Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

This may have already been done.

Why do people reverse into parking spaces at supermarkets? I just don't get it

It takes much more effort to reverse in than it does to reverse out and you've just put the boot of your car at the back where its least accessible when you come to put your shopping in the car. It's most likely you won't get your trolley between the cars either side of you which will mean leaving it possibly unattended and having to walk the bags to the boot.

It just makes no sense to me, it will cost you time and effort. It's not something that pisses me off but I just wonder why people do it. What advantage does it give them?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

It takes much more effort to reverse in than it does to reverse out and you've just put the boot of your car at the back where its least accessible when you come to put your shopping in the car. It's most likely you won't get your trolley between the cars either side of you which will mean leaving it possibly unattended and having to walk the bags to the boot.

It just makes no sense to me, it will cost you time and effort. It's not something that pisses me off but I just wonder why people do it. What advantage does it give them?

It has indeed been done, at some length. I disagree that it takes more effort to reverse in. More care, perhaps, but the turning circle is better. And when leaving, you have much better visibility for all the shoppers pushing carts past you. On the other hand, you are dead right about access to the tailgate/boot for loading. So for me, it's a case of swings and roundabouts. I may use either method, depending on how busy the car park is. 

• Like 2

I’ve never bought enough stuff in a supermarket to need to take a trolley to the car. It’ll be a carrier bag full of takeaway.

I won’t reverse park as such, I’ll drive a loop and park facing nose out. I’ll be parking away from everyone else, happy to walk for an extra 15 seconds rather than park next to the sort of people that squeeze in next to each other.

Invariably, having parked on my own up in the far corner, someone will have parked right next to me. **** weirdos.

• Like 1

I try and reverse park all the time, I never did and then realised a couple of years ago that I was shit at reverse parking, I do it now as practice. I have aspirations to be the Alpha male of the parking world and reverse parking was my achilles heal. Not any more. Andrew Tate of the parking game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I try and reverse park all the time, I never did and then realised a couple of years ago that I was shit at reverse parking, I do it now as practice. I have aspirations to be the Alpha male of the parking world and reverse parking was my achilles heal. Not any more. Andrew Tate of the parking game.

One arm over the passanger seat, freewheeling the steering wheel with the other. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I always reverse in. I never have a trolley though, so I just carry my 2-3 bags from the shop to the boot. 

I know you do - and I'm usually the poor word removed stuck behind, waiting to get past as you do your 15 point manoeuvre 😡. Its the main reason I avoid sainsbury at mere green now !

(I bet you wear leather driving gloves too)

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

One arm over the passenger seat, freewheeling the steering wheel with the other. 

Plenty of palming of the steering wheel. Sign of an alpha. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I know you do - and I'm usually the poor word removed stuck behind, waiting to get past as you do your 15 point manoeuvre 😡. Its the main reason I avoid sainsbury at mere green now !

(I bet you wear leather driving gloves too)

Slow and steady ;) 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bickster said:

It’s easier. But I agree it doesn’t make sense when you need boot access

I dislike reversing out of a car park space more than I dislike reversing into one. 

I don’t trust over drivers on a car park and because of that I want to have a better view and reversing in gives me that more than the alternative.

However, most of the time when I’m doing my shopping it’s a quieter time and there are fewer cars so it’s not an issue, I can drive forward into a space in a reasonably quiet car park.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You VTers claiming never to use a trolley - don't you do the weekly 'big shop'? 

I often wonder why anyone would waste time going to a physical supermarket other than for casual purchases,

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My mum does and I’ll take her shopping with me, so I have to consider the trolley when parking.

Myself I’m shopping for me and a bit for my daughter and I find a basket is sufficient. It’s normally Lidl and their baskets are those kind with wheels on. It amounts to about 2 or 3 bags (for life) worth of stuff I carry back to the car.

My big shop normally comes to about 1/4 of the cost of my mum’s big shop.

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Very rarely. when I start to run low on the bulky items I might go and do a larger shop and stock up on things like detergent, dishwasher tabs, loo roll and kitchen roll, big bags of rice and pasta, etc, but that's perhaps every 3 months. Typically, I just pop in every 2-3 days for fresh ingredients

Edited by Davkaus

19 minutes ago, limpid said:

I often wonder why anyone would waste time going to a physical supermarket other than for casual purchases,

Substitutions and stock levels

EDIT: Even worse now they've taken the sell by date of fresh produce

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Does anyone else ever wake up and have a random song stuck on their head but have no idea how it got there? 

Happened to me the other day. Turns out I had been snoring and Mrs Sidcow attacked me with a CD I'd left on the bedside cabinet. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, bickster said:

Absolutely. For supermarkets leave your arse out, otherwise arse in for me.

Â