Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Does anyone else ever wake up and have a random song stuck on their head but have no idea how it got there? 

On a similar vein, heard "I Like To Move It" by Reel 2 Real this morning. Been singing it all day. Don't even like the song. 

15 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm the same except for doing it on a Saturday.  **** that, way too many people about and wastes a chunk of the weekend.

It's only therapeutic if done early. I try to get in between 8 and 8:30am. I'm out of the shop in probably just over half an hour. Then I'm home and ready to do whatever just after 9am. Perfick.

• Like 1

I have a couple of hip flasks given to me as a thank you wedding present from the groom(s). Not once have I used them.

I assume other people receive gifts like this at weddings. Do these hip flasks ever get used? 

I kinda like the idea of them, I have this romanticised idea of hiking somewhere, big stick in hand acting as a staff, reaching the summit and then out comes the flask for a dram and toast in the scenery. A bit like that Friedrich painting, but up the Wrekin.

But they always seem slightly too bulky to carry around, which to my mind kinda defeats the purpose. I have a cylindrical flask which is nice to look at but doesn’t seem very practical to carry around on my person.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

But they always seem slightly too bulky to carry around, which to my mind kinda defeats the purpose. I have a cylindrical flask which is nice to look at but doesn’t seem very practical to carry around on my person.

Cylindrical? There's your problem. They're supposed to be flat, with an arse-shaped curve. Hence the name. 

It's been a while, but yes, I've used mine on the odd cold winter walk. 

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Cylindrical? There's your problem. They're supposed to be flat, with an arse-shaped curve. Hence the name. 

It's been a while, but yes, I've used mine on the odd cold winter walk. 

I have one cylindrical and another shaped as you describe. 

The flatter, slightly curved one still feels kinda bulky. It’s not comfortable in a trouser pocket. Maybe in the inside coat pocket is a better location, provided the pocket was big enough.

Of course, there’s nothing stopping me having a bag with me and it being kept in that, but not actually having it on me seems kinda contrary.

Also wherever I am and wanting to use it, I’d also have to not need to drive to get to this hike. Whenever I do go out, I’ve typically driven there first.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have a couple of hip flasks given to me as a thank you wedding present from the groom(s). Not once have I used them.

I assume other people receive gifts like this at weddings. Do these hip flasks ever get used? 

I kinda like the idea of them, I have this romanticised idea of hiking somewhere, big stick in hand acting as a staff, reaching the summit and then out comes the flask for a dram and toast in the scenery. A bit like that Friedrich painting, but up the Wrekin.

I have never seen a cylindrical hip flask.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I have never seen a cylindrical hip flask.

I’ve spent the past 3+ years thinking it is. A quick search tells me it’s something called a hunting flask. 

Ok, so now I have one hip flask and one hunting flask I haven’t found cause to use.

DDB1FBA1-D90C-472B-908C-958C5C269BDE.thumb.jpeg.fe03e9c01e50c99bd03451bfa812d26d.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Also wherever I am and wanting to use it, I’d also have to not need to drive to get to this hike. Whenever I do go out, I’ve typically driven there first.

Ah, OK. I'm fortunate that there are a few nice walks right from my front door. And then there are holiday places. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Could put Ribena in it?

• Haha 1

72 hour protection anti perspirant. 

Who the hell doesn't wash/clean themselves in that time? If I went 72 hours with just a squirt of that on, I'd smell like a decomposing badger. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

72 hour protection anti perspirant. 

Who the hell doesn't wash/clean themselves in that time? If I went 72 hours with just a squirt of that on, I'd smell like a decomposing badger. 

Maybe it’s aimed at the lady or gentleman who sweat at three times the rate of a normal human being and this is the most polite way to market to that particular consumer segment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Maybe it’s aimed at the lady or gentleman who sweat at three times the rate of a normal human being and this is the most polite way to market to that particular consumer segment. 

Could be right 🤔

sweat-sweating.gif

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have 2 unused hip flasks. Never even considered using them. 

What's wrong with a nice pen? 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have 2 unused hip flasks. Never even considered using them. 

What's wrong with a nice pen? 

I have an engraved pint glass from when I was an usher. Never used that either. It’s basically an ornament.

I obviously know that hip flasks are used by those who will want them, but I just wonder how many that are given as wedding presents to best men and the like are ever used.

• Like 1

Sometimes I’ll walk past a fish & chip shop and the smell immediately evokes a memory of fish & chips at the seaside. I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s unmistakably the smell of the chip shop at seaside. 

Other times I’ll walk past, even the same shop, and the smell doesn’t do that. It just smells like fish and chips. 

Does anyone else have that? What’s going on there? Is it that they just happen to be cooking with more salt or something when I walk past in the first instance? Or is it me that’s different and the fish & chips are the constant?

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Sometimes I’ll walk past a fish & chip shop and the smell immediately evokes a memory of fish & chips at the seaside. I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s unmistakably the smell of the chip shop at seaside. 

Other times I’ll walk past, even the same shop, and the smell doesn’t do that. It just smells like fish and chips. 

Does anyone else have that? What’s going on there? Is it that they just happen to be cooking with more salt or something when I walk past in the first instance? Or is it me that’s different and the fish & chips are the constant?

IMO it's you. A bit like how you can sometimes be sentimental watching a particular movie, then on another occasion watch the same movie and be bored off your head. It's a frame of mind thing I think. Your mind can be receptive or unreceptive to things at different times.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have an engraved pint glass from when I was an usher. Never used that either. It’s basically an ornament.

I obviously know that hip flasks are used by those who will want them, but I just wonder how many that are given as wedding presents to best men and the like are ever used.

Probably a whole industry is being kept alive by unwanted gifts.

• Like 1

Â