natch. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â