Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

FWIW I think Elton John did have some professional training as a kid at the Royal Academy of Music. And he is way ahead of the typical pop / rock pianist. I didn’t say he was a virtuoso!

He readily admits himself he was never going to be a concert pianist. Some of his songs from way back when are bangers though.

On 25/08/2022 at 04:32, TheAuthority said:

What the f**k does anyone see or hear in Elton John.

I mean, it's just absolute shite. Nothing interesting about anything he ever wrote.

There's absolutely no explaining taste in music.

At school you could get your head kicked in for liking the wrong band.

It took me decades to conclude that it is better to never share anything you like, because there's always someone who will shit all over it.

If they don't get it, it is always better to leave them that way.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

He readily admits himself he was never going to be a concert pianist. Some of his songs from way back when are bangers though.

I never said he could be playing Chopin in Vienna! In the context of popular music he’s a good pianist and arranger, more interesting than most.

Not sure why I’m defending him tbh, I only like a few of his songs, but got suckered into it by @TheAuthority- will go and hide now in my room. Listening to Tiny Dancer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There's absolutely no explaining taste in music.

At school you could get your head kicked in for liking the wrong band.

It took me decades to conclude that it is better to never share anything you like, because there's always someone who will shit all over it.

If they don't get it, it is always better to leave them that way.

Music is so contextual anyway. What you want to listen to by yourself in the middle of the night is different to what you stick on at a party or what you want to hear live.

Find friends who are open minded about music and have eclectic tastes and just share what you like with them. And keep your music opinions away from the ones who are tribal about it, unless you’re trying to hook @bickster with one of the many great Beatles songs that established them as the finest musical talents in the history of the universe.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not sure why I’m defending him tbh, I only like a few of his songs, but got suckered into it by @TheAuthority- will go and hide now in my room. Listening to Tiny Dancer.

That song is called Tony Danza about the bloke from Taxi.

FFS, you don't even know the titles of your favorite musicians songs!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Music is so contextual anyway. What you want to listen to by yourself in the middle of the night is different to what you stick on at a party or what you want to hear live.

Find friends who are open minded about music and have eclectic tastes and just share what you like with them. And keep your music opinions away from the ones who are tribal about it, unless you’re trying to hook @bickster with one of the many great Beatles songs that established them as the finest musical talents in the history of the universe.

On the subject of crass knee-jerk music criticism, the occasion of hilarity which comes to mind, was being with a mate of mine, who was chatting up a girl at a party, and he asked her what her favourite album was. The Joshua Tree, she replied, and he said with indignation, "But that is totally shit!"

Alas, he was a sad loss to the Diplomatic Service.

As for @Bickster, he gets a free pass because the Beatles have been over-praised enough, and I think he's just winding up Mooney.

Wasn’t that long ago I first learned of the tours Elton John did with Billy Joel.

I can imagine that being an absolute nightmare at times for the crew. Would love to have been a fly on the wall for that. Elton screaming down the place because Billy’s passed out drunk on his piano again.

I absolutely despise 99% of Elton Johns music. Step into Christmas however is an absolute banger to chuck on during the festivities though so for that one song alone he is forgiven. 

McCartney was a lucky Charlatan , the Joshua tree is shit 

And I thought it was just the posters in the bolitics threads that were smoking stuff :)

but , hey ho , music is subjective after all 

as for Elton John … meh 

he came to Brooklands a few years back so i went seeing as it was right on my doorstep and he’s supposed to be this legendary entertainer … that the only thing I  remember from that night was meeting Alan Pardew , that’s all you need to know !!   

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

he came to Brooklands a few years back so i went seeing as it was right on my doorstep and he’s supposed to be this legendary entertainer … that the only thing I  remember from that night was meeting Alan Pardew , that’s all you need to know !!   

Was he having a dance? 

dance-funny.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What does a British person mean when they say they feel like a "mug"? 

Example: "I supported our old manager, but now I feel like a mug."

I feel stupid that I got that wrong.

I was mugged by that idea

I was mugged

I feel like a mug

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I feel like a bit of an idiot now. 

"Are you trying to mug me off?" Are you trying to make me out as an idiot? 

"I feel like a mug" - I've just realised @Xela isnt actually in a wheelchair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sort of related, typically when referring to yourself you might say “muggins here” when suggesting you’re being a bit stupid/put upon.

For example “Not sure how we’re all getting up to Scotland at the weekend, I guess muggins here will have to sort it out.”

Then you have mug referring to your face (hence “mugshot”). Only really used when “ugly” is accompanying it - “ugly mug”. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I just means that we've drunk too much tea. 

parks-and-rec-april-ludgate.gif

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

In that context it's a euphemism for idiot.

It's confusing because depending on context, Mug means multiple things in British slang. The other usual context as mentioned is a face

There's also a theatrical usage, to make an exagerated facial expression but you really won't hear that much outside acting circles and is even then still rather obscure.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

These are universal truths, almost unquestionable

First one, yep. I quite like the Joshua Tree. It’s definitely not “shit” in my book, though everything U2 did after it, and quite a lot of what they did before it is.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â