What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Absolutely comes down to opinion. I agree it’s not the zenith of music but after Let it be and Abbey Road for me. Then after Sgt Pepper it’s Rubber Soul and Help. I think my love of it should be discounted like a 5 star review on Amazon as the Beatles remain one of my favourite bands, in the same way you discount one star reviews from Liverpool based Villa supporters. 

Revolver not making the top five then?

I have three of the ones you listed in mine.

Although as per V4E, I rarely listen to them as an albums, it’s based on memory from years ago. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Revolver not making the top five then?

I have three of the ones you listed in mine.

Although as per V4E, I rarely listen to them as an albums, it’s based on memory from years ago. 

Revolver is significantly further down the list. Not that it’s bad, I like others more. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Revolver is significantly further down the list. Not that it’s bad, I like others more. 

Revolver is probably their best album, it’s got that tune Paul Weller wrote on it, shame they changed the lyrics to be about their favourite government officials the Tory bastards

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Revolver is probably their best album, it’s got that tune Paul Weller wrote on it, shame they changed the lyrics to be about their favourite government officials the Tory bastards

Is that the one where they changed music forever by inventing all these new modern recording techniques that no one else was doing at the time?

Spoiler

:trollface:

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is that the one where they changed music forever by inventing all these new modern recording techniques that no one else was doing at the time?

Reveal hidden contents

Ah that old bollocks, musique concrete had been around since the 50s and one very famous TV theme tune, (Dr Who) composed by Ron Grainer and performed by Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop was recorded 3 years prior to Revolver, reverse tape loops were nothing new.

The whole Studio as an Instrument thing was Joe Meeks recording technique so they didn’t invent that either

The other innovative recording techniques on Revolver weren't anything to do with the band, they were the innovations of the studio staff and the session engineer Geoff Emerick. ADT (Automatic double taping) was literally invented because Lennon didn’t like having to sing things twice to double track his vocals. Yep invented because Lennon was a prima donna. 

Close miked drums…. Geoff Emerick again…

Vocals through Leslie Speaker… oh dear that’s one of the worst claims about Revolver, Brian Wilson did that on a Beach Boys single in 1963

The really is a lot of Beatles mythologising about Revolver and it’s revolution in recording. Those recording innovations, however, were nothing to do with the band and all to do with the Abbey Road staff and Geoff Emerick, the revolutionary stuff the band are supposed to have introduced were all things that had already been done years before.

The Revolver session did revolutionise the whole recording industry massively from a technical perspective but it was shite all to do with the band and most of the claims made about the record just aren't true

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah that old bollocks, musique concrete had been around since the 50s and one very famous TV theme tune, (Dr Who) composed by Ron Grainer and performed by Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop was recorded 3 years prior to Revolver, reverse tape loops were nothing new.

The whole Studio as an Instrument thing was Joe Meeks recording technique so they didn’t invent that either

The other innovative recording techniques on Revolver weren't anything to do with the band, they were the innovations of the studio staff and the session engineer Geoff Emerick. ADT (Automatic double taping) was literally invented because Lennon didn’t like having to sing things twice to double track his vocals. Yep invented because Lennon was a prima donna. 

Close miked drums…. Geoff Emerick again…

Vocals through Leslie Speaker… oh dear that’s one of the worst claims about Revolver, Brian Wilson did that on a Beach Boys single in 1963

The really is a lot of Beatles mythologising about Revolver and it’s revolution in recording. Those recording innovations, however, were nothing to do with the band and all to do with the Abbey Road staff and Geoff Emerick, the revolutionary stuff the band are supposed to have introduced were all things that had already been done years before.

The Revolver session did revolutionise the whole recording industry massively from a technical perspective but it was shite all to do with the band and most of the claims made about the record just aren't true

Got him 🎣

😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Got him 🎣

😉

Probably but nothing I said was untrue.

And it’s still their best album. ;) (because it contains my least hated Beatles song),

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Probably but nothing I said was untrue.

And it’s still their best album. ;) (because it contains my least hated Beatles song),

Do you think your location exacerbates your dislike of them? Not saying the city’s love affair with them is the reason as the music needs to be the starting point, but do you dislike them more because of Liverpool and the Beatles industry. 

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Do you think your location exacerbates your dislike of them? Not saying the city’s love affair with them is the reason as the music needs to be the starting point, but do you dislike them more because of Liverpool and the Beatles industry. 

Absolutely the industry fuels this. It goes back, way back to the late 80s when the Industry was really quite small. There was the Magical Mystery Tour and some shite on Mathew St. The MMT guide was one Paul Beesley, former president of Liverpool Poly Student Union and shite DJ known disparagingly as Cheesy Beesley. He seemed to have a knack of dropping mainly Japanese tourists outside our house on Hope St (some book somewhere once mentioned this address as somewhere Lennon used to bunk off school and go to - their school was just down the road) whenever I was hungover and it was like being papped every time I came out of the door. That word removed is probably talking shite on Radio Merseyside as I type this

The city doesn’t have a love affair with them apart from the council and the people with a vested interest.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2023 at 18:30, villa4europe said:

Have noels new album a listen driving to work this morning, it's just a bit wet and pointless, him and Liam are both at low points

And this is the worst thing you'll hear today

Musically I like what’s going on. Noel needed to sing it in a higher pitch though . Just listened to it , but yeah doesn’t have that sombre mood of the original which kind of helps make the song what it is.

Prince Far-I, Roots Radics, Sylvan Morris (The Original Scientist) and Hope Overton Brown (Scientist) engineering and Roy Cousins producing. Yes two of the various engineers / producers known as Scientist on the same record, there are others. Roy Cousins is the one with the interesting story here though, records with his band the Royals in Jamaica, then disappears. Turns up in Liverpool a few years later and starts sticking out CDs of stuff he had the rights to, including this.

I'm fairly convinced he used to pay for his weed with CDs and his dealer may or may not have been some bloke who just so happens to be the owner of a very well known Liverpool Record Label, which is also how I come to have quite a few CDs on Roy Cousins label, as said La el Boss used to sell them me when he popped around to our office to drop off promos (and sell weed)

Anyway following the @chrisp65rule of dub, it has a very shit cover, it’s not in your face heavy dub, it’s quite gentle lilting dub, but it’s good

image.jpeg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â