What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

That War on Drugs album has really disappointed me. 

I bought it having seen a YouTube video of the band playing live on a US radio show - which was great. All the influences were obvious, and right up my street - Dylan, Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, Dire Straits, etc. Raw and rocky, but tuneful. 

I should have noticed the clue though, when the singer said he took his demos and spend months and months rerecording and overdubbing the album. 

The results are a muddy mess. Vocals lost in the mix, nasty synths, and a drummer that sounds like a bad drum machine. 

I'd go and see them live, but they should keep their hands off the mixing desk. 

Stay away from this new fangled shite, Mooney :)

Thing is, Rob, it isn't at all new fangled. It's mightily retro.

I loved the live performances (with a slight reservation about the uninspired drumming). If they'd only recorded the album live in the studio, or close to it, it would have been great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbzV2Y06G-E

EDIT: The more I listen, the more I realise it's the shitty drum machine that ruins what could have been a brilliant album.

Edited by mjmooney

Dylan - I just don't "get" him. 

I was the same until someone gave me a cassette of Blood on the Tracks about 20 years ago.

Never looked back since.

Edited by Designer1

stm_sweetrevenge_cd.jpg

Canadian psychobilly at its very very best. Its not psychobilly in the strictest sense of the word, Hooch the singer labels what they do as Horrorbilly, its more the punk end of rockabilly, ala The Peacocks. A band with a flawless catalogue this for me is the pinnacle of what they do. From the opening track Thats How She Died to the sparse beauty of I Lied, its perfect. This is a regular Friday soundtrack for me as its so damn good and the over all feeling is "up" and thats what you need on a Friday. If you are looking to give a few tunes a blast, I recommend the videos below.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â