What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

spacer.png

Went to an Andy Votel DJ evening, he played a load of Brazilian stuff, picked up the Brazilica CD, that included some stuff by Trio Soneca who did music for the Brazilian TV version of Sesame Street. One of Trio Soneca was a guy called Marcus Valle… and here we are.

• Like 1

Still an absolute classic album for me. I can still remember seeing them for the first time on this tour, I've still got a memory of where we were stood in the front stalls of the Birmingham Odeon, left of stage centre

The gig was a strange mix of all three albums up to that point and given how different the first is from Seventeen Seconds and Faith it shouldn't have worked but it did

It was also strange because there was no support band, instead they showed the film Carnage Visors which was basically a half hour long mad film with an instrumental track by The Cure (its on that there Youtube)

This album takes me right back to that night, every time

I'm also of the opinion that this is one of the very first Post-Rock albums, years before anyone had even decided it was a genre. It still sounds great and not really in a nostalgic way. If this was released tomorrow, it'd get a better critical reception than it got at the time

ZWc.jpeg

• Like 3

spacer.png

So, Curtis Mayfield went to the flicks to see a Sidney Poitier film that included the old gospel song ‘Amen’, he liked the song and later worked on an arrangement of that. The Mayfield version was given a marching rhythm. It was released as a single and included on their 1964 album.

Forward to 1969 and Mayfield plays the riff to Richard Spencer of The Winstons.

The Winstons pick up the song, they call their version Amen Brother and their drummer Gregory Coleman turns the guitar riff in to a drum break.  

The break is later sampled in hip hop, drum and bass, rock, from Salt n Pepa, N.W.A., Oasis, The Prodigy and on, and on, and on… estimated to have been sampled on 5,000 other records. The most sampled sample.

Gregory Coleman died homeless and penniless in 2006. 

Anyway, The Impressions, Keep On Pushing, one of the best albums of all time. This version was bought in about 1983 and plays like new.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Going a bit ambient wibble now with Future Sound of London's Lifeforms from 1994

This is a Promo CD copy but the vinyl version is worth about £75 these days

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

They have just been on BBC4 doing Papua New Guinea on an old top of the pops. 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â