What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Not sure if Duke Garwood gets much love from VT, I have a feeling there's a fair few people who would enjoy his album though! (Possibly Designer?)

And you would be right. Had a listen earlier on, very good indeed cheers :thumb:

• Like 1

16325388433_d71595c12d_k.jpg16945449095_d7dbe4a120_h.jpg

working my way through this bunch!

bought at lunchtime for a total of a tenner!

I mean seriously - how often can you get this much quality for a tenner? The only risky one was Johnny Cash. At £3 it looked a little bit worse for wear, but the one track I wanted (another man done gone) is in perfectly acceptable nick, just a little bit of atmospheric background static

...some lovely stuff, but I seriously doubt Jan Peerce's Yiddish Folk Songs will ever get another spin....

I guess the trick is to get somebody to buy it for a tenner.

Edited by chrisp65

16325388433_d71595c12d_k.jpg16945449095_d7dbe4a120_h.jpg

working my way through this bunch!

bought at lunchtime for a total of a tenner!

I mean seriously - how often can you get this much quality for a tenner? The only risky one was Johnny Cash. At £3 it looked a little bit worse for wear, but the one track I wanted (another man done gone) is in perfectly acceptable nick, just a little bit of atmospheric background static

...some lovely stuff, but I seriously doubt Jan Peerce's Yiddish Folk Songs will ever get another spin....

I guess the trick is to get somebody to buy it for a tenner.

Good choices, whats your thoughts on Cal Ford? Love the guy myself, he is pretty much unknown these days, I dont even know if he is still alive let alone performing. 

The Cal Ford and Jack Hudson albums are the two clear winners in that bunch and I genuinely didn't have a clue what they were, a proper shot in the dark.

You might have seen the bizarre coincidence in another thread about the Cal Ford album. I bought it in a lunch hour rush for the comedy 1970's ruffled shirts and wide lapels combo's. Posted the pictures on twitter and one of my mates declared Cal to be a relative.

Chatting at the football yesterday he said he was the step brother of his dad and 'Cal' was simply an abbreviation of his real surname Calvert. He then mentioned that there was that typical ropey dark docks town unspoken history and he suspected there was more to the story. That he suspected Cal was actually his dad. As soon as he said that the resemblance was obvious, they have the exact same chin!  How do you get similar features to your step uncle! 

So, turns out old Cal is a bit of a rogue whilst my mates mum is tyrannically religious. To the point that when Rev Ian Paisley was around town he and she were very close friends and allies - in the period when Paisley was being banned from churches so set up his own. Anyway, Cal looks like my mate Jeff, however that happened.

Then, probably late 60's Cal gets into a serious fight over some deal that has gone sour and acquires a shotgun to go settle the dispute. The family report him to the police and he's caught with the gun and arrested. The family have to pay £100 to get him out (a decent amount of money in '69) but once out basically banish him from town. From 1970 onward he only makes rare unannounced visits at Christmas or funerals etc.. The guess was, he's still alive, somewhere.

Apparently the genre was known locally as 'Cardiff & Western' and it sounds like old Cal was properly living the lifestyle with guns and wimmin and being run out of town. Added bonus, my copy is signed! It's near mint, one click come jump in one track.

The Jack Hudson record appears to be less local, but does say it was recorded at Mid South Wales Studios. Can't find much on him yet.

The Johnny Cash record has a stamp on it suggesting it was bought at Fred's in Pontypridd and cost £1 13s 1d in old money (by my guess about £17 / £18 now).

• Like 2

Listened to the new cribs album a few times now. Sounds very similar to the last one but that has its advantages.

The new Cribs album is absolutely awesome!

One of the best albums i've heard in aaaaaaages! 

Surgeon - Breaking the Frame

surgeon-breakingtheframe-6.6.2011.jpg

Absolutely brilliant album from one of Brum's finest electrical wizards.

A big shout for the Nils Frahm album. He's playing at the Roundhouse this or next week, I probs should get tickets to that.

New Godspeed you black emperor currently terrifying me at work, as expected.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â