What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Awesome!  That was actually our first (and only) trip there.  10+ hours on the National Express in total that weekend, but totally worth it.  If I lived in the area, I'd probably be down the Bru every weekend.

Great little venue the Brudenell Social Club. Been to some cracking gigs there. A lot of big (well in terms of alternative / underground / indie) artists often say it's one of their favourite venues to play. I love how you still get all the old blokes in the bar, who still use it as a social club.

joy_division_-_unknown_pleasures_blk_men

One of my periodic attempts to try and understand the appeal of music from after the 1975 watershed. 

The only thing I'd ever really heard by JD was "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which I thought was not TOO bad, so I thought I'd give this "classic" a go. 

Jesus, it's shite. Like someone's taken The Damned, Can, The Velvet Underground and The Doors (not the greatest set of influences to start with, TBH) and bled out all the tunes, talent and interest. Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression. Why would I want to experience that? 

Peter Hook: worst bass player ever (at least Sid Vicious had a bit of manic enthusiasm). 

Still, it's got a Factory Records hipster cover, so I guess it must be cool. 

• Like 1

Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression. Why would I want to experience that? 

Could you not ask the same question of a trip to Villa Park though?

Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression. Why would I want to experience that? 

Could you not ask the same question of a trip to Villa Park though?

Yes indeed. 

• Like 1

...One of my periodic attempts to try and understand the appeal of music from after the 1975 watershed. 

The only thing I'd ever really heard by JD was "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which I thought was not TOO bad, so I thought I'd give this "classic" a go. 

Jesus, it's shite. Like someone's taken The Damned, Can, The Velvet Underground and The Doors (not the greatest set of influences to start with, TBH) and bled out all the tunes, talent and interest. Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression....

I applaud you for leaving your self imposed pre '75 safety blanket. You picked the wrong JD album, though. I think you're largely right about it - it's a bit of a lumpy mess, though "She's lost control again" is (IMO) fantastic. Mind you I like all the "influences" and you don't.

Closer, on the other hand, would have been the JD album I'd recommend to anyone. That's perhaps even more gloomy, though, but much, much better performed, written, produced and is a genuine work of excellence.

...One of my periodic attempts to try and understand the appeal of music from after the 1975 watershed. 

Jesus, it's shite. Like someone's taken The Damned, Can, The Velvet Underground and The Doors (not the greatest set of influences to start with, TBH) and bled out all the tunes, talent and interest. Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression....

I applaud you for leaving your self imposed pre '75 safety blanket. You picked the wrong JD album, though. I think you're largely right about it - it's a bit of a lumpy mess, though "She's lost control again" is (IMO) fantastic. Mind you I like all the "influences" and you don't.

Closer, on the other hand, would have been the JD album I'd recommend to anyone. That's perhaps even more gloomy, though, but much, much better performed, written, produced and is a genuine work of excellence.

I actually don't dislike the influences, although they aren't my biggest faves. Curtis did sound like a poor Jim Morrison tribute act at times. 

Incidentally, I thought "She's Lost Control Again" was possibly the worst track on the album. Began to marginally like the last three tracks (Wilderness, Interzone and I Remember Nothing) a wee bit by comparison, but it's damning with faint praise TBH. 

I will be listening to "Closer" on my way home this evening. 

OK. Just listened to "Closer", and - while it's still clearly Not My Sort Of Thing - I agree, it's a much better album than "Unknown Pleasures". 

I won't be listening to UP again any time soon (OK, ever), but I might give Closer another spin. 

• Like 1

I think with me, Closer was sort of one of those albums that wormed it's way in via multiple listens. Not multiple successive listens, but just over time. There was at the start enough to make me feel "I'll listen again" and now, cripes, what, 30 something years later is it, it's a Joy, even though it's not joyful.

Maybe it's partly because a lot of other music I like has the same DNA and then when I go back to it, the original source (albeit it is itself in a line following Can and Neu and etc...) is there in all it's power and inverted glory. And it's got some catchy hooks and sounds.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â