What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

On 20/11/2016 at 16:05, blandy said:

I bit ago I downloaded (legally) a bunch of songs from NPR and one of them came up on my iPod the other day and it stopped me in my tracks. So I bought the album it's from on spec. Very good indeed. Julia Jacklin - Don't let the kids win.IMG_2982.jpg

New one out to day. I pre-ordered it, so it should be there when I get home later. And she's now "heard of" and gets played on the radio n'that too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes. I absolutely Love talking heads. I hate squeeze, though.

I kinda liked them both at the time. But with hindsight, it was all part of my attempt to convince myself that there was something I sort of still liked about music in the late 70s/early 80s. I still have the CDs on the shelf, but never have any desire to play them. 

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes. I absolutely Love talking heads. I hate squeeze, though.

Disliked both at the time. I was very puritanical. I may have mentioned this.

I've since warmed to Talking Heads 'cos of Tina W.

So I thought, yeah I've got a couple of Nine Below albums, but I've also got their less well known incarnation as 'The Truth'. I've got pristine copies of their first album, the 12" singles the EP. I wonder what that lot's worth on a crude tot up on discogs.

Not quite a tenner for the lot.

Seriously, The Truth, Confusion Hits Us Every Time is one of my all time fave records 'cos it's just loaded with memories and great power pop tunes. 

76p

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So I thought, yeah I've got a couple of Nine Below albums, but I've also got their less well known incarnation as 'The Truth'. I've got pristine copies of their first album, the 12" singles the EP. I wonder what that lot's worth on a crude tot up on discogs.

Not quite a tenner for the lot.

Seriously, The Truth, Confusion Hits Us Every Time is one of my all time fave records 'cos it's just loaded with memories and great power pop tunes. 

76p

The prices baffle me, even inside the same artist, htere's second pressings less rare than the first going for higher prices for no apparent reason

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The prices baffle me, even inside the same artist, htere's second pressings less rare than the first going for higher prices for no apparent reason

Record collectors. No doubt there were fewer pressed of the second, so by definition it's 'rarer'. Or some such. The Bob Dylan world is rife with this sort of thing. They can't just be satisfied with a first pressing Blonde on Blonde (or whatever) - they have to have one of EVERY pressing. Actually, two of - one to play, and one to keep hermetically sealed. And from every country. And ones with misprints, or 'unique' stickers on the cover. And in every format (LP, CD, cassette, 8-track, minidisc, etc.) I know of people who have literally thirty or forty different versions of the same album. Certifiably insane. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Record collectors. No doubt there were fewer pressed of the second, so by definition it's 'rarer'. Or some such. The Bob Dylan world is rife with this sort of thing. They can't just be satisfied with a first pressing Blonde on Blonde (or whatever) - they have to have one of EVERY pressing. Actually, two of - one to play, and one to keep hermetically sealed. And from every country. And ones with misprints, or 'unique' stickers on the cover. And in every format (LP, CD, cassette, 8-track, minidisc, etc.) I know of people who have literally thirty or forty different versions of the same album. Certifiably insane. 

I really don't get it, mainly because I buy music because I like it not to "collect" it. The instance I was talking about, there were more of the second pressing but it was coloured vinyl produced a good number of years later

I did find a "rare" KLF single before with the record labels reversed, it's worth a few quid more than the normal version. The silly thing is, the mislabelled ones were sent out as freebies to DJs as I'd never have bought this particular one (it's not one of the classics or early illegal releases)

A nice esoteric one here:

This is a concept album by the group that is better known as Brand X. An interesting slice of prog/jazz fusion/ambient. I picked it up on CD a few years ago, it cost me about £30 I think! It wasn't possible to find online at the time - now it seems to be on all the major streaming services.

Bought this last year sometime, I've played various tracks individually but I bought it mainly as a library record, not with any great desire to get home and play it then a track came on my Spotify today that isn't one of my usual selections and I think I'm giving it a full run through now 

R-12643342-1539518601-9171.jpeg.jpg

but I might just go back to this (which was the track that started it off today)

On 21/02/2019 at 19:16, chrisp65 said:

I'm not a big fan of live albums, but this might be as good as it gets. It captures Nine Below like none of their studio work ever could. The best touring band in their day.

47168470011_162be411ae.jpg

Currently touring. I wouldn't know, but is this the original lineup, or do we have an absurd Dr Feelgood situation? 

IMG_20190225_093832.jpg

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

or do we have an absurd Dr Feelgood situation

The Beat currently have an absurd Dr Feelgood situation as an aside. We have The Beat featuring Ranking Roger and The Beat featuring Dave Wakeling. Neither is as good as the two of them in the same band together.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Beat currently have an absurd Dr Feelgood situation as an aside. We have The Beat featuring Ranking Roger and The Beat featuring Dave Wakeling. Neither is as good as the two of them in the same band together.

Lots of the 60s bands are in that situation - they fall out and each claim their own version of the group - The Searchers, Barclay James Harvest, many others. But, like the two 'Beats', at least they have an original member. The Feelgoods are just a tribute band, haven't had an original for decades, anybody can join. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lots of the 60s bands are in that situation - they fall out and each claim their own version of the group - The Searchers, Barclay James Harvest, many others. But, like the two 'Beats', at least they have an original member. The Feelgoods are just a tribute band, haven't had an original for decades, anybody can join. 

Now that is stupid

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â