What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees.

I remember seeing this blokes albums in record shops in the seventies, not a clue what he sounded like

I've just wasted 20 minutes of my life listening to the first side of this, which I can only describe as third division Elton John. Somehow this bloke and this album was critically acclaimed (research tells me) and a commercial success. The band on it went on to form Toto. John Travolta was dancing to one of the songs on this when they filmed Saturday Night Fever because the Bee Gees weren’t involved at the time and the record company refused to allow the track Lowdown to be used as it was in some other film

Anyway, my verdict, utter shite! A charity shop beckons, the cover isn’t in good enough condition for a dealer and the resale value is in pennies

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I remember seeing this blokes albums in record shops in the seventies, not a clue what he sounded like

I've just wasted 20 minutes of my life listening to the first side of this, which I can only describe as third division Elton John. Somehow this bloke and this album was critically acclaimed (research tells me) and a commercial success. The band on it went on to form Toto. John Travolta was dancing to one of the songs on this when they filmed Saturday Night Fever because the Bee Gees weren’t involved at the time and the record company refused to allow the track Lowdown to be used as it was in some other film

Anyway, my verdict, utter shite! A charity shop beckons, the cover isn’t in good enough condition for a dealer and the resale value is in pennies

image.jpeg

I tried to find that bench on streetview about a month ago. For no reason at all. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I tried to find that bench on streetview about a month ago. For no reason at all. 

Where is it meant to be? Not that I particularly wish to visit it :D 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Where is it meant to be? Not that I particularly wish to visit it :D 

Avalon in California. 

So moving on…

The Police - Outlandos d'Amour. You’ve heard the singles… there were no more songs to mine the charts with. Decent 1978 pressing in decent Nick, going to a dealer as I have no interest.

currently on Dire Straights eponymous debut. Haven’t tracked down the actual version this is yet but it’s not the very first but is early. In good condition, another one that’s off to a dealer. I can see why people liked them but they were never my thing

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

currently on Dire Straights eponymous debut. Haven’t tracked down the actual version this is yet but it’s not the very first but is early. In good condition, another one that’s off to a dealer. I can see why people liked them but they were never my thing

The debut was ALL about Sultans of Swing, the rest of the album was mostly padding. The second album was a clone of the first, but without any similar standout track. They could have died as a one-hit wonder there and then, but Knopfler had the ruthlessness to sack his brother and revamp the lineup (with a keyboard player). The next two releases (Making Movies and Love Over Gold) were much better all-round albums, and Brothers in Arms established them as mega-selling monsters. As you say, not to everyone's taste, but Knopfler is a talented bloke. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Knopfler is a talented bloke

Wouldn’t deny it, he certainly is. Just not to my taste and never was. Album going in the trade-in pile

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The new Decemberists album is excellent. 

I knew they had one coming out, and made a mental note to investigate.  That track has probably saved me some money 😀. Too derivative. I quite like the odd Byrds song, but…

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I knew they had one coming out, and made a mental note to investigate.  That track has probably saved me some money 😀. Too derivative. I quite like the odd Byrds song, but…

Yes, that track IS very 12-string jangle, but personally, I love that sound. There's one other track in that style, but the rest is much more varied. Quite a lot of brass, for example. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

One of my favorite contemporary bands. Seen them a lot but had to pass on this tour. Need to give a listen to the new one 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

image.jpeg

He owned a well-known venue/club in San Francisco called Slim’s (RIP). Saw a lot of shows there and at most of them an incredibly hammered Boz Scaggs incoherently introduced the band. I guess no one had the guts to tell him to stand down 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

…and just in case you both didn’t know and don’t have, lots of Blue Nile vinyl re releases recently, pricey though.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

He owned a well-known venue/club in San Francisco called Slim’s (RIP). Saw a lot of shows there and at most of them an incredibly hammered Boz Scaggs incoherently introduced the band. I guess no one had the guts to tell him to stand down 

Slim's was a great venue.  I always figured Scaggs was able to get some acts to play there that otherwise might not play a club vs. a theater.

Just now, il_serpente said:

Slim's was a great venue.  I always figured Scaggs was able to get some acts to play there that otherwise might not play a club vs. a theater.

Always liked it, especially when The Twenty Tank Brewery was still open across the street. Was a truly sad day when they closed in 1999 😢 in later years Slim’s and the Great American Music Hall came under the same ownership and that gave them even more booking clout. The GAMH is an awesome venue 

Ultravox - Vienna

Never Really got on with the single, so never really paid any attention to the album back in 1980. It’s actually not bad, going in the keep pile. Also like that it was mixed at Conny Plank's studio so has a nod to its influences.

image.jpeg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â