Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Nothing annoys me more than a 2.00 meeting. Means that you have to be absolutely on it, make sure you're totally aware of it, get away from your desk with enough time to grab a sandwich or whatever and be back in time. 

I usually change the default reminder so I know what's going on but sometimes forget then suddenly you have a reminder flash up for a meeting in 15 minutes and I've still not had lunch yet. 

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Don't all calendars nowadays have a "suggested times" feature? Are you using paper invites?

That suggests people give a damn and will spend a few minutes actually committing time to arrange a suitable time instead of inviting a bunch of people who are at lunch, on holiday or dead. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Every week, 1pm on a Thursday is my busiest period in terms of meetings.

I always have multiple meetings in for that time, my record is 8 scheduled at the same time.

Is this unique to me and my company, or does everyone experience this? 

If the latter, what is it about that time that makes it so popular?

Mine is similarly toxic. Someone wants you at a meeting, they invite you at a time that suits them. Doesn't matter how many things you've already got scheduled for that slot. Then they gripe to your boss that you didn't turn up regardless of whether or not you declined the meeting. I'd conservatively guess that I send about 20 emails a week saying "I'm not available then but need to be in the meeting" and they rarely make a jot of difference.

Then you've got the people who can see on Teams that you're not available but try to call you anyway and then, when you don't pick up, try your mobile. 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Don't all calendars nowadays have a "suggested times" feature? Are you using paper invites?

Some of mine are with so many people it's literally impossible to find a slot that's free for everyone.

Or they're with people who are so busy and/or disorganised that they never have a free slot

People tend to just take a stab at a time and hope most people can make it

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it is surprising how many people still don't know how the scheduling assistant works

you don't need to check peoples calendars, it will do it all for you

This is absolutely fine when you're putting in a meeting for one or two people.

Once you get to quite a few participants, some of whom are senior, it's impossible. The scheduling assistant would suggest August 2057

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Every week, 1pm on a Thursday is my busiest period in terms of meetings.

I always have multiple meetings in for that time, my record is 8 scheduled at the same time.

Is this unique to me and my company, or does everyone experience this? 

If the latter, what is it about that time that makes it so popular?

My record is 5, but it wasn't at any specific time if I can remember

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is absolutely fine when you're putting in a meeting for one or two people.

Once you get to quite a few participants, some of whom are senior, it's impossible. The scheduling assistant would suggest August 2057

which one are you using?!

i mean the scheduling assistant on outlook where you pick a day and a time and then pick the participants and it automatically shows you their calendar, when you have lots of people you just prioritise them, the screen below you can put anyone you like in the add new people, that shows me that you're having a meeting at 1.30pm rather than a lunch break or that jacquie as the organiser needs to move her 11am meeting so that 11.30am comes available 

the only downside to that is it cant show external people

Best Microsoft Outlook Scheduling Assistant Alternatives- Easynote

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

which one are you using?!

i mean the scheduling assistant on outlook where you pick a day and a time and then pick the participants and it automatically shows you their calendar, when you have lots of people you just prioritise them, the screen below you can put anyone you like in the add new people, that shows me that you're having a meeting at 1.30pm rather than a lunch break or that jacquie as the organiser needs to move her 11am meeting so that 11.30am comes available 

the only downside to that is it cant show external people

Best Microsoft Outlook Scheduling Assistant Alternatives- Easynote

Yeah that one

Like I said it's fine if you are doing it with a couple of people.

If you're doing it with a lot of people then there will be no gap to put a meeting in.
Or a few senior people, who here at least have purple blocks that literally never end

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that one

Like I said it's fine if you are doing it with a couple of people.

If you're doing it with a lot of people then there will be no gap to put a meeting in.
Or a few senior people, who here at least have purple blocks that literally never end

yeah at my place you pick the most senior person and go with them, everything and everyone else falls around it, or you duplicate the roles, you invite 2 people (or a whole department) that do the same thing and let them organise attendance between them

failing that you will end up in a meeting that goes on to 9pm, the problem I have is that the directors are either an hour behind us over in Dublin or are staying in hotels in Germany and they don't care if you cant make it fit 9am to 5pm, meetings work on their hours and they work all day

26 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you all have so many meetings in your calendars, when do you actually do any work?

its why i can spend so much time on VT...

i have a 3 hour long meeting on a Tuesday afternoon with the client in which maybe 30 mins is for me, problem is its scattergun and my bits pop up everywhere (kw) so not only do i have to attend i kind of have to listen too, its amazing how many times i wheel out "sorry can you repeat that i lost you there"

edit - the flipside is i also get 250 odd emails a day as I'm supposed to kind of know everything that's going on, get dragged in to meetings to sit in the background on mute just for info

Edited by villa4europe

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â