What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This is really for the "Piss You Off" or "Don't Get" threads, but... the sheer madness of some vinyl collectors. 

As you know, I'm a big Dylan fan, but my collection (which I regard as pretty comprehensive) is small potatoes compared to the really serious nutters. Quite apart from those who have literally thousands of live recordings (which I can sort of understand), you get the 'multiple versions' types. I saw one guy on FB the other day boasting about the dozens of 'different' copies of 'Blood on the Tracks' he had - including his latest triumphal acquisition, one with a wrongly placed sticker on the sleeve, that was meant for a Fleetwood Mac album. And he paid good money for it. 

Sorry Mooney, I'm a bit like that but only with Beach Boys stuff.

I have 3 copies of Pacific Ocean Blue, the 2008 triple blue vinyl reissue, a US promo white label from '77 and a UK promo from '77/ And a copy of the reissue on CD, and one I got the missus ;)

Other stuff I double up on are usually UK and US pressings as they used to be vastly different, like the 1965 Party lp, the Yank version was a much better gatefold with a sheet of photos; also the Americans only released "Carl & The Passions" as a twofer with Pet Sounds in 1972 so I had to get that. And various LPs I will grab in demo/promo versions even if I have a standard copy.

Oh yeah I have 3 copies of Surfs Up too, an original US press, a white label demo, and a Dutch twofer with Sunflower (I think I have three Sunflowers too...I'll shut up now)

Edited by rjw63

28 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Sorry Mooney, I'm a bit like that but only with Beach Boys stuff.

I have 3 copies of Pacific Ocean Blue, the 2008 triple blue vinyl reissue, a US promo white label from '77 and a UK promo from '77/ And a copy of the reissue on CD, and one I got the missus ;)

Other stuff I double up on are usually UK and US pressings as they used to be vastly different, like the 1965 Party lp, the Yank version was a much better gatefold with a sheet of photos; also the Americans only released "Carl & The Passions" as a twofer with Pet Sounds in 1972 so I had to get that. And various LPs I will grab in demo/promo versions even if I have a standard copy.

Oh yeah I have 3 copies of Surfs Up too, an original US press, a white label demo, and a Dutch twofer with Sunflower (I think I have three Sunflowers too...I'll shut up now)

OK. Well, I don't really get it. If I've got the music, I've got the music. Of course, if a better CD (I only buy CDs) comes out - remastered, bonus tracks, etc. - for an artist I rate highly, then I'll buy it. But I'll get rid of the old one. 

You'll be sad to hear I sold 500 LPs to a dealer for a quid each a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I could have got more if I'd spent ages selling them separately, but I couldn't be arsed. A quick sale, space on the shelves. And it bought me the 12 string guitar pictured in the musicians' thread, with some left over to buy CDs and books. Result. 

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK. Well, I don't really get it. If I've got the music, I've got the music. Of course, if a better CD (I only buy CDs) comes out - remastered, bonus tracks, etc. - for an artist I rate highly, then I'll buy it. But I'll get rid of the old one. 

You'll be sad to hear I sold 500 LPs to a dealer for a quid each a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I could have got more if I'd spent ages selling them separately, but I couldn't be arsed. A quick sale, space on the shelves. And it bought me the 12 string guitar pictured in the musicians' thread, with some left over to buy CDs and books. Result. 

FFS Mike! I'd have had those!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

FFS Mike! I'd have had those!

How much would you have paid me? :) Seriously, there probably weren't many you'd have wanted. And most of them were in fairly bad nick. 

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How much would you have paid me? :) Seriously, there probably weren't many you'd have wanted. And most of them were in fairly bad nick. 

If they were stuff I liked and hadn't got I'd have matched the dealer, but if they weren't in great nick I suppose it's no loss...just don't send me a list :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

U Roy...I Roy...you got anythuing by Me Roy or Everybody Roy?

Fun Reggae fact of the day: U Roy's name comes from a family member, who couldn't pronounce his real name properly. I Roy's is a tribute to U Roy (he's very similar is style).

• Like 2

On 27/05/2017 at 21:29, mjmooney said:

Beyond like or dislike, it's woven into my psyche. That said, it's my least favourite Beatles album. 

Was listening to podcasts while travelling yesterday and  this one came on. Interview all about the mixing techniques, differences, examples, original tapes...etc. Fascinating, even for a non fan.

cfX0ev2.jpg

Anyone in the UK familiar with him?  Never really went mainstream over here, either, though he was uncomfortably thrust in the spotlight when his song "Miss Misery" from "Good Will Hunting" was shockingly nominated for an academy award in '97 or '98.  Amazing songwriter and guitar player with an incredibly devoted following that persists 14 or so years after his demons caught up with him and he took his own life.  His output over only 8 or so years was impressive, and he had a lot of great stuff that was only ever heard on live recordings, usually bootlegs.

• Like 3

Figure 8 was my introduction to him, as well, and I immediately picked up XO and then From a Basement... when it came out.   I just started getting into the older stuff in the past year or so and am now generally liking it better than the more slickly produced later stuff.

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Coltraneballads.jpg

I might have a listen to this, based partly on the fact that I seem to like a lot of the stuff you listen to.  I have to admit that, other than "Blue Train", I haven't found that I enjoy listening to Coltrane nearly as much as, say, Sonny Rollins, Hank Mobley, or Dexter Gordon.  While I recognize his brilliance, I tend to like things a bit more melodic.  When I think of Coltrane I'm reminded of Mark Twain's comment that Wagner's music is a lot better than it sounds.

35 minutes ago, Xann said:

2mqt07c.jpg

Quietworld - 'Relaxalot'

This will give you an idea.

love it!

I'm 15 minutes in and there's something I recognise, not a clue what it is, but I've heard it before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm 15 minutes in and there's something I recognise, not a clue what it is, but I've heard it before.

Someone's 'A Taste Of Honey'? :)

The album's more the Cut & Paste gear - 42:30 is 'Elevator Samba'.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â