What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Monaco - Music for Pleasure.

What do you want from me? - It is such a brilliant brilliant record, I'd almost forgotten it then I heard it on Radio 2 this morning. Thanks Chris Evans.

One of my colleagues likes Absolute 90s, they play it on there a bit.

Absolute 90s is quite a potent nostalgia trip in small doses.

Monaco - Music for Pleasure.

What do you want from me? - It is such a brilliant brilliant record, I'd almost forgotten it then I heard it on Radio 2 this morning. Thanks Chris Evans.

One of my colleagues likes Absolute 90s, they play it on there a bit.

Absolute 90s is quite a potent nostalgia trip in small doses.

Yeah like once every 5 years for 30 seconds

;)

• Like 2

At the risk of getting on my soapbox again, the 80s was when 90% of new music was utter shite - and the great acts from the 65-75 golden era made the fatal mistake of trying to fit in with it. Dylan, Neil Young and the Stones made some truly execrable albums during that era. Neil and Bob later achieved at least a partial return to form, the Stones never did. IMHO, of course.

The first statement is not a view I share, but the second, yeah. Thing is they changed to sound more like the production and crap sound of a relatively small number of big selling mainstream Pop acts.

But there was some fantastic bands started in the 80s or were going strong then - and some fantabulous music.

from massive acts like REM and the Clash, Kraftwerk, New Order, Talking Heads, The Cure, Bunnymen, Cocteaus, PiL, Tom Waits, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Kate Bush, Talk Talk, The Smiths, the Weddoes, Dead kennedys,  SInead O'Connor,  Sonic Youth, The Blue Nile, Pixies, Midnight Oil, B-52s, Ian Dury and loads of unheard of (relatively) bands like Magazine, Guadalcanal Diary and HMHB and the Fall. The 80's was not the crap wasteland, musically that people say (IMO). Each to their own tastes, though

• Like 3

At the risk of getting on my soapbox again, the 80s was when 90% of new music was utter shite - and the great acts from the 65-75 golden era made the fatal mistake of trying to fit in with it. Dylan, Neil Young and the Stones made some truly execrable albums during that era. Neil and Bob later achieved at least a partial return to form, the Stones never did. IMHO, of course.

The first statement is not a view I share, but the second, yeah. Thing is they changed to sound more like the production and crap sound of a relatively small number of big selling mainstream Pop acts.

But there was some fantastic bands started in the 80s or were going strong then - and some fantabulous music.

from massive acts like REM and the Clash, Kraftwerk, New Order, Talking Heads, The Cure, Bunnymen, Cocteaus, PiL, Tom Waits, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Kate Bush, Talk Talk, The Smiths, the Weddoes, Dead kennedys, SInead O'Connor, Sonic Youth, The Blue Nile, Pixies, Midnight Oil, B-52s, Ian Dury and loads of unheard of (relatively) bands like Magazine, Guadalcanal Diary and HMHB and the Fall. The 80's was not the crap wasteland, musically that people say (IMO). Each to their own tastes, though

I like a few of those, I hate a few, most of them I tried to convince myself were up to the earlier classics, but ultimately they were... meh. I'm sure if I'd been ten years younger I'd have felt differently, but there it is.

I like a few of those, I hate a few, most of them I tried to convince myself were up to the earlier classics, but ultimately they were... meh. I'm sure if I'd been ten years younger I'd have felt differently, but there it is.

Sure. I think there's a difference, though between music someone doesn't like, and music that's "utter shite". I mean I don't like the Beatles or Queen, but I wouldn't describe it as utter shite, well, [paging Pelle] not the Beatles, anyway...just really yeurgh..I don't get what the fuss is about. It does nothing for me, 99% of it.

Mooney, will you be getting the daltrey/ wilko johnson album. Just saw the promotional ad for it, I'm not familiar with wilko johnson.

Maybe. I want to but it may be just for emotional reasons. Wilko in his 70s pomp was fantastic though.

Billy Joel's new live album, A Matter of Trust: The Bridge to Russia.

Joel basically takes credit for ending the Cold War with those concerts from 1987.

To be fair to him, that was pretty damn unheard of in 1987.

It appears that he did remember his name.

Must have forgot it for ages - he put a new album out recently after a twenty year gap

That's my favourite album from the entire CSNY family tree.

'Laughing' is amazing.

Yeah, I agree. If we leave out Neil Young, as he's a genre unto himself, my favourite CSN solo albums are: 

1. If Only I Could Remember My Name (Crosby)

2. Stephen Stills (Stills)

3. Wild Tales (Nash)

4. Manassas (Stills, although technically a band in their own right) 

5. Man Alive (Stills) 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â